req: holding the pick

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by milesfastguy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. milesfastguy

milesfastguy New Member

hi people. well im still a beginner. i hope to be a pro someday. well i got this problem. hope anyone can help:
    i get problems in holding the pick. it keeps wobbling and slipping out as i strum. now if i hold it firmly it produces a very hard strum which is undesirable. plz help.
    also i wanna know which is the best way to hold a pick. should i hold it with the tips of my thumb and index finger or between the thumb and the knuckle of my index finger. also while holding the pick in either of these 2 fashions should the remaining fingers of my strumming hand be stretched or curled up?

plz suggest.

cheers.

2. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

hold the plectrum firm between thumb and index finder.
    dont press too hard...just a firm hold...and strum free hand.

3. umangu

umangu New Member

Leave as little of the end sticking out as possible, while ensuring your fingers don't touch the string.

Between thumb and 1st finger.

You gotta hold it tight. The stum-strength should be detrmined by the way you strike the string.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Roughen up the surface of the plectrum so htat you get a better grip - even if your fingers are swaety

5. love_guitar

love_guitar New Member

Just be patient and take your time; it'll come. There is no special technique; everybody who plays the guitar has gone through the same problem that you are experiencing ( unless you are Jimmy Hendrix :) ). Keep on practicing, in a few weeks time it won't be an issue.

6. gauravaerora

gauravaerora New Member

hold it tight between ur thumb and index finger like a key(chaabi)
    u're getting the loud stumming because u're driving the pick too deep into the strings. to get a lower sound,just hit the strings on the surface keeping the pick held firmly between ur finger and thumb

7. munimak

munimak New Member

dude get rubber grip ibanez picks
    i use them but i got em frm the states
    expensive but worth it
    im not sure if u get em in karachi
    i got like 6 cuz i keep loozin minezzz
    alredy lost two in 3 weeks
    these picks are signed by steve vai the great legend
    he uses these picks