Renovate a Givson

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Shredder, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Shredder

Shredder New Member

Hi,

I have a old givson electric guitar , its my first guitar and i dont plan on giving it away or anything (emotional attachment) . its just gathering dust now , so am planning to install a STHR-1b hot rails Seymour Duncan Pickup on it and getting the bridge changed (aka a Telecaster).. now is it a good idea to put a Seymour Duncan on a Givson ? (not really sure whether the Givson would do justice to a SD pup) ...

Appreciate if anyone has any plans/Ideas to renovate a old guitar , would be glad to hear them out .

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

That's a great idea. But change the beck and body too :). Or at least change the neck and hardware and pickups. It will a whole new axe with a different feel.

3. Shredder

Shredder New Member

thanks ronnie .. yeah was tinkering with the idea of changing the neck .. not sure about maple/Rosewood .. thing is dont want to spend a whole lot on it .. but once you start the modifications keep on piling up ...

4. ronnieanand

It wont. Maple fretboards give a bright tone. Any Givson Body is thin, so it wont have a fat tone, so you can keep a Maple neck with a Rosewood Fretboard which will make it sound a bit more balanced. Then go for good hardware and then pickups. Actually neck changing in Bangalore costs about Rs.1500. No idea in the place where you stay. So count on another 1000 for complete hardware change. Plus the cost of pickups. I know a Givson bass which got modified this way and it's a killer now.

5. Shredder

Shredder New Member

well my Guitar wala has given me a estimate of about 5000 which includes changing the pup and the bridge/Volume and Tone POTS/Tuners etc .. he says he will try get a Seymour Duncan pup for 4500 .. will speak to him about the neck and see what he says

6. ronnieanand

WOW. Give me that 5000. I will do it for you and make a lot of money too.

7. Shredder

Shredder New Member

for that ronnie you will have to come to mumbai ... :) ..
    anyway will keep you posted on the progress ... am going to meet him today evening ... (lousy job does not give me enough time for interesting activities like this )

8. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Best of luck with your guitar man.

I once got hold of an old electric once but did'nt upgrade, me and my bro just did a paint job on it (EVH frankenstein one) it turned out looking too cool. But the electronics are screwed (still got 3 cheap little single coils lying around my house).
    But that guitar is'nt with me anymore the guy we borrowed it from took it back even though i spent money on the paint job.