Recording stuff

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

I use to record drums initially on my computer mic and it was good enough, not great though. I am sure this mic wud record better than computer mics. And if this doesnt work then may be use programmed drums for a while...Else can't think of any other option right now..Multiple mics..No ways...No budget...

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

No need to go for expensive equipment. Just buy a regular interface like the line 6 or maudio. And buy a chinese mic like nady. There won't be any dramatic difference in quality between a basic set up and very expensive ones or between the cheaper options -- atleast not in a home recording setup.

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I'd rather have good recording quality than a bunch of Line 6 addons. You won't get those plugins with the Focusrite. You'll have to use other software like Guitar Rig, etc.

4. mymusicmyguitar

But its possible right? I did read about Line6, M-Audioand focusrite a lot on other forums..what i cud gather from their discussion was Focusrite wins over Line6 and M-Audio in terms of recording quality. No comparision..But Line6 is better when u r on a tight budget. Bad reviews about the POD farm..Good for Cleans but bad for Distortion...

I think as of now i am sure that I want to go ahead Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 if i dont come across anything interesting(M-Audio) over the weekend on bestbuy.com

5. mymusicmyguitar

Yeah i was thinking of going for Behringer stuff initially...I wud have wrapped up everything in 150$. mixer, audio interface and Mic... But is it really worth it? Well as far as Behringer pedals are considered they are OK..nothing great about them...They make copies of Boss and others but really not up to the mark.....Does anyone have any experience about Behringer recording equipments?

6. thehundredthone

It's definitely possible.

It may seem like only a minor issue at first but the difference will be audible, home recording is not the same as webcam recording. Quality budget gear is worth the investment. Behringer is notoriously unreliable as far as stability goes.

7. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

On the Scarlett 2i2 I didn't see Phono inputs, for the guitar, are there any?
    I could see the connector for XLR Inputs, is it here that the phono connector also goes in?

8. thehundredthone

Same input. Many interfaces work like that. You can plug in XLR, 1/4", and 1/4" TRS connectors.

9. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Only behringer i have experience with is a pair of monitors(i don't remember the model number), but they not the best, but probably was the cheapest thing available. I woulnd't recommend it. They are not reputed for their built quality.

An interface worth 8K now would have the same quality as the pro systems used in early days of digital recording, that would have cost hundreds of thousands. You would have probably heard songs that were recorded with worse gear.

Refer to my signature. Even million dollar equipment would make your recording sound as good as a recording done in a decent acoustic space and mixed by a good engineer.

Why do you need a mixer anyway?

10. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

You should understand that the bad distortion they are complaining about is in comparison to boutique tube amps, not agaisnt a POD XT. If you like the tone of a POD XT, you can get the same tone here.

11. thehundredthone

He doesn't need a mixer, that has been explained to him.

I completely agree that the acoustics of the room and the recording engineer are the 2 factors that make all the difference, however, it doesn't mean that all recording interfaces are equal. Even a good engineer can't make a pinhole webcam mic record bass frequencies well.

12. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Audio Myths Workshop - YouTube

This video dispels a lot of the myths associated with audio. It (and similar attempts at scientific ratification) doesn't get the attention required.

13. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

The issue is diminishing marginal utility. There is a vast difference between a webcam mic and a Rs. 2K chinese mic. But the marginal utility you gain if you are going for a Tube ribbon mic worth 200K over a mic worth 2K would be inaudible unless all other factors are equal.

14. thehundredthone

Well unfortunately that Rs.2000 Chinese mic isn't going to last as long as the SM57. You forget that I'm talking about the actual component quality. No one is recommending that he buy a boutique ribbon mic or the tape recorder that the Beatles used back in the 60s. You're taking the argument to the other extreme and overlooking the fact that the price range you're talking about is arrived at by cutting corners at even the most basic of levels, for e.g. cheap plastic. We're not at the western level of consumerism where we would seriously consider CD de-magnetisers; our 3rd world "poverty" helps us see through the bullshit.

Rs.5000 for a decent dynamic mic that will last many years if treated right is hardly outrageous.

15. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

There are just 3 things needed to build a homerecording studio:
    1. A (good) PC/ Laptop
    2. A low latency card
    3. Some good DAW software
    Maudio has some good low budget cards
    About the mic, in my opinion you can use any good karaoke mic.
    Ofcourse a professional mic is better, but with a karaoke mic you can make good recordings aswell.
    Just use the needed effects to boost up the recordings!
    And yes, if you are willing to built a professional home-recording studio than you will need some more equipments!
    All my recordings are made with just the 3 equipments as i mentioned above and i have to say, they are sounding (kind of )professional.
    This isn't blague, braggery or something like that, but its just a fact and all i want to make clear is, when you want to built a homestudio, it isn't necessery to spent a lot of money!