Recording setup..

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Dethr0, May 17, 2010.

1. insatanity

insatanity New Member

There should be plenty on youtube. U can also chk ultimate-guitar.com. harmony centeral, thegearpage.net, and thestompbox.net, etc for more info. If ur going for any line 6 interface check if it works with other softwares like amplitube, guitar rig, revalver, etc.

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

I wish to know how good these are. If they're actually good, then I'd say they're the ideal beginning for a cheap recording setup.
    Roland Edirol UA22EX USB 2.0
    Emu 0404 USB 2.0
    Emu 0202 USB 2.0

I deliberately kept the Tascam US144 MKII, Tascam US1641 and Lexicon Omega out. One review said that the first has a flaw with an LED click getting recording while using the line in, the second has great value and a hell lotta inputs, but I doubt if USB 2.0 is up to the task for anything over 2 tracks, and Lexicon Omega...is USB 1.1. What a bummer on such an otherwise great deal (IMO).

3. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage New Member

@ultrabot: Do a search on external soundcards... There's more than just FireWire... Sort of like the E-mu devices.. .i don't think just having a bigger pipeline for the audio signal will solve the OP's issue...

BTW, if you don't like the Tascam US1641 because it's USB 2.0, why do you like any of your other picks?

@dethr0: There are good firewire devices and bad ones... I wouldn't advise getting a low end one, it'll be more trouble than its worth... A lot of people complain about how they stop working when a new version of windows comes out, their computer gets updated, etc... Do some reading...

Plus, while it's great to think about more bandwidth from the device, you'll still need to soup up your computer specs to get lower latencies... CPU, hard disks, RAM...

To paraphrase Dr tweak, "Recording takes more than having just an interface. You need a computer that can handle that data."

If you had trouble recording direct, I think what you really need to do is budget for two things:
    1) Professional audio soundcard (like an M-Audio or the aforementioned ESI)
    2) More RAM

That should see you through with flying colours... It'll also give you time to upgrade other specs like your CPU, motherboard and hard disk as you go along, while getting down to recording right now (I hope)...

I think the POD UX devices are really neat.. Good for vocals and guitar... Plus you'll get great tones... I think they work like external soundcards, because the processing takes place inside, but I'm not sure...

- Jimmy Rage