Recording Issue

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Double Click, Mar 11, 2007.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Its here:
    [​IMG]

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Voila!!!

That was it :) Thanks Alpha1. This is how I'd like to record, with the amp dimed

superb..... :)

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

That mic in is supposed to be pretty crap. If you're not going to use the boost, you might as well plug into the line in.

4. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Its not crap, just different. The line and mic are at very different input impedences. If you were using pedals or wanted to plug straight into the comp the line would be the way to go, but if you're using a mic It's best to go mic in withouht the boost. My mic input level drops to about half when using line in.

I will measure the actual impedences at some point. I need to make another impedence tester after I stepped on the old one and trashed it ;) but it might even be available online somewhere

5. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Yup, checking online confirmed what I thought. A mic is typically at 1.5kohms input impedence and a Line in is around 200k.

Whenever you plug a hi output impedence source (guitar pickups) into a lower input impedence target (mic in) you'll get crap, and that is not at all surprising because any decent guitar amp will be around 100+ kohms.

The reverse is not true though. A low impedence source into a high impedence target will sound ok but output may not be optimum as I'm finding.

My card and mic are a perfect match :)

PS. I think that boost may be for things like lappel mics and internet microphones and such all the micro stuff. mine is a Proton DM-57. Shure rip off but still pro-Audio

6. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU