Recording in Dorian

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by dennis, Mar 21, 2006.

1. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Ok, I was exploring modes and I came up with this:
    https://www.soundclick.com/givsonblues

The timing was off at a few places and i am working on my timing. Please be as brutal as you can in your feedback.

Thanks

2. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

Nice work dude rather AWESOME. Are u using processor n pedal stuffs coz thts y timing issues.

:beer:

3. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Hey Sachoo, thanks. I am using a Givson into an Distortion unit into a delay into the amp. The timing I more of a technique issue which i need to sort out.

fat_kax likes this.
  4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I'm on dialup today :'(

Tomorrow, I check this out.

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

<Tweedling mee thumbs>

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

hmmm...I like it
    The tone and feel was somewhat Floydish, which was your intention I guess?;)
    Technical aspects par..chota muh badi baat nahi karunga:p:

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Cool tune.. Nice playing... At about 1:20 or so, you are doing a lick which you are repeating.. Frankly the lick is good but sounds aweful.. That kinda lick a lot of ooomphh. It had to literally breathe... Without that ooomph in it, it sounds very dry and plain. Except this part all the other parts are pretty cool.. Why dont you initiate a discussion on how you approached the Dorian.. I am tone deaf, so I dont know the scale in which you did.. But how did you make sure it is Dorian which you are playing and not the relative Major Scale or Minor Scale.. Starting from the second note of the major scale wont make it a Dorian. It could still be a Major or it's relative Minor.. I am not challenging, just trying to open out a discussion by which we could share information..

And now for the Brutal Part.....

I'd like to tie you down to a steel bed which is heated up and also keep the thing in Hot Summer in Delhi.. Then get someone to remove you tone nails with cutting plier.. As each nail is removed, would like to cover your wound with some chillie powder.. Using a not too sharp knife, would like to cut you finger slowly inch by inch...

If you find this not Brutal enough let me know, I will think of some Chinese Torture methods specially for you and also have then performed on you when you will join Manhattan ;)

8. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@nebu- thanks yaar.

Thanks for the reply Ronnie. Any suggestions for getting the oomph??
    Ill talk about how i approached in a few minutes, light chali gayi aur UPS ro raha hai.

:RollLol: :Roll:Lol: ...this was funny as hell

slash_i_m likes this.
  9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

*barf*
    *sick people*

And then when I talk about BDSM, others label me as sick.

Dennis, I just heard it very briefly, I'll give it another listen till evening (if possible)

10. vini

vini Repeat Offender

its nice...i liked breathe as well!!...i listened to both of them before u made this thread ;)

fat_kax likes this.
  11. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

Awe Amazement Shock Wow Reps

12. ronnieanand

I have no clues... It's just an ability of how much you can milk out of a single note..

The way you had put that note, it requires a lot more speaking than just sounding as a single note.... Try different kinds of vibratos on it for instance.. Like start with a slow slightly wide vibrato and end it with a narrow and smooth vibrato... Just try different thing... Listen to the solo "Dying For Love - Black Sabbath".. You can see how Tony Iommi extracts juice out of every note

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i agree with that....even i was kinda wondering along the same lines...but any relative minor or a major, could be any other scale in some other mode as well :think: am kinda confused on my understanding of the modes...

i dunno about the oomph in the lick....but i think the repeat goes 1 time too many :eek::

it sounds good tho in its totality

i had said this b4....but breathe sounds like PF :) same song.....:grin:

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Doc, regarding the mode/scale battle.
    If you use Dorian as a mode of Major scale, you will not get teh Dorian feel/sound.
    eg. If I use C -> F-> G -> C as chord progression.

And if I use D Dorian upon it, you will neve ever hear any difference from using C Ionian or A Aeolian modes.

HOWEVER, If you choose to use A Dorian over that chord progression (C F G C) you will highlight the dorian feel.

Hope I was correct, such things are diff for me to explain when not near a guitar.

15. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

thatz solid stuff.nice one i guess cud hav been a little longer.where did u get the BT from ? reps comin

16. ronnieanand

An A Dorian over C F G C might be a bad idea. The scale is rooted in A and these chords dont make a Dorian Progression. Rather play C6 F/A G/A C6 and then try playing the A Dorian... That might work out.. Another thing is these chords are totally Major chords and maybe the Dorian would sound a bit Bluesy too.... Lets take the Chords CMaj7Add13, F/A, G7/A, CMaj7Add13.. By using the CMaj7Add13, it gives you a wider option... CMaj7Add13 = C E G B A. If you look at this chord, there's a E Minor sitting inside, which means now you could play a E Minor Scale or mix up the C Major and E Minor... Or take CMaj7/A and go with A Dorian....

Easier would be

Dm13 Amin7/D Em7 G7 and play the straight D Dorian scale or solo over it.. The difference between a Dorian and a Minor is the natural 6th in the Dorian. The natural 6th in this scale is B. So make sure the note B is highlighted, otherwise it will end up sounding like a C Major or A Minor Scale rather than a D Dorian Scale.

17. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

WOW = ur some guitarist....i sure am discovering that the werld was built to be played on...amazin stuff...reps if it permits..

18. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Yes, Ronnie is correct. The backing track was basically Dmin G7 which is in the key of D. In the track i used D minor pentatonic a lot with the occasional Dorian notes B and E for the dorian feel.
    I guess I should pick with more aggression( at least that single note thing)..agression meaning feel.

Ohh, thank you all for listening.

19. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Hey thanks Doc,
    yeah , i guess i kinda ran out of ideas. I didnt want to play some fast scaler types cuz it wudve sounded crappy+ i wanted to work on phrasing. Guess I still gotta do a lot of work.

20. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

I am guessing C Dorian would be a better choice.