Recommend an axe

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by downinahole, Apr 5, 2005.

1. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

:oops:
    DrSaurabh:
    Meant to say, it's a wonder u wrote the LPs off. Wonder how the word "haven't" popped in!
    Mebbe cuz I "haven't" made a decision yet. (Okay, no lame jokes ever again!)

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

yse let me know of where u get equipment from in uae and at wat kind of prices

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i dint write the LPs off.....like i said..the LPstd in mumbai is around 30 k....so that is above ur limit
    the next best model in the lp range is the LP100 which is 19k
    JS100 is not 25k :) screwd up my punctuation there......its some....$699 + taxes...so around $750..........
    totally agree with rabi, al the squiers ive played had such weak pups ..that it was kinda sad..
    actually the LP 100 is nice ...but the only complaint i have against it......which i also mentioned ealrier is that they do have kind of a crude construction...the finishing of the fretboard is not what exactly what u wud expect.....not too bad tho:)
    @death.dude its next to impossible to get original brand new epi Lp Std for 25 k.....the epi LP std cost $600 in the US man...by the time they come to india the cost goes up by at least another $50.......u will get a epi LP-100 for 19k....

4. SavageSaint

SavageSaint New Member

ever think of trying a Washburn MG-34 Mercury Series (great for metal)

[​IMG]

5. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@downinahole....Ibanez RG or Epi Lp would be the choice i think. Better try all the guitars first.
    @death....Rg 250 is around 26k, RG 370 not available in mumbai! :eek::

6. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Hey there. I just stumbled upon what I think may be a very good guitar given my needs. And it has loads of style to boot.
    https://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ESPKH202
    It's the Kirk Hammettt ESP series. Mebbe the base model. But sounds pretty good from the reviews and the specs.
    And, best of all, it's affordable.
    A quick opinion on this guitar please!
    Dear,
    Savagesaint: The Washburn suggestion was cool, but where can I get one?
    I found a nice pic too.
    https://noxware.co.uk/000_0050.jpg
    And a cool review database:
    www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Washburn/

DrSaurabh: Will check for the LPs I can afford, will get a good idea once I get the Dubai price list. Hope it works out cheaper.

Deathdr_87: Will definitely let you know as soon as I get the info. Tentatively that might take anywhere from a week to a fortnight.

Fictional: I am yet to play an RG, but I infer it's pretty decent from what everyone says. Have tried the GIO Series. They're so so, not good enough. I mean, who'd want a GRG, when the RG it pretends to be is not something that costs a lot. Let's see what we get. i hope i can get the 370 from dubai. Keeping my fingers crossed!

:beer: Cheers!

7. deathdr_87

@drsaurah -ah yes thats the one...

@downinahole: dyu really think u can afford an esp kirk hammett series guitar?????

8. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

He's talking about the KH202 which is a scaled down cheaper version of Kirk's guitar (KH-2). The KH-2 sells for $2,000+ while the KH202 goes for about $500. But just because they look the same does not mean they play the same. I have not heard great reviews about the KH202. It's a cash cow because it sells with Kirk's name on it. It does not come with active electronics either so you won't get that typical Metallica sound anyway. It comes with EMG HZ-4 pickups which are not the greatest. I've heard that construction quality on the 202 is not great and I have heard from people who said the necks on their 202s bent out of shape in a few months. The licensed Floyd Rose bridge isn't the greatest either.

9. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

btw downinahole where do you live?

10. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Thanx a ton death_metal_fan!
    Exactly what I wanted to know. I wasn't smitten by the fact tht it was a signature guitar. I thot it mite be a decent deal given tht it's an ESP (altho a cheaper one) and moreover it carries a licensed Floyd Rose. You've sure saved me a lot of potential pain. could you give me your opinion on the Ibanez S470 coz I think it's in the same price bracket and the reviews in my opinion are pretty good. I'm apprehensive coz I've never seen one.
    Dear Rabi, I'm from Mumbai, (Bombay for the uninitiated).
    Well, any more suggestions anyone? Please keep this thread going coz I still haven't come anywhere close to a conclusion. I'm not in any hurry. i have the better part of two months befoer I make my buy. But I do need all the help I can get in this period. So please reply whenever you read the thread!
    Thanx !!!!
    :rockon:

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I have never played an S470 nor do I know anyone who owns that axe so I can only give you my experience about its components.

Pickups: The Infinity pickups are getting a lot of **** recently. I personally don't notice a huge amount of difference between the PowerSounds and the Infinity pickups. The clean tone is a little varied but that's about it. I can't find any discernable improvement in the distorted tone. Not a great improvment considering that the Infinity pickups are manufactured by DiMarzio. They're not really bad just not what I was looking for. It's a personal preference in my opinion.

Zero Point Tremolo: The Zero Point tremolo is supposed to make life easier for the guy who is tuning these floating tremolo systems by consistently returning the tremolo to the centre point (or zero point if you wish). I have never used one of these but if it does work as it should it will make tuning the damn thing less of a pain. I'm not really a fan of this system but that's probably because I have become skilled enough at 'guessing' how much I need to adjust my Floyd Rose tremolo to get it to zero point once I tune it.

Neck: The Wizard II neck; the same as I have on my Ibanez RG370DX is wonderful to play. It is so smooth and playable that once you play these think necks you'll never want to play thick necks like the ones on B.C. Rich guitars ever again.

22 Jumbo Frets: Don't know if this is a problem for you but this would be a huge problem for me. I usually play stuff like Children of Bodom, Metallica and Megadeth whose songs often go upto the 24th fret. I would hate to improvise on those so 24 frets is essential for me. Not essential if you don't play that kind of music. But the Jumbo frets in either case make it a lot easier to fret the guitar neck.

My recommendation is play and listen to it before you buy. :)

12. rabi_sultan

exactly

all the guitars you have on your list are good quality guitars. time now is for you to just go out and play each one on that list and also to ask the shop attendant to play it for you so you can guage its sound. also check out the versatility of each guitar while your there sometimes the sound you want isn't the one that is being played. don't be shy or reserved when your in the shop it doesnt matter if you waste their time thats what they are there for. to take the time for you to get that guitar you want.

13. deathdr_87

to add on to wat dmf says:

the s series is made of mahogany - that sounds very different from the rg thats made of basswood

mahogany is known to e uncomfortable - i dont know exactly how - but apparantly the s series takes care of that and is very nicely playale

14. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Better things always come for better price. If you get an axe which aint $2000 + , its understood dat it wont give ya what you really expect. You might say you aint dat lucky, however, As they say, you can always eliminate luck. Its better to take someone expert in guitars along wid you or if you are good expert you can go alone and check out the guitars.

I feel dat you can get guitars under 20k INR and still it can rock like bomb! its possible.

Since, you live in Mumbai, maybe you should check out all the guitars shop around here. Take a note of all the guitars they have and the one which are good ones, also their price list and then decide which guitars to go for.

Dont be in hurry. Selecting your guitars is like getting a lovely wife. Dont forget to handle it wid care. ;)

15. rabi_sultan

With the single difference that its not a pain in the ass if you have more than one :rock:

16. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

17. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

:shock:
    I am truly shocked!
    This is the coolest yet the warmest forum on the www!
    So many ppl chip in with such valuable advice, it's like talking to ppl who've known you for years!
    And for all you guys outside India, 25K INR would roughly translate into 500USD, sumthing I wouldn't be able to exceed.
    Well, that isn't a very large budget, but I really can't cough up more cuz I'm studying and my parents aren't really enthusiastic about guitars.
    Please keep injecting this thread with your suggestions and thanks for the S-Series opinion death_metal_fan. That's really awwsum!
    Dear Rabi, you sound like my dad!!! ;)
    Dear Dennis, do you really think I can afford the MH400????

18. deathdr_87

btw - dmf - i dont know if the s seriews is avaial ein ombay and also if itll come for less than 25k - i tihnk a mahogany wood guitar might be a lil more expensive...

not sure - pls. post if u find the price - fr is also planning to go get his guitar - itll be really helpful to him...

opk and i think i ought to mention this - if neone is buying guitars from the us - this might be useful to u -

if ur looking for a really good guitar in budget costs - u mgiht want to go to these shady lil shops and ask for reject guitars - often guitars are rejected from retail simply because the colour is slightly wrong or there was a small scratch on the body in transport - the guitar then is sold for discounts of almost upto 75%!!!

ive heard of ppl buying guitars like this and getting awesome deals...

@downinahole - that price is given in australian dollars - convert to us dollars or inr and see wat the price is then

19. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah dude...its about 500 US$..thats y. I myself am considering buying a guitar in that range, right down ive narrowed it down to a jackson ke3 kelly and an Esp Ltd Mh-400(the one u saw above). Bothe are about 530$.
    The major + point of the ESP are the EMG 81 pickups: these are prolly the best metal pickups. Kirk Hammett uses em!!

20. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Dear death_87
    I did do the number crunching. I always do. But all these prices are sans duties. It's gonna work out to be a lot costlier for us Indians.
    Do you know of any shady shops? I'd love to find out about any good deals I could get. I never knew guitars had a "seconds" market
    Dear Dennis
    Samedaymusic says the MH400 costs 630$ US, putting it way out of reach for me coz after duties, i'll be sunk!
    https://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ESPMH400
    Well, I will enquire though. Also, getting the guitar through the airport is not a problem, I mean every individual can bring goods worth some 25K without paying any duty.
    So, it all depends on the price I get at Dubai.
    Also, everyone, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease check my other thread. (The one about the acoustic Yamaha FG-460S whose worth I wanna ascertain.)
    Thanks!