Recommend an axe

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by downinahole, Apr 5, 2005.

1. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Hi!
    I'm pretty new on the forum.
    I wanted to invest in a good axe.
    I play a wide variety of music, everything from pantera to saigon kick.
    I need a guitar that can handle metal, rock as well as produce a decent acoustic sound.
    Also, I'm pretty keen on a Floyd Rose Bridge with a double action Tremolo.
    I've been thru the forums, but cudn't find answers.

I've shortlisted the following guitars:
    Ibanez RG370/370DX
    Ibanez S470/470 DX/570
    Kramer Striker FR-424/S-424/FR424SM
    Kramer Baretta FR404S/D
    Kramer NightRider FR202US
    Kramer Vanguard S-440S
    Kramer Imperial S-404S
    Kramer Voyager FR-222S
    Epiphone Les Paul Special II
    Epiphone Les Paul 100
    Epiphone Goth Flying V with Floyd Rose
    Epiphone Goth Explorer with Floyd Rose
    Samick LJS-35BS
    Samick Greg Bennett Interceptor 1/2/4 Electric Guitar
    BC Rich Platinum Series Beast Electric Guitar
    BC Rich Platinum Series Warlock Electric Guitar
    Jackson DK2 Dinky
    Jackson Warrior XT Electric Guitar
    Jackson RX10D Randy Rhoads Electric Guitar
    Fender Standard Fat Strat
    Fender Standard Stratocaster

Please enlighten me with the prices of the guitars in India. My budget hovers between 20 and 25K. I don't want amps or effects. Only an electric guitar.

Please lemme know which of these guitars are perfect, which of 'em will suit my style best (I'm keen on Ibanez), which of 'em I can afford, which of 'em I shouldn't even look at, where I can get a good deal.............

Thanks, I'll be waiting for ur replies.

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Look at RG370 for your Metal to Rock playing. RG clean sound sucks big time but you could add some compression, chorus and some tweaking on the EQ to get a decent clean sound. If you want the acoustic kind of stuff, you might add a Piezo element pickup to get you the acounstic sound.

tejas likes this.
  3. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Thanx,
    Lemme be more elaborate about my music interests.
    I listen to
    Grunge:Soundgarden, PJ, Nirvana.....;
    Punk:Greenday, Blink 182....;
    Instrumental: Gary Moore, Hendrix, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen.....;
    Metal: Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Maiden, Judas Priest........;
    Psychdelic: Floyd, Phish.....;
    Rock: Van Halen, Queen, AC DC, Aerosmith, Goo Goo Dolls, Cranberries, Eagles, Def Leppard, Oasis, Sheryl Crow, Smashing Pumpkins,Tesla, Poison, Dire Straits, Morrisette, The Beatles, GNR, REM, Third Eye Blind.......;
    I'm mentioning the popular artists.
    Pardon me if the genres are mixed, but that isn't the point.
    What I need is a versatile guitar that can handle a wide variety of tones without much fuss.
    I lean more towards songs that begin on the acoustic and have riffs kick in later........
    Stairway to heaven, Love song(Tesla), Cemetary Gates, Come Again(Damn Yankees)........
    I don't mind if I don't get a good bluesy tone, but I need a guitar with a good crunch that can handle.
    What pick up config would suit me best?
    Would it be H-S-H of the S series, or the H-H of the metal guitars?
    And, ron thnx for the rg suggestion. Tht is very high on my list. Mebbe after the S. I dunno why I have such a desire to buy the S, mebbe cuz I dunno the price!

4. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

the fenders would only be good for grunge, punk, psychdeliv, rock.

as for instrumental you could use anything. if its a fat strat them depending on how good that humbucker is you could use it for metal.

if you play a LOT of metal then don't go for the Fenders.

to be honest if I were you i'd go out and try the Epiphone/Gibson models.

5. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

B.C.RICH are specially designed for metal. So are Jackson and PRS. Go for B.C.Rich...

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

B.C.Rich necks are horrible in my opinion but that's probably because I have always been used to playing thin necks on my Ibanez and my Hobner acoustic. I had a Warlock before I returned it and purchased my Ibanez. I returned it because first off I could not afford it and second I didn't like it very much. I'd just bought it for fun while they ordered by Ibanez.

On the other hand a Jackson RR or a Gibson Flying V (my all-time favorite metal axe) is a real metal axe.

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

well when ur discussing buying its a good idea to give ur budget...

and dude - thats not a shortlist!! thats more guitars than i want to count

majority of your favs would sound good on ibanez and gibson

problem is gibson might be a little expensive

8. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

H-S-H configuration by all means. get an ibanez, also, by all means.

9. fictional_real

10. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Dear,
    ronnineanand: A little more info on a piezo element pickup pls. A site mebbe?
    The ones I went thru weren't satisfying. They're pickups you fit on an acoustic, right?
    death_metal_fan & fictional_real: Jacksons are a neat set of guitars. I've already seen the site long back, Jenna and all. ;)
    More of a metal brand. Good guitars, I saw Satriani play what I think is the DK2 at the Denver G3.
    Could you gimme the lowdown on prices here in India. Are Jacksons available in Mumbai?
    What's your opinion on the SL3 Soloist. Sounds pretty neat from the reviews!
    Dunno abt the RR, quite expensive and then I'm after the sound not style. Cuz at this price (25KINR) if you look for a guitar with killer shape, you only get pretenders in B.C. Rich and other brands. Guitars with cheap pickups that look similar to the high end performance guitars. My focus is totally on sound and ergonomics, not aestheics. So, no flying V's and Warlocks for me. (Can't pay an additional 5 to 10K just for looks)
    What abobut the Ibanez Iceman IC200. How do you rate that?
    I don't know a thing about PRS. Are they affordable guitars? Any models you'd suggest?
    rabi_sultan: Honestly, before I asked for an opinion I wasn't really keen on a fender, and I guess even now, m not really interested in one. I did want to know wbout the better ones I can afford though. And what about the affinity strats? I dunno much abt fender coz it never really aroused much interest in
    me.
    death_87: My budget's around 25000 Indian rupees for the guitar only sans effects and amp. I did mention that in the first post itself. My "short" list has gotten a bit shorter and then a bit longer n tht's gonna keep happening I guess as suggestions pour in. But I'm inclined towatds an Ibanez RG or an S.

all: Could I get a price list for ibanez, PRS, Jackson, Fender, B.C. Rich in India inclusive of duties and all? (Please don't just convert USD rates into INR as that translates into a very unrealistic price, and could be highl misleading. For eg. The Kramer Vanguard which cost USD 300 on musicyo while it was available, costs in the region of 30-35K INR at furtados. )
    Thanks for everything, and this forum rocks! It's one of the warmest forums (8 replies on the very first day!) and m sure gonna stick around here for quite a while!
    Thanx again!
    :rockon:

11. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

thats a short list!!!!

12. tejas

tejas ..........

I say go for either the Jackson RX10D Randy Rhoads Electric Guitar, or The BC Rich Platinum Series Warlock Electric Guitar, they're prefect for Metal. If you want to play more of Grunge or Rock though, go with the fender. Or look at some ESPs.

13. deathdr_87

25k inrs... hmm... that straight removes any decent prs/jackson/esp guitars..

i think a fender mexican strat is availabe in that much.... - itll e a good buy

14. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Dear,
    deathdr_87: Pretty demoralizing post! What can I really buy apart from a Fender Mexican? ESP I know is too expensive, but how about Ibanez? And what about Kramer. I haven't got an opinion on those. Pls gimme sum guitars tht wud fall within the 25K INR price bracket.

All: I might be buying the guitar from Dubai. Does that make financial sense? i hope there isnt' much disparity between the US and Dubai prices. Anyone has an opinion on getting a guitar from UAE? I think that should be cheaper than getting an import rom furtados. If it is, what guitars can I now dream of? Jacksons???? Ibanez???

And who suggested PRS? I would only get bird inlays for my budget! Yeah, no guitar only the inlays! Even the SE guitars cost a bomb!

Please help me!!!!!!!!!

I haven't been able to shorten my list much, altho I've knocked BC Rich off.
    Anyone recommends Samick? Heard a lot about the ghost guitar builder gossip. How much of it's really true?

Thanks.

15. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

"Epiphone Les Paul Special II
    Epiphone Les Paul 100"
    No.

A fat strat can cover many areas of music.

16. fictional_real

25k will get you an ibanez in India, defenitely. RG is for you.

17. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

stay away from anything built by Squire, they are budget model guitars that are poor. That includes the Affinity Strat.

If you want to know a little more about Fender then check the Guitar Buying Guide in the Beginners Q&A forum (its stickied so its at the top).

As for which guitar you should go with I will again recommend a Gibson. If its unaffordable then i would highly recommend going after the Ibanez models.

18. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

how come nobody has mentioned the variax....thats about as versatile as a guitar can get....
    25k...u wont get a epiphone LP std in that...4get a gib
    go for the Ibanez's they rock...i think not sure..the ibanez JS100 might be a decent choice....has a H-H config...and amazingly s e x y guitar

19. deathdr_87

a js in 25k?? u sure?

ull get an rg in india - but u could also afford a mex. strat which is a good guitar..

unno nething aout uae - haevnt heard muich abt. guitars there..

problem is ull only get a rg270 or 250 not sure which in 25k... the 370s are a lot better..

ull find grgs and all but dont even other - theyre cerap compatred to the rgs...

dude good jacksons are usually for 40k and aove - doubt ull get so much discount at uae

@drsaurabh: u do get epi lps in 25k - dont know where -but an epi lp will cost abt. 20-25k

20. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Dear,
    DrSaurabh: Where could I get a JS100 for aroud 25K. Please temme, I'll buy 10!
    And, I think the only Line6 Variax I can get is the 300. And I've heard it sucks big time. I don't want 25 sub-standard guitars. I want one decent one!
    And do you have a variax or have you really heard/played one. if you have please lemme know more n mebbe I'll consider. If not, I guess it's too risky to buy.
    Since you're an Epiphone guy, it's a surprise u haven't wrote the LPs off! Well, how much does the standard LP cost? Read a lot of threads on LPs, surfed sites, tried one and I'm not that keen on them coz I want a thin, fast neck. Still, I'm not totally against buying one. I might just end up with an LP.
    Death_dr87: M getting the prices in say a week's time, so I'll get to know whether there is a price advantage in Dubai. I think there is cuz it's a fere market unlike ours, where there's so much duty levied that you pay twice as much as the americans do :badmood:
    Dear Rabi: Thanks for the squier advice. I'll look at the mexican strat since everyone's talking so much abt it.
    Anyone: Can anyone gimme the price for an Ibanez S470. Pleeeease, I'd really appreciate it if you could. :giveup:
    Thanx again, n pleeease keep replying.