Rama's bridge & Paranormal Phenomenon Thread

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by DrSaurabh, Jul 15, 2005.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Is this cool or is this Cool? Got this in a mail and searched wikipedia for this.....
    Rama's Bridge, Nala's Bridge or Adam's Bridge is a chain of limestone shoals, between the islands of Mannar, near northwestern Sri Lanka, and Rameswaram, off the southeastern coast of India. The bridge is 30 miles (48 km) long and separates the Gulf of Mannar (southwest) from the Palk Strait (northeast). Some of the sandbanks are dry, and nowhere are the shoals deeper than 4 feet (1 m); thus, they seriously hinder navigation. It was reportedly passable on foot as late as the 15th century until storms deepened the channel. A ferry links the island and port of Rameswaram in India with Talaimannar in Sri Lanka; the Pamban Bridge links Rameswaram island with mainland India.

The names Rama's Bridge and Nala's Bridge originate in Hindu mythology. According to the Hindu epic Ramayana (Chapter 66, The Great Causeway [1]), the bridge was constructed at Rama's request by his subjects, including the Vanara Sena (army of monkeys), led by Nala, son of the architect-god Visvakarman. The bridge was supported on floating rocks but the gods were said to have later anchored the rocks to the sea bed, thus creating the present chain of rocky shoals. It was said to have helped Rama to reach Sri Lanka to rescue Sita from a monster called Ravana, who was then the ruler of Lanka.

Some Hindu groups claim that the bridge is evidence that events narrated in the Ramayana epic actually took place and cite NASA's imagery of it as proof of their claims. NASA has distanced itself from such claims:

"The images [...] may be ours, but their interpretation is certainly not ours. [...] Remote sensing images or photographs from orbit cannot provide direct information about the origin or age of a chain of islands, and certainly cannot determine whether humans were involved in producing any of the patterns seen."

The alternate name Adam's Bridge derives from the Christian mythological notion that the biblical Garden of Eden was located on Sri Lanka.

Archeological studies of the bridge are ongoing, and some archeologists claim to have found evidence suggesting that the bridge is man-made. For instance, some researchers from Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, announced that the "bridge" is only 3,500 years old. However, their article linking the bridge to Ramayana has attracted rebuke from the mainstream scientific community

Sea levels rose about 10 or 20 metres in the 6th millennium BCE to reach levels similar to today, so in 6000 BCE the bridge would have been an isthmus situated above sea level. As such, it almost certainly would have been a viable route for humans to have reached Sri Lanka by dry land.

Recently the Government of India has approved a multi-million dollar Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project that aims to create a ship channel across the Palk Strait. The plan is to dredge the shallow ocean floor near the Dhanushkodi end of the Adam's bridge to create enough leeway allowing ships to pass through the channel instead of having to go around the island of Sri Lanka. It is expected to save nearly 30 hours' shipping time by cutting over 400 km off the voyage. However, efforts to conserve the heritage of the bridge has been initiated under the Ram Karmabhoomi movement

Attached Files:

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

and some more

Attached Files:

3. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

seen this before!!!!!

4. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

All i can say is nice images..... No comments on Ramayana ..... Whooh its irresitable ... to noy comment when its about GOD ,Religion and Mythology ..... Ok here i Go.....

Maybe they created it with the help of my aliens from "Chariots of God" ....... May be Rama existed .... But not the way Ramayana says.......

5. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

there r a million possibilities the closest one is ramayana

6. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

well at dat time there wasnt enuf technology to lay such huge stones in da middle of a sea....and if ur talkin bout chamatkaar.....then u need to grow up...

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

coulnt it be a natural formation
    something from the iceage

8. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

its not chamatkar.....it may be a hard work of thousands of people.........may be at that time the sea was shalow in that area

9. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

who knows?????????????????????????can be...............or maybe ca'nt

10. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

:)..The pics are nice..:eek::Sorry i didn't go through the writings..:)

11. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

well, a lot of construction of the old ages has been considered miraculous considering the lack of technology. For particularly unexplained phenomena, check out facts about Easter Island and Stonehenge.

As for Adams Bridge, it is quite possible it is the cause for the origin of the Ramayana. While I'm not denying that the opposite might also be true, I'm not sure I believe in it.

12. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

yup.....how the hell do u explain the pyramids then?.....they were built at ancient times ....so there's no question of incapability due to technology.....

also there is this artificial island(yeah, heard it right ...a whole freakin FLOATING piece of land!!) created in the middle of pacific ocean by some ancient culture ...(yet unknown)...how was that done?...

u cannot dismiss something as not possible just like that...

P.S. - i'll post about the island if anyone's interested... .

13. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

@cypher ...one more thing...talking about the chamatkar how do you explain the bermuda's triangle

14. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

@dlogic....now i don't want that one creeping in here....;)

15. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@LOE Please do post about the island......

16. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

17. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

@loe just trying to prove ma point

18. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

@dlogic...bermuda triangle...lol...dude...u still believe in dat sh!t.....imao.....boss da last accident to happen there was some 20 yrs back.....
    @bjr...nice links dude...

@loe...yea post dat stuff...

19. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey dude whts the matter with u .... It still exists and it still happens.... ONLY thing is navigation has become better .... so ppl dont go near it so no more accidents there .......

If u go there u will be sucked in ....

20. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

dude...i ws only tryin to prove dat there is nuthin lik "chamatkaar" over there....i kno small boats still get lost nd coz da navigatn has improvd larger ships can pass without gettin hurt.....ma pt ws dat there mite be scientific theory bout dat....