Raja Raja Cholan choirds

Discussion in 'Tamil Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by kishmu, Mar 11, 2005.

1. kishmu

kishmu New Member

Creating new thread as per Jay's request. Midi in https://geocities.com/kishmu

Code:
    Raja Raja Cholan
    Movie: Rettai Vaal Kuruvi
    Cm - 6/8

Intro	| Cm(9) | % | Cm9 \  | \ |

Guitar	| Cm | % | % | % |
    	| Cm | % | Fm | % |
    	| Cm | G | Cm G | Cm G | 
    	| G7 | % | Cm | \ | 

-------------------------

Pallavi

Raja Raja	| Cm | % | AbM7 | % |
    Yennai		| Cm | % | Fm | % |
    Poove		| Ab | Fm6 G | Cm | % |
    Manmeethu	| Cm | Fm Ab | Cm | EbM7 |
    		| Cm | Fm Ab | C#M7 | G4(7) |
    Poove		| Ab | Fm6 G | Cm | % |
    ---------------------------

Interlude
    		| \ | \ | \ | \ |
    		| \ | \ |

Strings		| Cm | % | Bb | % |
    		| Cm | Bb | Ab | EbM7 AbM7 |

Guitar		| G | % | AbM7 | % | x 2
    		| Fm | C#M7 | Dm7-5 EbM7 | Em7-5 Fm6 G |

------------------------------
    Charanam

Kannodu		| Cm | % | % | % |
    Kai		| Fm7 | % | Ab | G |
    		| Cm | % | % | % |
    		| Fm7 | % | Ab | G |

Munthanai	| Eb | % | AbM7 | x2

| AbM7 | % | G | % | 
    pullanguzhal	| G | % | Cm | Fm7 EbM7 | Ab G |

Repeat Raja Raja
    -----------------------------------
    Interlude	
    		| Cm | % | % | % | 
    		| Cm | % | % | % |
    		| Fm | % | Bb7 | % |

Guitar		| EbM7 | % | AbM7 | % | x2
    		| EbM7 | % | % | % |
    		| AbM7 | % | % | % |
       		| Bb7 | B-dim |

-------------------------------------

2. the_googly

the_googly New Member

you have used

Raja Raja | Cm | % | AbM7 | % |

could you please explain why you have used AbM7 instead of G ?

thanks...

3. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

dude what dos your Q mean.. G sounds totally wrong. neways i will let kishmu answer it :)

4. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

not again!!!!

5. the_googly

the_googly New Member

my mistake...

yep. G sounds totally wrong. i did not play the chord. just went by the melody.

I hear G at the end of that line and Ab for a very short duration right before that(on the beat). so... why do we play the chord AbM7 for the next 2 beats?

6. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

G is part of AbM7 thats why u heard it

7. kishmu

kishmu New Member

googly: Jay is right. G part of AbM7. Just try it yourself and compare or listen to the MIDI.

8. the_googly

the_googly New Member

ok.. let me rephrase my question. The AbM7 sounds perfect when the Ab note is played in the melody....

But when the melody note changes to G - Cm sounds better... what ya think?

9. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

AbM7 = Cm with Ab bass. I think AbM7 sounds perfect. Ab doesnt come in the melody of the first line i dont know what you are talking about. melody goes something liek G CC G-G F Eb G

10. kishmu

kishmu New Member

How to make all chords postings in a single place so that they are easily browsable (alphabetically)?

11. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

I don't think that is possible.
    but you can make one sticky post titled "kishmu's chords" or something, and in that you can edit and paste the links of all ur chords posts. So later when u make a new chord post, all u have to do is edit the sticky post and add a link to the new post. I think that would be really useful. your chords rock man!

12. kishmu

kishmu New Member

Good idea. Thanks ananth. Also, I would love to see a similar thread for Carnatic notes for songs. For self-learners like me, it would be very useful.

Your tabs rock too (though I never played them)!

13. the_googly

the_googly New Member

kishmu: could you please explain how you determined that the chord was AbM7? thanks for your time and patience...

14. kishmu

kishmu New Member

googly: you picked a difficult subject - how to determine chords. It comes with lots of practice by listening to constituent notes in a chord. Some things below that are helpful but not a rule.

1. Learn the sounds of cycle of 5ths. Cycle of fifths are chords whose roots progress every 5th interval above or below. For example C-F-Bb-Eb etc for above and C-G-D-A etc for below. Train your ear into listening to successive chords in relation to the one before and after. Now do the same excercise for minor chords i.e., Cm-Fm-Bbm etc.

2. Then try hearing the same chords with different bass notes. For example C/D - F/G - Bb/C etc. Notice bass notes are second notes of the chord's scale. Choose different bass notes like that but follow a strict pattern.

What the above 2 will do to you is accustom your ears to hearing the most common progression heard in popular music and also hear some added note chords. For example Cm/Ab becomes AbM7.

3. Pick any song u want chords to. Note the time signature for example 4/4, 6/8 etc. Generally for slow songs chords can change frequently in a measure and fast songs opposite is true. Slow means lower tempo and fast means higher.

4. By knowing the time signature, split each bar into two. Try to listen to bass and melody for every strong beat. So for a 4/4 song write the bass and melody separately for beat 1 and 3.

5. Now you have two notes in a chord!! Usually that is true, but not all melody resolve to a chord in the strong beat - so beware.

6. You need to now "guess" other notes, for which (1) and (2) will be helpful. Usually the bass note will give you some indication of a chord's function in a scale - usually denoted by a number in roman numerals I - ii - iii - IV - V etc. The caps are for majors and smalls are for minors. For example, take scale of C major. I - the tonic - is C, ii is Dm, iii - Em ..... vii is a diminished chord which normally needs resolution back to I. So if you hear bass note D, and the melody is A, you can "guess" Dm - again not a rule. Chord can be D Major or Am/D or whatever. If you hear F# or F, then D major or minor is easily narrowed down to because it completes all the notes in the chord. If you are not satisfied it is a Dm or Major, listen to the next chord - by applying cylcle of 5ths rule u can guess the previous chord. For example, if the next chord were a simple Eb major, previous chord could be Bb derived - so the chord may be BbM7 (since we already know that there is a D and A in the chord).

7. Learn some common progressions like ii-V-I or ii7-V7-IM7 (translates to Dm7-G7-CM7 for scale of C). Note the sound of M7 - it is a "satisfied" chord needing no resolutions. Diminished on the other hand because of a leading tone needs to push to a more "satisfied" major or minor chord. Same applies to augmented chords - these are incomplete chords. Listen to some classical music, resolutions will become very clear to you (lots of MIDI files available on the web).

8. Finally keep listening everyday to different styles - more importantly, do it "intelligently". Listening to music doesn't mean u shut off your mind and listen to your "heart" - or maybe seek a spiritual intervention (devotion :)) ) Yeah yeah people say music comes from the heart and should be spontaneous blah blah - all that is true only when you become fluent in the art form. First, you need to question with your mind.

Learn to ask simple questions like, what is the melody here, where does the phrase end, what is the time signature - does it have any abrupt change, what is the instrument used for both rythm and melody, why do you think that instrument was chosen, what is the mood conveyed by the composer - does it match the title of the song....the questions are endless. Your musical vocabulary expands if you can seek answers to those - its a never ending journey.

15. kishmu

kishmu New Member

>>kishmu: could you please explain how you determined that the chord was AbM7? thanks for your time and patience...

The bass note there is Ab, melody is G. Try to hear C and Eb, there u go - u have AbM7. BTW its common to see AbM7 or EbM7 in a Cm scale.

16. the_googly

the_googly New Member

kishmu... thanks a lot...

17. srivatsan_p

srivatsan_p New Member

Thanks a LOT for the chords Kishmu!
    And that reply was very very informative ... I'm a guitar newbie and I really wish my master will teach me these fundaes someday :)) Are you anyway from Chennai?

18. andholanam

andholanam New Member

I think he is a long way from chennai :)

19. kishmu

kishmu New Member

:) srivatsan, I am originally from Chennai, now in the US

20. andholanam

andholanam New Member

btw, this song is a classic kishmu offering.