Rack setup - Calling ronnieanand

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nitinzep, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

The way the discussion is going, it's easy to understand that everyone in this thread is an half baked idiot with regard to Rack Set Ups. Soulscape Bro where are you ??

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Soulscape must have gone to fetch a good price of rack; meanwhile, just because ppl here think that high end processors are better deal doesnt mean that they are half-baked idiots.
    If it is tone etc you are referring to, then it is a very subjective topic. I think in that case you must be calling Dimebag Darell (RIP) names too, for he preferred solid state Randall amps instead of using much touted valve amps?

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I didn't say people talking about High End Processors are half baked idiots. I said, the amount of solid information about racks that we are getting on this thread is a clear evidence of that we know nothing about racks properly. How many of the guys in this thread do own a piece of rack for a long time to talk about it. I have only played a few stuffs and have never owned one or really explored one to real details.

Dimebag didn;t want warmth in his tone. To get that kind of crisp cutting tone Solid State is always the thing. Another thing Dimebag is not known for a sweet tone. Most Death metal and other guys will end up using only Solid State amps.

4. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Relax guys... I said that just because he said that.. Anyways Ronnie next time you are going to Chennai please tell me, I will put you onto a guy who has a rack and knows like a LOT.. He should be the best to keep you company here..

5. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

a) Do I need a power amp?? - Not if u're going thru an amp and i would suggest u just go with the 2 things u mentioned n plug into the amp.
    viz Gtr>>>GT2>>>G-Major>>>Amp
    hook up a midi foot controller to the G-Major to control program changes,etc
    thats a neat n clean setup.dont bother thinking about poweramps,cabs,etc till u're well versed with this setup and the workings/tones of rackmounts in-line with stomp boxes.Infact this is probably all u'll need for quite a while,especially if u're a beginner/intermediate level player.

b) Is a guitar/bass amp still required or justa cabinet would do? - Preferably guitar/keyboard amp,thats more than enough for u for the time being.

c) Will a keyboard amp/pa sound better in this setup?? - keyboard amps/powered speakers/reference monitors are also a good option as the tone u'll get thru it will be neutral and wont have the flamboyancy of guitar amps n their myriad textures
    Kebrd amps are good for rack users as u can try out alot of combinations and the output would be unbiased as would not be the case if u were to go thru a guitar amp which are specialized beasts.
    so both guitar n keyboard amps will work for u.
    on a personnel level,keeping in mind your suggested setup,i'd advice u to go through a Marshall MG DFX 250 which are readily available all over as it is a pain getting an amp shipped.u cud later add efx in the amp efx loop n add some to the g major's loop setup too.Roland JC 120 is a good option to besides there cubes and keyboard amps.

all the best.... :beer:

Originally Posted by alpha1
    "Soulscape must have gone to fetch a good price of rack" Whatever did u mean by that?

@Ronnie - I'm here ;)

6. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

^^ Can you post your Rack setup here??

7. nitinzep

nitinzep New Member

@soulscape - Thanks for the advice. I pretty much settled on a similar setup.

Today I tried GT2 on a guitar amp (MG50DFX) and I am a bit surprised to say that the keyboard amp actually sounded better than the marshall . Better as in Significantly (2-3x) better. A very noticable difference between the tone. I'll stick with the kbd amp

The marshall, even with all efx turned off and eq levelled, sounded too bassy in comparison to the kbd amp and turning the eq knobs on the gt2 didnt have as significant a change in the tone as with the kbd amp. Especially the Mesa boogie overdrive lost all its growl with the marshall.

Will try it with a 2x10 or 2x12 combo and let ya know.

8. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ nitin : NOW I ENVY YOU MORE.. has you G Major arrived?

9. nitinzep

nitinzep New Member

hehehehe...did the mesa boogie overdrive turn you all green ;) I LOVE IT

No bro...still waiting for the G-major. A friend of mine is getting it from the US next week.

10. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Nitin : Post some sound clips.. I'll get a good setup after Jan Exams then we can compete.. What say??