Rack setup - Calling ronnieanand

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nitinzep, Dec 14, 2005.

1. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Chintan : we're fighting in between these guys serious talking.. Lets settle it when you come to check out my guitar...

@ alpha 1 : It totally depends on what you set on your amp.. If you get a good clean tone on an amp.. Like the ones i've tried Peavey, then the amp will add to your already good tone.. Without amplification, your tone will suck on stage.. On the contrary you will get a studio sound.. But when you send it thru the PA it will be empty..

You should have heard Myndsnare in Freedom Jam.. They used a processor(Yes!!) right thru the PA.. It sucked so bad that people even went away.. I can give you a lot of examples of such incidents.. I talked to Naveen Thomas(parousia) I mentioned this situation.. He said the same thing.. a Combo will be the best otion in a rack rather than taking the sansamp thru the cabinet.. You NEED amplification..

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Affirmative

Besides, I cannot imagine the band forgetting even the basics of getting a good tone. What about using cabinet resonator emulator feature taht is available on all processors. I have never used it, but surely it should make the tone more acceptable if direct line-in/line-out is being used.

3. nitinzep

nitinzep New Member

4. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Alpha 1: I use a GT8.. I use a preamp, then a speaker(cabinet) emulator , distortion etc.. Whatever you do.. YOU NEED AMPLIFICATION... It will definately make the tone better.. BUT nothing on the processor can amplify like a REAL Amplifier...

@ Nitinzep : Nice link..

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

A Pedal to a speaker Cabinet :nw: :nw: Hindirox you are the dude :nw: :nw:

You know the secret recipe to kick Marshalls and Mesa Boogie out of business.

6. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Ha ha !!!!!!! Yup wonder how thats evcer possible ....... So soon amps will be over ... people will just get pedals and put it to a speaker !!!!!!

7. ronnieanand

Let me get a few definitions right, so that there's no misleading happens.

Distortions / Overdrive: Initially they got them through old amps played over saturated or using damaged speakers cones. Torn Speaker Papers chould distort too . Then better methods like using a Treble Boost or a Clean Boost or even an Overdrive pedal to drive the amp into saturation. Basically distortion has always been from the amps. The Distortion gadgets are actually amp sims themselves. Some stuffs like Sansamp GT2 are still called Amp Simulators and has three different amp sims. Infact it's not even a modeller. It's an analog circuitry not some DSP modelling thingy. All Distortion Pedals are amp simulators but not amp modellers. Processors provides Distortion through Amp modelling. Modelling basically means try to reproduce a particular waveform through various Wave Shaping Techniques. Signal Processing Algorithms are popular methods used in Processors. Methods like Clipping are popular in Analog Distortion Pedals. Saturation are used in Overdrive Pedals like TS9, MXR104, etc...

Cabinet Simulation: To make the sound look large, Speaker Cabinets are used. To capture that effect, these Speaker Cabinets are mic-ed and then taken to the Studio Console. Amp Simulators kinda capture these, so that you can take the pedal straight to the recording console or a PC or things like that. This saves a lot of headache of mic-ing the speaker cabinet. You still can record without the cabinet emulation but that large sound will be lost. I have seen schematics of Cabinet Simulators and it has nothing to make it kick away the need for a basic Amplifier. Usually 2 cabinet simulators dont really sound great. So for gigs, it's kinda better to turn one of them off. Either turn off the cabinet simulator or take your processor output straight to the PA.

I see a lot of mixing of terms cabinet modelling and amp modelling happening. So my 1 penny info,

8. ronnieanand

Hey Nitin,
    I am not the guy for racks. I have just played on a few racks. On the Clean Racks I have only played through Rocktron Intelliflex, Alesis Quadraverb, Alesis Midiverb 2. They are okay. Nothing great about them. Rocktron Short Timer Pedal has a better delay. Maxon Chorus can kick these effects in the Chorus section. All these have excellent reverbs though. Very lush and natural. But anyway, these are way ahead that the processors. On the low budget, check out these clean racks.

Rocktron Intelliflex
    Rocktron Chamellion (Multifx. Has Distortion Too)
    Alesis Quadraverb
    Alesis Midiverb
    Lexicon MP series
    Lexicon MPX series
    Lexicon PCM series. Expensive but 100% pro gear.
    Art Pre amp
    TC Electronic G Major.

The delays are okay.

For real info on racks talk to Soulscape on IGT. He is the king of racks. He's a great guitarist too. Plus a real nice chap willing to help.

9. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Ronnie : LOL thats the effects chain in my processor.. I dont use a Pedal to a Speaker Sim LOL.. So using a send recieve i get the AMP in between the Preamp and the Speaker Sim.. Now whats so funny about that?? You really should stop going to Pecos.. And start living with some friend.. Take up meditation.. You are out of control....

Everyother info ^^^ .. Thanks..

10. tarun_sharma

tarun_sharma New Member

Hey i am new here ... I wanted to start an event organising company could you plz help me .,..
    Or a software company ... wht do you think i should do ?

11. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I thought so

Yes, I actualy wondered what was going on...Hindirox evidently meant using the different features available in the processor. It usually starts with a boost, then compressor / isolator, then the others, but a cab modulation like stack / bright / brigt combo etc comes in between, and then you have the echo/delay effects and then it goes to line out. Its the way processors work, so nothing funny I think?

12. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

You should register yourself on LinuxQuestions.org for anything to do with REAL software..

For event management, work with some company like DNA networkds first and then try starting your own.. To get into events, you got to know every sound provider in your city, their rates.. YOu got to know couple of places where you can conduct shows or whatever events they may be.. Got to know some sponsors who will actualyl give you money.. And if you are in Bangalore you got to PM me.. I'll help you..

13. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

:help: ^^^^^^^^^^^^

14. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ sanjiv Thankss...

@Chintan : Spammer!!!!

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

back to topic

Well there is still a lotsa nebulous matter over the question of low end racks vs high end processors?

Which one serves better?

16. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

I'm all for Racks.. I'm not FOR low end Racks..

You cannot say whats better whats now.. Each one has its own Pro's and Con's Its just what you want that matters..

I guess a High End Processor is Much Much better than Low End Racks.. It only makes sense to have a rack when its proper and FULLY LOADED.. (Its a Mitsubishi EVO)

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

So BOSS GT-8 does kick low end Rack's Ass.

Thats what I meant.

It is similar to getting a high end Epiphone rather than low end Gibson (thoug i dunno if there are any low end Gibsons)

Rather - better to buy a high end Tansen than low end Ibanez (yeah that makes more sense)

18. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^
    Jackhammer is good for Marshall Stack sound.
    But what about Mesa/Boogie tone?

I know one AMT pedal which kinda comes close to Mesa/Boogie sound.

20. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Alpha1: I kind of agree.....

AMT's are fine..
    But Intelliflex has got some good tones..

Why not try the G Force instead of the G Major.. That will be a deadly combo..

G Force + Intelliflex + Jackhammer + Peavey 5150 Combo..