Rack setup - Calling ronnieanand

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nitinzep, Dec 14, 2005.

1. nitinzep

nitinzep New Member

I have been trying to understand rack effects and their setup etc after reading a suggestion by ronnieanand in a thread. The audio samples on TC Electronics and Tech21's site just blew me away. IMO these things put GNX/COSM/REMS/Whatever to shame.

Assuming I primarily need 2 things.

1) Sound colouring (Dist/OD etc) and/or Amp Simulation
    2) Modulation

Also assume I decided on the following

1) Tech21 SansAmp GT2 for OD+Amp Sim
    2) TC Electronics G-Major for Modulation

So my setup would be guitar>GT2->G-Major->Amp

Do I need a power amp??
    Is a guitar/bass amp still required or justa cabinet would do?
    Will a keyboard amp/pa sound better in this setup??

2. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

You are going thru GT2>> G-Major>>Amp you wont require another AMp a cabinet would be enough..

If possible get a High end COMBO amp like a Peavey JSX combo or 5150 Combo..

NO a KEYBOARD amp will make your sound artificial..

Both the rack units you have choosen are amazing.. Just keep room for other stuff..

Check out stuff from RockTron got gain control, etc

3. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Yaar if you just told him he doesnt need another power amp and just cabs why are you recommending combos to him? Wouldnt it make better sense to just buy a 2*12 or 4*12?

4. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

hahahaha
    yeah thats what I felt when I read hindi rox's post. As abhijitnath said get a 2*12 or 4*12

5. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Ok.. So buy that.. thats what i meant..

6. abhijitnath

How?????????????????

7. chintan9

what you talkin about!!! THats not what you meant

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

hey nitin dude, can u tell me how much your rack-setup cost till now?

9. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

I meant buy a Powerfull combo instead of going for a Amp and Cab.. Wont that be heavy to carry?

If he wants just a cab, its almost same..

I'm assuming that you are bying an amp.. So isuggested the combo instead of the Amp head + Cabinet..

10. nitinzep

nitinzep New Member

Thanks a ton ppl...

Ya even I thought I would just need a cab but wherever I went I read ppl saying you need full range speakers or an amp which doesnt color the sound (Keybrd amp).

OK the price.. (music123)

GT2 = $170
    (https://www.music123.com/Tech-21-SansAmp-GT2-i98745.music)
    G-Major = $400
    (https://www.music123.com/TC-Electronic-G-Major-i74155.music)

Total = $570-$600

GT8 = $450-$500
    GNX4 = $500 - $550
    GNX3K = $400 - $450

If you comapre the difference in price and sound its a complete no-brainer. But yeah I would lose the plug and play ease of processors. NO PAIN NO GAIN (Pun intended..hehe)

Any idea where can I get a peavey 2*12 combo in mumbai???

11. nitinzep

nitinzep New Member

HOLY SMOKES...If you listen to the sound samples at the tech21 site and then check out the guitars they have used to record these...yamaha pacifica 112...GT2 makes it sounds so freakin good!!! I am just imagining my strat thru it...ahhhhh!!

12. abhijitnath

Where is the amp head he is using? He's plugging into the Sansamp and the G Major and straight into the cab. Secondly he's trying to get a multitude of amp tones through the Sansamp and not the limited tones he would get from a single amp, no matter how good.
    Dude, sometimes its ok to admit that you said something incorrect.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Do you actually believe in the sound clips given there?
    b.t.w.: edit: deleted

Since the GT-2 and the rack are not doing any kind of amplification, isnt amplifier necessary?
    In that case hindiRox first suggestion to use combos wouild hold good.

14. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Dude ... ronnie is absconding i guess .........

15. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ abhijith : Yet again.. When i said it, i had a completely different opinion in mind.. Now i understood.. But in anycase without an Amp, the sound is not complete.. I know how a sansamp can modulte amps.. But something is required to give you gain in the output.. Just using a cab wont.. help.. Read alpha1's post..

16. chintan9

second that^^^^

17. nitinzep

nitinzep New Member

I think thats why tech21's site and other reviews say that this sort of a setup should be used with a PA-system or a keyboard amp which do nothing more that amplify and drive full range speakers....this is where my scarce knowledge about electronics start to throw up...

18. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ nitin: GO FOR COMBO!!! You can Rack it up too.. Will give you a complete Rack..

@ Chintan : Sometimes its just saad that people say things just for the sake of saying.

19. chintan9

:shock:
    Why the hell are you talking to yourself!!! WEIRDO!

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Correct

Now I have full believe that the amp system to be used should be PA or keyboard one (one that has full range + no coloration)

The Sansamp GT-2 is supposed to be actually a line-in line-out device. Infact its USP is "Sans-amp" = "without-amp"

Infact if u use a guitar amp, u run the risk of "overcoloring" the sound. Just like what happens when u run a distortion pedal on top of overdiven amp. However, since I have never tried I cannot say WHETHER the clean channel on guitar amp WILL COLOR the tone or will it be similar to keyboard amp.

However, guitar amp gives u the flexibility.