Quick tube amp questions

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ultrabot90, Dec 3, 2010.

1. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Planning to buy a tube amp, and now I have some money too (saved up 17k, can go over that by waiting a bit more). Considering a BE3 Brat+ in a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout-style 1x12 cab, or a Laney Cub 8/10/12.

Thanks. :beer:

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You can disconnect the tubes while travelling and put them back in when you're setting up to play.

5W not going to cut it clean in open air. Ambient sound is going to drown everything. Acoustic dynamics of open air are also very different. Although for busquing it might be enough.

3. ultrabot90

Thanks, hundredth.

Now then...

@all
    I have 17k, should I go for a Laney Cub 8/10/12, or a BE3 Brat+?

I want to buy some accessories along - spare tubes, a power strip with a long cord and a fuse, and most importantly a case, - and I don't have any other cash. And if I buy a BE3 I'll have to wait 3 months + pay for at least one return trip to Mumbai as well. Yet I want a decent 12" speaker and a head and cab setup - something that won't lose it's value for me later.

Maybe I should save up more and get the BE3? Or maybe I should buy a Cub+the other stuff right off instead of relying on this conked out, borrowed, MG15?

Confused.

Thoughts -
    I know I said I want a 12", but I doubt if I could tell the difference (except I fear the 7th string could pop out a speaker with low x-max), and I could get a cheaper 110 cab from BE3 to reduce costs and buy a 112 cab later.
    Laney Cub 10 is a strong contender - good price, better wattage too, but 10" speaker + I don't like the idea of an extension cabinet (atleast, not for a 110 combo going into a 112 cab - I've to carry around two speakers when I'll be using only one!)...unless I could get it modded and cut up to have a 12" later on.

4. thehundredthone

Save up. Get what you really want rather than a compromise. I dunno how much more portable a head+cab is (lack of experience) but with the head you have to be careful that a load is always connected or you'll blow the output transformer.

5. flood

flood New Member

um, not portable. most pros i know want just a head, so that they can connect to the cab at the venue - which is not the case here, it seems. even a combo can be an absolute PITA. friend of mine bought a dual terror head (could be a tiny terror, but i doubt it cause he needs a bit more power) so that he didn't have to lug his traynor 1x12 50W around with him.

6. ultrabot90

Hm...so be it. Thanks, that's what I'll do. >:D

flood - A combo a PITA, even in this way? o.o
    I was thinking so far that this plus a trolley case would rectify the portability problem to a major extent.

7. thehundredthone

Exactly what I thought. There's no way a cab (separate or combo'd) is considered portable, not by our standards anyway.