Questions about the Sansamp Tri A.C.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by raj.hendrix, Apr 26, 2007.

1. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

I was thinking of buying one.
    Is it ok to use it with overdrive and fuzz pedals? Or are the inbuilt amp functions good enough(then i can sell my OD..a boss bd-2 and not buy a fuzz)
    Since i can't really afford a tube amp, i was wondering whether it will be able to simulate an amp. Will it be better or similar if i go direct into the P.A. with the tri ac last in the chain(gain at 0, getting all Drive requirements from my pedals) than going direct with just the pedals.
    And does it respond to picking dynamics?

2. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Alpha1 is your man for the Tri AC!

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

He posted some clips somewhere i think...try search for it

4. Double Click

Double Click New Member

I wanted one of those b4 I settled for the AMTs..

It can be used with other ODs/fuzz.
    The inbuilt amp models are great. The Plexi modeling is spot on. It responds a lot like a tube amp.

The TriAC is a DI box. It contains a preamp and cab sim, so it is meant to be plugged in direct. It willl sound lousy through an amp.

I would suggest using the tri AC for ur dist stage too cause the inbuilt models are awesome(esp the plexi). Use the other pedal as a boost if u must.

It responds pretty darn well to ur picking too :)

For plexi/fender sims, also chk out the Toadworks Deathrattle.

Plus, try the Barber Direct Drive. I got to play one, and it is by far the best marshall in a box that I have come across. Period.

5. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

okay thanks, i assume that if it responds to picking dynamics it'll respond to guitar volume control also...?

what about ambience and modulation effects. you put them after the sansamp and then take the last output(of the delay in my case) direct to PA system?

6. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Yup.. It reacts very much like a tube amp.

Put the Delay after the sansamp and then go to the PA.

I hihgly recommend u take a look at the Barber Driect Drive though... Its the best one for ur kind of music.

7. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^^where is it available??

i just saw it on their website, sounds good but its an overdrive pedal man. i'm already more than happy with the bd-2, ***y fat overdrive(and rolls up nicely with the guitar volume knob).

Anyway i'm looking for something which will sound good direct to PA for gigging purposes where i don't want to be dependent on stage amps(which are generally not even decent) which may have earthing problems(im already getting a dunlop dc brick so that eliminates power problems :) )

and i really like the fuzz sound so i was wondering if any of the sansamp models can simulate one.

bleh, maybe its asking for too much hehe

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1. Assume that Tri-AC is your tube amp. Any overdrive or fuzz pedal before it would only add to the tone arsenal.

2. On its own it is pretty good. But remember it is meant only for classic voicing. It has pretty less higher mids. That makes it slightly "thin" sounding. But FAT. Thin but fat. Its got good lower mids. and the normal mids.

Imagine the Ritchie Blackmore tone.

3. The pedal somes with 3 tones. Fender Tweed. Marshall Plexi. Mesa Mark I.
    None of them has hi gain. They sound horrible thru a guitar amp.
    You simply gotta connect this equipment to a flat voiced amp.

4. It is pretty good responding to picking. But then, Tweed responds more than Plexi. Mesa responds very less.

5. All tones from this unit is slightly on the brighter side. Has got pretty huge presence. I guess this is good for live settings, since it cuts thru pretty well and your can hear each n every note clearly. However, in small setting like a small practive room, it might appear to be overtly trebly.

6. My suggestion would be to push off BD-2 and get some OD with mid-hump. Why? Because BD-2 aint gonna add anything much more to the existing tone. But a midhump like T00bscreamer or SD-1 would actually allow you to get a thicker tone (and make it more usable for more modern tones).

Fuzz should sound lovely on Tweed and low-gain Plexi. NB: I haven't tried this.

If you are in Pune, you can check it out. Its still with me, athough all my equipment has been just catching dust all these months.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

PS: for some stupid introductory tones you cna listen to
    www.soundclick.com/bloos

British
    California
    Riffy1

Those are all.
    BTW, the British and California would show how it would sound thru a guitar amp as well as comparing it to a line-in + speaker system.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

btw the sample tones on the tech21 website are pretty much achievable.

11. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

hey thanks a lot for all the info man.

any chance you want to part with your tri ac :)

12. yazi

yazi Banned

Heres a copy of qoute for Barber Direct Drive:

13. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

OFF TOPIC - You have paypal money?? How do i get money into my paypal account? I used to sell game money online for paypal cash but then spent it all...i require to put some cash in my paypal account...any idea how i can do it? - OFF TOPIC

14. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

hey thats killer news about the direct drive.
    anyway i have an overdrive and its pretty good so i'm not looking for one right now. looking for an amp modeller so i can go direct.

hey alpha1 u didnt answer my question man :)

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

lol
    dude, someday when I get old.

and have plenty of time of my own. I would wanna be around the Tri-ac so that I can get those Blackmorish and Whitesnakish tones out of it :p:

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

If u are happy with the existing tone, Y dont u consider getting a DI box or some sorta cab sim..

yazi likes this.
  17. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

where are those available? any reccos?
    right now i have an overdrive only, i'm looking for a thicker distortion too for the sustain et al. thats why i was previously considering buying the dunlop classic fuzz. and since i have been hearing a lot about the sansamp i thought it'll supplement to my distortion stage and going direct would be an added bonus.

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you want thick distortion then get AMT Metallizer.

The tone is precily described by the word : TRUCKY.

19. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

hmm...i play funk rock with an icing of blues and cover hendrix mostly among others...so...i don't know if the metallizer is my pedal. not exactly the chugging-rythm fan..when i said thick distortion i meant fuzz sound...***y vintage fuzz :)

i was just checking out DI boxes like the Behringer GI100 and Ultra DI100...good reviews but the GI100 seems better because of the cab sim. anyone knows anything about them? and also where i can get them? ishibashi has the DI100 but id rather use the GI100 for the cab sim.

20. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

i bought a Digital Reverb Behringer from ishibashi...ive used it only like 3 times...its a great pedal....but useless without cables :(