question for all jazz guitar experts

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by deadman2115, Mar 31, 2005.

1. deadman2115

deadman2115 New Member

hi there jazz guitaristwell i have heard that in jazz guitar if we have option c scale guitar or 7th scale guitar (for eg g7 ,f7,c7 etc)then in jazz we prefer the 7 th chord .it this true &if it is then wats the reason behind this thing
    i fell it this thing as a mistery so plz help me solve this
    plz
    thanks
    urs
    manoj :beer: :rockon:

2. deadman2115

deadman2115 New Member

17 views and no reply ????

3. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

its 18 now.. :grin: and 1 reply :grin:

abt ur topic...
    i'm sry :( .. u got 2 wait for da pro's..
    hope u get ur soln.. :rockon:

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

thats b cos you ve posted the thread in a wrong forum , this thread is for beginers q & a forum - check the replies over there ...

cheers and rock on :rockon:

5. deadman2115

deadman2115 New Member

now atlest reply to my ouestion
    this form is been moved to this correct place
    plz now atlest reply
    urs
    manoj

6. shak

shak Harrr!

well .. sorry ... dont have ANY idea what u are talking about ...but if your are talking about 7th chords .. then yeah ... the 7th and 3rd chords are frequently used in blues and jazz .. just because of thier harmonic properties... they go well with the jazz feel and blues..
    pardon me if i misunderstood the question

7. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

a major and minor chord are more stronger in its feel while the 7/9/11/13ths are much more diluted in its sound. i'd imagine that the reason for the replacement of major and minor chords is to do with how this is reflected in the relative jazz scale used.

i'm not really a jazz player/theorist so i can only speculate as i have.

8. deadman2115

deadman2115 New Member

hi there

tanks u might b right but i want a fully discribed reason behind this y is the application of the 7 chord it prefered in jazz guitar in the place where the major or the minor chord can be use
    plz explane it to me friends
    urs
    manoj :rockon:

9. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

its not in all of JAZZ as such
    FUNK JAZZ uses chord playing along with the groove like an almost independant melody line. Here is where to remove the monotony of a chord, the sevenths are used to add melodic changes to the groove.

10. Liquid

Liquid New Member

what do u mean by 3rd chord?....is this a type of chord like the 7th or do u mean the 3rd chord in a scale?

ive heard of stuff like G7 C7 etc...but what do u mean by third?

11. deadman2115

deadman2115 New Member

hi friends ,
    thanks for ur replies but i still did not get the concept of the 7th chord plz explain it to me

12. hs07

hs07 New Member

Not sure I understand the question, but a 7th chord (also called dominant 7th) is 1 3 5 b7.

The flatted 7th note of the scale creates tension that usually resolves by going to the major chord (1 3 5).

As to why its used in blues/jazz - it just sounds different and interesting. Just listen to the sound of this chord and compare it to the major chord, it will be different. Different tonality....

Not sure if this helps at all, but I didn't quite understand the question.

13. rabi_sultan

also when you flatten the seventh it makes it gives it a stronger return to the root chord.

try it, play Bb and then play C and you'll notice the strength in the tone when it returns. Not as strong as the dominant (V) or sub-dominant (IV) but still just as strong. I suppose it could be called the seventh or the flattened leading note (bVII).

I know they use it in blues and i can't remember the EXACT reason why but its something to do with the scale and tone.

14. deadman2115

deadman2115 New Member

hi

thanks for all ur replies but i havent gt the thing actually one of my friend challenged me (who is a great guitarist )to find out the answer on the basis of my expreances but i did not had that exp but i wanna win so i tried this
    site
    so plz send me the perfect ancer which is acceptable to reason plz help me guys ur r my last hope
    once again thanks for the reply but now i want the exart theory plz
    :eek::

15. rabi_sultan

after reading the question again my personal answer would be that no it is not true that all jazz guitarists would replace every chord with a 7th chord. however it is true that they heavily prefer using that chord in certain places of the structure of the song.

for starters look at the 12 bar blues. that will give you a lot of your answers.

16. zubin_deep

zubin_deep New Member

the ques was not totally clear to me. though maybe I can help.

suppose you are playing a piece where Gmajor is written in the chord chart. Being a jazzman you do not consider anything less than 4 notes as a chord! :)P). Now what extension will you add to G B D triad?
    In the most simple (non-jazz) terms, it depends on the scale you are are using.
    suppose you are on C major scale, then the choice will be F (F is in C maj scal)
    G B D F = 1 3 5 b7 = G7
    if you are on G major scale then you may choose F#
    G B D F# = 1 3 5 7 = GM7

so the choice of the 7th depends on your melody, INfact that is why it is one of the "guide tones".

google on harmonized major scale to get a clear pic.

hope it helped.

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

zubin is right. jazz musicians usually enrich the chord harmonically and so use more 7s 9s 13s. Look at it this way. 3 notes together sound nice dont they? The 1 3 5 harmony is nice so what if you add one or two or three more notes to it? Wont it give the sound a whole new dimension?

Also, as I was saying in another thread....once you start using major 7s etc you notice that most chords can be substituted with other chords or superimposed upon each other. Say the band is playing a C major chord. You can just play a G major triad and you'll get the notes C E G B D which make up the C major 9th chord. This is one of the simpler concepts though.
    Hope that helps a bit.