Query:whats alt picking?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by vini, Apr 15, 2005.

1. vini

vini Repeat Offender

Hi Guys!!
    plz guide me whats alt picking all about?...whats the concept..usage..tricks..etcetra etcetra

thanx in adv

tahda!!

2. axeman

axeman New Member

Try This

Alternate Picking is nothing but using a combination of up strokes & down strokes when picking notes.

Instead of picking the notes only using downstrokes, upstrokes are used after every downstroke.

Try playing a scale picking the first note using an up stroke & then using a downstroke to pick the next note, then again an upstroke for the next followed by a down stroke again etc.

Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Down etc.
    C D E F G A B C

i hope u get the idea.

rabi_sultan likes this.
  3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

actually u shluld try and start with a down stroke - ehcne the excersie should be:

Down-Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Down-Up
    C D E F G A B C

later ull find some lines which start with upstroeks ut most start with a downstroke

4. vini

vini Repeat Offender

err..yeah..i got that...but whats the basic idea behind it..to play faster or sumthing...the concept

tahda!!

5. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Actually, alternate picking increases your speed in playing solos. Playing these with downpicking would take lot of effort.

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

alternate picking will increase your speed phenomenonally..........mine did....
    u have to have to learn it...i learnt it thanx to poopsie...
    there is no way around it if u have even the slightest inclination to play fast solos....
    its a pain in the ass to learn.....but it makes playin faster solos effortless

7. awaz_bass

awaz_bass Don't mistake for F*RT

w*at'* *p w*t* a** t*** ***** *n t** m***ag**.

8. awaz_bass

awaz_bass Don't mistake for F*RT

Testing my message

9. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

the concpt is rather simple - iimagine i play a downstroke - now since the plectrum is already 'below' the string, it makes more sense to pick upwards rather than bringing the pcik all the way ack up and picking downwards again...

thats the basic concept

then its use extends to keeping track of beats - in some strange kind of beats and all - an alternate picknig method helps keep the guitarist on track - he knows where he is by which stroke hes palying... as in hell know trhat at the end of some run he should be in downstroke or upstroke so he knows hes on beat and played correctly...