Quality of music declining with time

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Nanda, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hello people,

Dont you think the quality of musicians is going down as time passes. We have hardly had and vais or satrianis or randy rhodes or yingwes in the recent past.
    There are hardly any good drummers of the class of Bonham or keith moon or even lars ulrich comming up these days.

Even in the indian classical scene the last great name that came up was the flute player Shashank, no one like zakir or ravishankar in the recent past.

The music that is coming up these days might be catchy but they are not classy. When u listen to linkin park and system of a down, u might like it, but some where it seems as if the class is missing.

The indian movie scene had great composers like rd burman and Ilayraja and others, but these days u have jokers who have some beats made out of fruity loops and some vocals to top it.

Dont you think the music is going down with time.

Do u think the classy music is still there or its dead.

2. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah... the music industry is goin down... but like, there are still a lot of newbies or realtively new people out there wid class...

eg. Rabbi, Ajoy Chakraborty

Even in "rock" music, its like, nowadays, the grunge and alternative movement are catching up again... wait for a while, metal may come back to it's original form...

P.S. Lars is a freakin' @$$hole right now...

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

hmmm I don't think Lars should be mentioned besides Bonham or Moon. I always thought he was one of the worst drummers in metal.

Anyway I don't agree on the drummer comment. There are truly great drummers out there like Dave Lombardo (Slayer, ex-Apocalyptica), Richard Christy (Death, Control Denied), Gene Hoglan (ex-Death), Nick Barker (ex-Dimmu Borgir, ex-Cradle Of Filth), Hellhammer (Mayhem), Raymond Herrera (Fear Factory), Proscriptor (Absu), Pete Hammoura (Nile) etc.

And that guitarist comment is absolutely wrong. Recent years have seen so many great guitarists come up. Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom) is one of the absolute best new guitarists. Another rather underrated guitarist is Jani Liimattainen (Sonata Arctica). And who can ever forget the undeniable talent of Chuck Schuldiner and in particular the new musicians he found for his project Death (Shannon Hamm for instance). I have always stated that Nile are the future of death metal and the skill of Karl Sanders and Dallas Toler-Wade is undeniable.

and btw Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are not representative of good music (catchy or not).

4. tejas

tejas ..........

Lars has always sucked. Not something that happened over the years (Listening to "Something I'm not" as a type this :p:). But not all music is going down the drain. As Sid already mentioned, there are certainly some great musicians today. And LP and LB??? They don't even deserve to be mentioned. Good Music is still very much alive, but maybe we're just not looking in the right place?

5. shak

shak Harrr!

hold on! .. what about real music? .. why dont we get beethoven, bach, brahms, chopin, elgar and mozart anymore? just listen to them once .... i mean the classical composers made the most captivating music ever... you can actually "feel" the beauty in their compositions ... they can make you cry .. make you cheer up ....their music had the power ... i think the soul of the music left us at the start of the 20th century ...
    but i wont be very pesimistic there are some good musicians around.... but unfortunately they are ignored and the big commercial monsters like "nirvana" "linkin parks" "metallica" ....etc (you get the riff) are concealing them from the wider audience ... things need to be changed ...

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

contrary to what many people think, i think lars is cool.....

i feel the original poster is overlooking the music scene by just mentioning the comercially succesful.
    there are so many underground bands and musicians..who post their stuff on the net for free...there are lots of dedicated guys in that respect.

for a piece of music to be called "classy"...it has to stand the test of time..and maybe after 5 years..ur opinion on some musicians will change.
    old is always great..
    but music is all about evolution.....
    u talk abt the vais and joe sats..imo they may be one of the best guitarists..but not THE best...ur missin out on some great stuff.

7. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

ya i agree that lars has become bad these days, i dont agree that he was bad before also. His drumming in four hourseman and one is cool. I good think music is not just about speed. The SLAYER drummer can drum fast, with his double bass. But the creativity also counts. I am not stating that his creativity in bad, but wht i am trying to impy is that even drummers who can drum fast can come out with classy stuffs.

Regarding LP and LB or SOD, even i hate them but man u gotta check out the craze for them in Bangalore pubs, all the punk kids jumping around with that music(guess they have made it big atleast with sales, like the damn pop stars)

8. tejas

tejas ..........

Well, Its not about speed. Dave (Slayer Drummer) is good otherwise too. If you want creative drummers, you have to check out Danny Carrey(Tool). He is extremely creative. And LP and LB in my opinion are nothing but boy bands with guitars. They are designed to sell records. Lets not get into that now.

About Beethoven, bach, etc.., well, it appears almost that people have lost the ear for such music. The people who listen to them are very less and the people who perform that music are even more of a rarity. I can't help but feel that there isn't much future for that area of music. Sadly so too.

9. shak

shak Harrr!

i'll agree with tejas ..lp, lb (i hate fred) and sod etc are designed to sell records... every other person who starts to get into the rock/metal genre seems to love them .. for the reason that i dont know ... and for them the quality of music is not declining ... infact with every new release of cemmercial music album ... they seem to get more optimistic about the present day music industry ... its only when you break the shell and listen to the music form the different eras that you realize that the music isnt being taken very seriously! .. these days music is made with only one thing in mind... would it sell? .. would it make me rich and famous? .... and not ... is it good enuff to be "called" music?
    i think this attitude is the reason for the decline of modern day music ... but then agian ... this deosnt apply to all of the present day musicians ...there are soem really good ones out there even today ..

10. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

earlier too a record was designed to sell...
    ultimately its a business...it always was.
    i cant comment on lp and lb.. earlier i used to get pissed off with anything electronica....but i have a few friends who make electronic music..andsome of the stuff they churn out is very cool..better than most dj crap u see on tv.

ultimately its everyones opinion.....
    my opinion of good music will always vary from someone elses..
    i like mariah careys voice...and ppl will flame me for that..

11. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

I like the new music.....it's so much fuller..

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

u r so wrong here if u think they u fruity loops. fruity loops is for kids. they use much better stuff.

13. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Nanda,

you are obviously not too informed of the indian classical scene. There are a lot of artists that actually sing/dance/ play an instrument very well. Take the case of the young akkarai subbulakshmi, or embar s kannan. i had the priveledge of seeing embar kannan in concert about a couple of weeks back. his speed on the violin is amazing. Aruna Sayeeram, Vedavalli, Seshagopalan, Sanjay subramaniam, all sing well.

Zakir hussein is good, there is no doubt, but only because there is no table player who has his kind of extensive knowledge. any good mridangam player can take on zakir hussein, where as the next best tabla player to zakir hussein will probably have problems with a mridangam player in a jugalbandi type of setting.

music is very much alive. Are your ears open though?

14. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

basically it Depend upon the choice of the listner
    if he likes the Modern musik.....the musik for him ll b better than ever
    but if he likes the classical ....then for him modern musik is Hollow

well i think that "PIONEERS " always remains on top.....like Elvis presley , Beatles , Led zepplin , Metallica , Micheal jackson ,James Brown , Ray Parlour ...etc.....
    cuz they are the first ones who make the genre of the musik...then proceders follow them....
    but the fact is if the Musik Is best....it lives forever....no matter of its era...(modern or Classic )

15. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

everyone's got so much to sh!t, cmon guys we've had all these discussions so many fu<king times...

Everything around us changes with the changing lifestyles..and that includes music.

u see all genres of music have somekind of relation with the lifestyles of the ppl and the times..Most popular is Rockn'roll. Take that as an example..
    It doesn't matter which genre is on the mainstream and making money n fame..wot matters is is it worth it? If it's not definitely its us of the other ppl who'll create awareness abt it and pull the sh!t of those stupid radio n tv programmes..

oh fu<k it got pretty long..

16. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

^^^wut do u actually trying to say?????

17. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs &amp; Pasta

The future of music lies in My chemical romance's latest single: Heriona...... The rest who are mentioned here (yes, including legends like LB,LP and all those dumb bands like death) are pretty much substandard.

18. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

nice thread.....

quality of has musik has surely decreased wid time.......i remeber when started listeneing to musik
    i started with modern rock...Linkin park, L bizkit,and some pop artists....but with the discovery musik
    went back into time 90`s and then into 60`s ,70`s era.......finally i realised
    that classic era is the best with evry aspect...that is the perfect musik

classic era rules

19. ak&guitar

ak&guitar THE INNER VOICE

it will come back! just wait. (cant u see it coming)

ITs a full circle pal............

old is gold....................but the best is yet to come.

the problem: good is not popular..............popural is not that gooid always.

our hope: RAbbi shergill, Norah jones , mekaal hassan , the media , and some revolutionary igtians :rock:

20. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Classic era?

do u mean the classical Baroque era ...

WOW that surely was great music ... i think all the modern music suxxx ... modern means anything made in 20th or 21st century :p: