Q. on guitar strumming

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by mk_sheby, Jan 1, 2008.

1. mk_sheby

mk_sheby New Member

Hi ,

I am re-opeing an old problem of most of the budding guitar players.. when it comes to strumming , which is better to use

a pick or finger tips.. is there any clear cut rules ..?

or is it just a matter of convenience ..? if so which is better practice ..?

I am guite OK to use picks for slow strumming , but when it comes to fast strumming it is sometimes hard to keep the pick without falling down or keeping it in correct position.

Any advice on this is must appreciated..

Thanks ,

Sheby

2. desidude01

desidude01 Drummerboy

first i've a question for you ....how did you get so many points with only 4 posts?? and then, "PRACTICE" is the only solution to your problem......use a pick first and then atart sing your hand when you're comfortable with the chord changes......this will prevent the absolute destruction of the sound from your guitar......if you still have any problem...just ask..!!

3. mk_sheby

mk_sheby New Member

Thanks Desidude for your advice, as you mentioned PRACTICE is the key , but i need to make sure that am practising the right techiques.

I am little confused about the holding picks. Can anyone suggest any web sites where the correct pick holding techniques are illustrated..?

The same holding technique for playing lead and chords doesnt work for me .

4. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

in the long run its not really important how u hold ur pick..........and practice practice....obviously fr that crisp sound u need a pic....fingers are fr classical playin///

5. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

Hmm..if you mean strumming (not picking) this may help :

I use my thumb for strumming.At first the skin peeled off n stuff but once it gets accustomed to strumming,it's quite useful.
    Pros : Rhythm.I feel it to be a lot easier to get the rhythm,maintain it and not worry about missing a beat when it's my thumb.And since it's a part of me,there's a lot more control over it.Also,rapid up-down strokes are possible with your thumb since you do not need to move your entire wrist.

Cons : For one,the sound.The chords sound a bit dampened.I personally like the effect(find it to be a bit soothing to the ears) but sometimes people prefer the crisp sound, which it lacks.And two,it is sometimes hard to feel the rhythm (I hope you get what I mean).And since the freedom of movement provided by the joint of the thumb is restricted you'll find it hard to hammer at the chords(you know when you just feel like hitting the chords hard) which implies that the loudest sound you can produce with it is restricted.

Solution : If you find using the thumb very handy (I do) use a thumb pick.It needs practice to get used to it but I'm sure you'll find it worth if you like using the thumb for strumming.
    Or,go for a pick.

6. desidude01

desidude01 Drummerboy

hmmmm.....ok....first, I have a couple of questions for you:

-Which guitar do you have? I mean what type....Acoustic, Classical or Electric?
    -How did you get so many points with only a few posts?

Have Fun...!!

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I think it's important to be able to do both. There is a noticable difference in the tone and honestly, fast strumming does not quite sound nice without a pick. I'm sure there are people who can manage without one of the options but perhaps as a beginner you should try and be comfortable with both.

8. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

As far as pick holding position is concerned...Every player I've seen, be it my friends or teachers, everyone has a different way. Check out this, oops, this article from Wikipedia.

In my opinion, pick offers more precision in rhythm. To further this, I use my pinky on the guitar body for support, though I dont know - some people say it doesnt have any effect.

I did what i'm_not_neo did once, when I was performing and due to the biting (December) cold, the pick divorced my hand...couldnt stop playing, I was rhythm! So roughed it out on my thumb, and then held the chord and took the pick out of the neck-side pickup.