Psychology

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Morbid_Angel, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Greeshma

Greeshma Greeshma'z in da House

apart from a couciler kind of person wat can you do with the study of pshycology...........my bro sed something to do wit a human resource manger.......but u ppl learning pshycology what kind of career are u looking at........

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

I once took a test by the name "What drug are you?". My result was that I'm "Life - The biggest high of all". xD I admire your self-treatment, bjr, it took me three years to cultivate that sort of thinking.

3. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

@disturbed : Errr...out of part curiosity and part worry,are multiple voices in the head normal?Multiple would mean more than 2.I explain "multiple" here because I've heard having one more (other than one's own) is pretty normal.

4. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

I think they are :p, let disturbed answer his part.

@Greeshma
    I thought you were going to stay away from this thread. Please do.

5. ultrabot90

@i'm_not_neo - 2 for the stereo, .1 for the bass? :RollLol: Ok...so I dont even have one voice. Not even the voice of concentration. -_-

6. i'm_not_neo

Haha...you know,the voices in my head disagree on almost everything.But not-so-surprisingly they all find you equally unamusing.

7. ultrabot90

^Well, that's pretty much common for the entirity of IGT.
    Edit - Its good, though. On the positive outlook, your mind is united within itself.

8. i'm_not_neo

Yes,well stupidity is universal.Hence the "not-so-surprisingly" part.
    And now I think I'll stop.Replying any further would lead to an all too unnecessary round of verbal assaults.And this is one good thread on IGT,so I'm waiting for disturbed's reply now.

9. Greeshma

Greeshma Greeshma'z in da House

so did i but i just wanted to an answer to wat kind of career u can achive by studying pshcology??......it's a fair enough question.....and there really wasn't the need for me to start a whole entire thread just to ask that question................Morbid, man all i did was ask a question....but oviously this thread about pshcology is going smoothly so far *rolls eyes*

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Well, I'm almost inclined to go into HR but I never did study psychology. Sometimes I'm not sure whether you need to. Perhaps because I am against stereotypes in general.

to neo's question: I think it's good to be able to hear more than 2 voices inside as long as they're not too loud...if you know what I mean.

11. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

wow. i never thought a thread like this would pop up.. but then, im not really surprised.. considering all the other stuff igt has been through *day dreams*

im a major in psychology.. and ive managed to study quite a few psych classes..from abnormal to cognitive to social.. etc.

it would be so freakin nice to have an intellectual convo here for once :banana:

got any takers? bring on the questions.. :)

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey pet00nya, is it true that even now, we humans cannot really disgnose and cure mental disorders accurately, and that there is still a lot to be unravelled.

I mean compared to lets say a heart disease, or say some infection anywhere, or hormonal imbalance caused problem.

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Personally, I find child psychology quite trying. I suppose more than the subject, its the people who are in charge of making rules that matter that are quite beyond my understanding.

I mean....anyone saying that I shouldn't be sharing a bed with my child or that I shouldn't take a pic of my kid in an insanely cute pose just because she's naked or that they don't need to take exams etc. are just doing the exact opposite of what they're preaching against and that is probably just as bad.

14. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

alpha1: it holds true to a point, because the study of psych is so abstract and so dependent on the opinions and results of each individual.. there is no concrete way of determining answers. i know this is off track but In time, shock treatments were abundant to treat almost any psychological disorder.. especially depression. However, they soon realized that shock treatments were better treatments for people with alzheimers'.

but back to your question.. yes its still quite difficult to pinpoint and diagnose a psychological problem..they cant determine what the root of the problem since each individual's mind is so difficult; thats why one of the most "effective" treatments is from off the "therapy couch" it makes everything easy.

bjr: i think what you are referring to is more in relevance to the ***uality part of a child. if you suppress a child's ***uality..or traumatize them with an unusual experience then yes, you've put their whole personality and their growing up on the line. and i think that would prove true for anyone..

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Isn't that also a part of psychology? Also, would the examples I quoted be considered part of the unusual experiences? Should they be?

As far as I know (from a fairly reliable source), my parents would be in trouble for some of our baby pictures if American laws applied.

16. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

ha. its not that bad here in the states, dont worry.
    but yes what you are talking about is also a branch of (child) psychology..

but i guess what im saying is that, they arent really making rules or regulating anything. your ways of bringing up your child or enjoying moments with them are fairly your own.. however, all they bring out is that over a period of time through studies its necessary to consider certain upbringings.

you wouldnt fondle your kid, in a ***ual manner when you let them share your bed, would you? you wouldnt fantasize over their cute-pose, naked pic would you?

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Which is why I'd believe in guidelines but never rules because it acknowledges that the exact same system cannot be followed in different circumstances.

What I also find interesting is how little say parents in the US have in their children's lives. All you have to do is call a number and they come and take you away? How does that work?

18. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Yes. And there are no rules, hun. Its just guidelines that people tend to give a little too much power.

As for the child abuse centers..yes, there are very big organizations all around america that prevent child victimization and abuse.
    There is no culture here and no humanity which makes it so ridiculously easy for parents to lash out/abuse at/ their children. Alcohol, drugs, etc.. leads to abuse. And its not fair.

And as with everything, existence of a facility like this invites trouble. I have heard of cases where children will verbally abuse their parents and or make lies up to "have a little fun".. its a dangerous game. But, its necessary.

Ever heard of the case of the four month old child that was microwaved to death by her own parents?

..well you'll be even more shocked to know, that thats not the only case.

And thats the difference between our society and america's. Our being the indian one. our traditions and cultures don't leave room for disobedience and or freedom. we follow our folks' way until we get married, become independent, etc. Our culture has left no room for children being able to speak up. gives us no right.. modern day has allowed us to drift from that life.. but still.. much of it still holds.
    when was the last time, you told your dad to **** off and slapped his face?
    my next door neighbor's nine-year old son did that just two days ago..

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Sometimes I'm really not sure which side its better to be on as a child. I look at our education system and the first image that comes to mind is from Pink Floyd's The Wall. What is worrying is that even at higher education level, we seem to be manufacturing engineers and managers.

Yet, on the other hand, we are getting a lot of jobs just because the first world doesn't seem to be very good at math anymore and we're fitting what is required....but that just helps me relate to the first hand that we're being manufactured to a large extent?

Agreed that our education system seems superior but I would personally prefer theirs.

Yes, I had heard of the microwave case and I do agree that child abuse centers are very nescessary yet I wouldn't have made it as easy as it seems to be for kids at this point. I know of a case where a kindergarten teacher got irritated at a kid who repeatedly threw his shoe in the bush for the teacher to fetch and pulled him down to his seat. She had to submit a written apology and that was the end of the story. It gets a little ridiculous to be honest. The end result is that a few of them grow up to be real brats.

20. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Suggest an alternative that preserves the posterity of the child protection system (a.k.a mollycoddling swotty babies) while still retaining the efficacy of the disciplinary system of school.