Pro's Suggestion for a Practice amp with a CLEAN Clean Channel

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by shubhamAT, Apr 9, 2012.

1. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Hi IGTians,

I had purchased a Line6 Spider IV 15 Amp on Jan 31st and found it to be good until i bought a Zoom G3. The problem which i have is that on the clean channel the effects don't sound the way they do on headphones/ or CD input of the amp. The Line6 is coloring the sound too much. I like the sound coming off the G3 way more than the crunch/metal/insane modes or when run on the L6's clean channel. As of now i use the CD input of the amp for the guitar but i loose out on the EQ and reverbs. Kindly suggest me an amp with a really pure clean channel. If it has another channel and some reverb it will be great. Budget: Although not on a shoestring budget i will prefer a VFM amp more than an exotic one. I mostly practice thrash metal but will be adding few Maiden songs to my routine some time later.

Thanks in Advance.
    Side Note: If we reach a conclusion here my L6 Spidy will be up for sale.

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

If you tell us how much is ur budget we will be able to help u properly!!!!

3. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

10 from my end + whatever the amp fetches on the pre-owned

4. mymusicmyguitar

WOW...U can try one of the Laney LX 35R, 65R, AR series solid state amps
    OR
    Laney CUB 10 - Tube amp. takes pedals and processors really well..

Also I personally love the Strangers Clean sound..and it goes on extremely well with the Pedals and processors..The ones that i checked was and i like is 80W..way too loud but i guess there is 50W version as well...but great cleans and might fit in ur budget as well..

5. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Way back in '98 i had played on Stranger amp but haven't found any favorable reviews on them since then. Laney CUB 10 looks interesting. I even had Brat from BE3 in my list. But don't tubes color the sound ? Also whats the class a/b thing on such amps?

6. mymusicmyguitar

Yeah BE3 brat is also a great amp and i have heard a lot of good reviews about it !!!

7. mymusicmyguitar

Class A and Class A/B are terms that describe how the power tubes work within the power section of a guitar amplifier.

Class A/B amps tend to have greater dynamics, sound punchier, tighter, cleaner, and have cooler running tubes.

Tubes in a Class A amp tend to run hotter.

As far as tube life is considered Class A/B prolongs the tube life. The Class A/B amp will run more efficiently with more power and you’ll enjoy not having to replace power tubes as often.

As far as tone is considered Class A and Class A/B is a debatable topic and personal preference...

By the way Brat series is Class A, Laney Cub 10 is Class A/B, Cub 8 is Class A.

Frequent tube changing pain/cost was the main reason i didnt go for BE3 Brat series and laney Cub 8.

I think BE3 guy ansar can make a Class A/B amp as well if u request...

8. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Thanks. Do you know any one on IGT who owns a Brat, and how often does one have to change Tubes ? I noticed that these amps have inputs marked hi and low. What does that mean ?

9. mymusicmyguitar

Well i think rickkkyrich owns a cabinet from BE3..Not sure...try contacting him..Ansars from BE3 sells quality stuff...So dont worry about the quality of the product..

Low - Gives u more Clean headroom
    Hi - Gives u a less Clean headroom..

That means u can achieve overdriven sound at lower volumes when u r on HI mode...and u need to crank in the volume to get overdriven tone when u r on Low mode.

10. mymusicmyguitar

Changing tubes depends upon ur usage..But normal usage of around 2 - 3 hours a day....And for Class A...people change in around 6 - 9 months
    Class A/B with same practice time - Around 12 - 15 months...Thats what i read on one of the site from a guy who was using a tube amp for quiet some time..

11. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Ok, thanks again. I have purchased few cables from Ansar. Will call him soon.

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Brat+ is not a good option IMO.. It won't be loud enough for cleans and if you try to increase its volume it will break up giving you a overdriven sound. You should stick to solid state amp when on a low budget coz you're gonna need higher wattage when it comes to tube amps which are gonna be expensive..
    By the way i know a person who's selling his BE3 Solution 30 in Bangalore...

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The processor USUALLY sounds much better when going direct to headphone/PA system or line-in/CD channel of amp.
    Stranger amps are dirt cheap and have a clean uncolored sound which will suit your processor.

Frankly, if you are using your processor, then there is no point having gain/drive distortion/ reverb etc on your amp.
    With that money you may upgrade your pickups and expect a more desirable sound.

The ppl (rather idiots, if you read the whole sentence) who have reviewed Stranger amps are the ones who have bought a Givson guitar and a Stranger amp - and expected it to sound like a GIBSON guitar with Marshall JCM 800 being overdriven by a Tubescreamer.

Stranger is like a keyboard amp. In fact I have seen a lot of keyboard players using Kustom / Stranger etc stuff - because it sounds so plain and uncolored.

14. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

@rickkkyrich: Thanks. Do you know how old is that Solution 30 amp and what's the price he is quoting ?
    @alpha1: Thanks. Any suggestions on which models from Stranger/Kustom/any_other_brand ? I don't have a clue how much these cost but i guess they should be cheaper than Peavy/Roland.

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Do one thing.. Search for Varun Murali (Guitarist for Swarathma) on facebook and send a message to him... He's the one selling..

16. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Done. Thanks.

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

As far I recall, they are based on wattage and no. of inputs possible.

They didn't have a "British model" or a "California model" etc ...

Price used to be dirt cheap - about 1.5K for a 20W amp. I don't know the present cost.

18. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Ok Thanks. I think the prices are about 2.5k-6k for 20W to 80W models. Checked on rajmusicals.in

19. wylder

wylder Member

If you are picking up a Stranger, I suggest you choose one with a larger speaker cone (at least 10") for a fuller sound. The 20W ones come with 8" cones and hence lacks bass.

20. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Thanks Wylder. I am waiting for a buyer for my Line6. Here are few models from Stranger which are mentioned as for Keyboard/Guitar.
    Audio Musical Instrument Manufacturer Stranger Kolkata India

All of these have separate inputs for Guitar and Keyboard. Does any one have experience with them ? I am also thinking if should rather get a floor type monitor (the one that's slanted) and hook my guitar directly to it ?