Pros and Cons of buying New or Used Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by lord_neo, May 13, 2005.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Besides the warranty, is there a benefit of buying New?

2. golisoda

golisoda Comfortably Numb

I think most people refrain from buying used guitars coz sometimes ur buying someone elses problems as well..... But if one has experience in guitars they can always check it out and buy. finally if one can live with some scuff marks used fretboard I am sure you can get a good deal on some of those.

3. shak

shak Harrr!

used guitars:
    cons(the things that can go wrong): worn frets, warped necks, squeeky tuners, scuff marks, scratches, dents, humbucker magents tend to lose their strength after a while so dont expect a punch from a 60's guitar, scratchy pots, etc
    pros: cheaper than new ones, the wood settles down after some time do there is less chance of warp etc., the playability of used guitars is better than the new ones.

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

i dont remeber who im couting here -maybe rabi or maybe some1 else -

"thers nothing better than playing a 40 year old guitar other than playing a 40 eyar old guitar that has been played every day for the apst 40 eyars"...

classic guitars are something esle only - ut for decently new guitars -as in 5-6 years old - except price - thers not much of an advantage in uying old guitars-

but on the other hand - sometimes guitars arent even that old that the warrnaty has expred... im selling a guitar with over 3 years left on its warranty.

5. somendra_guitar

somendra_guitar New Member

well i dont know much but
    the marks,scratches,dents,bruised parts & a possiblity of getting wrecked

this is the picture that comes in my mind as i hear of an old guitar

i wud never buy a used guitar unless it is on a real big discount.

6. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Man, buying used is great!

My strat is 18 years old ( i bought it last year ) and it rocks! And my second hand wah,volume pedal and shredmaster are really good too.

Just check out if its in good shape and that there are no major problems, such a warped necks etc...

7. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

if its a guitar or an amp...i will definitely not hesitate to buy a second hand guitar (if, of course, in a good condition), but when it comes to effects processors...maybe not!

8. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

why not?.......

9. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

My perspective: The older the guitar, the better it sounds (older does not mean broken or bent or mutilated)....especially the neck...a well played through neck...sounds awesome!

10. deathdr_87

exactly - i agreee with blackmamba on this...

but undestandably - an old warped neck is not nice!!!! - it should be in good condition...

and regarding scond hand processors - dont buy second hand - circuitry generally gets ruined easily of most... and most ppl dont sell processors and amps unless trheyre not working too well.... u normally dont sell them for cash coz their value on 2nd hand amrket is dam low and they get screwed really easy- actaully this logic applies more to amps than processors - dpont buy a second hand amp unless its the asolute alst choice (or its some crazy classic hand wired amp - in which case expect to pay 10 times wat the guy originally paid for it)......

11. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

@rustinpain, ^^^thats like what i was saying...

and no one would sell a vintage amp..or if someone does you wouldnt be able to afford it!

12. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Pros of buying Used:

1. Cheaper definitely - better value for money
    2. Well Played Neck - definitely a plus
    3. Vintage Aesthetics
    4. Environment friendly - each time you buy a 'new' guitar - you are contributing to the depletion of the rain forests somewhere....

I am all in favour of buying used!!

13. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Death - what guitar are you selling? I may be interested....

14. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

that wasn't me who said that deathdr you've quoted someone infinetly wiser there (i hope lol)

The other thing is all guitars built pre-1979 are better than the ones made now. The craftmanship because all were made by hand and as you go further back the quality of the parts were much better.

For example one key difference between a early 1950 (preCBS) Fender Strat and a current Fender Strat is that the inlays were made of pearl and not plastic as they are made now. (those white/black dots on the fretboard - i think they are called inlays.)

15. deathdr_87

lol - i knew that blackmamba would talk about the environment - he buys everything secondhand - non - its good - the wolrd needs more ppl like him (and not me who buys everythnig new!!)