Programming languages ..

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by abhay_saxena, Feb 23, 2005.

1. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

tell us what languages you know and some tips and tricks ..

i know C,C++ both are almost the same except the OOPs .. and Java , JSP ,
    and otehr scripting languages like php and javascript. .

2. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

Application/Software Development (GUI/Console)
    C, C++, VC++, Java, Visual Basic 6, Visual Basic .NET
    Web Development (Client & Server Sides)
    HTML, XML, JavaScript, JSP, Java Servlets
    Distributed Computing
    CORBA, EJB 2.0
    Database Management
    Oracle, MS-Access, PL/SQL, Visual FoxPro, ODBC, JDBC
    Software Modeling
    UML

And in short, i can say, i have a fair bit of control on JAVA Technologies!
    C/C++ still in the learning mode(Hehehe)

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

3. abhay_saxena

thats great zoom .. . seeing that list i remember a few more i know ..
    UML, SQl,PLSQL,JDBC, Oracle as a backend software , VC++ that i know ...

4. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

C, C++.....and assembly. ...thoroughly
    ...lil titbits of many other languages but they don't count as "knowing".

bout...tips and tricks ...i've got a whole folder dedicated to this stuff ...will take too long to post it.

5. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

messed arnd with C a lotttt.. made some games nd stuff in graphics....(wil post them sometime here) aprt frm tht C++, Java, JSP.

as erindi put it
    ...lil titbits of few other languages (VB.Net, 8086 prog, perl, shell prog in linux,..) but they don't count as "knowing".

6. tejas

tejas ..........

Damn...I dunno any of those. I know logo or whatever its called, does that count???

7. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

Java, Pascal, PHP, JavaScript, SQL, Visual Basic, HTML, XML, DHTML, J2ME, Lingo, SVG, mySQL, Access and Oracle (only enough to create a disaster :cool:!)

UML doesn't count imo if that counts then i can add Flow charts in :p:

8. Sanjay Mazumder

Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

Fortran, C, C++, VC++, VB and a little HTML.

Studing Oracle and Assembly.

9. gnr311982

gnr311982 New Member

basic
    pascal
    c
    c++
    assembly
    cobol
    java
    sql

courtesy-----univ of mumbai (4 yrs)

java
    jsp
    perl
    html
    xml
    sql

courtesy-----univ of southern california

10. daffodil

daffodil bright little flower

hey gnr311982, are u still in USC ? i have tons of friends there ....whats ur real name?

11. nadish

nadish Active Member

I'm Learning Java 1.3 from Operation Badr, But I'm not able to tell u ne Tips and Trics yet.

12. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

@rabi_sultan: Mate UML(Unified Modelling Language) Designers is a second top-most position available after the Software Architects!
    It cant be compared with Flow-charts at all! Flow-chart is for logical follow of the Algorithm while UML are actual representation of each component of the software on paper! You may feel its just like an Flow-chart with few set of different diagrams...but when you really sit to represent the whole system at your hand, then you can make out how important & powerful UML is!

And mind you, all major companies first put the entire software on paper and then begin its developments!
    So, if u really wanna shift over.. learn RATIONAL ROSE! Designers using this for UML are highly in demand and best paid too!

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

a person needs basic computer science skills like

algorithms
    design (OOAD etc)
    problem solving
    software engineering mthodologies

and knowlkedge of one programming language like c c++. thats about it.
    he then in my opinion can pick up any language in a week.

14. abhay_saxena

as jay said OOM is important in todays world ..
    @rabi .. . UML is'nt flowcharts mate ,it is the representation of a working model of the software on the paper. it is very important nowadays ad most software firms are asking for it . you need to know it to be a software engineer.

15. rabi_sultan

i can be a software engineer without using UML its the biggest pile of **** on the planet. I should know i've studied the stupid thing for 4 years at university. Furthermore if you consider UML as a development language you HAVE to consider Flowcharts too. Just saying it isn't shows your ignorance to computer history it wasn't too long ago when mainframes such as the IBM 360 had programs that were designed using a system flow chart which guess the **** what also made the "representation of a working model of the software on a piece of paper"

@jay you are correct you learn those things plus program logic and you should be able to pick up ANY language.

16. abhay_saxena

flowcharts all they do is just give a general direction that the program is supposed to flow and the control is supposed to flow. it states different conditions that the control may end up in. it does nothing with the object oriented methodologies and the variious classes and other things existing within the system. UML is the most impostant thing before development of a system and if you had studied it carefully you would'tn be saying it to be a pile of ****. Most major companies use it for the development of softwares and depending on the use of this software engg. toold (UML included ) various software companies are graded as level 1-5. level 5 being the best. If u don't employ UML techniques all you get is a measly 1.
    I am talking about the persent day and not about the time when programs for IBM 360 were designed. UML was'nt developed then
    Talk to any major software company owner and he'll tell you the importance of UML in todays softawre development world

17. rabi_sultan

its ok i should have realised it earlier when i said flowcharts and focus of control charts (which is already a part of UML). I meant to say that Use Cases are a load of crap and thats what i was thinking of ;)

Besides I still don't rate UML as the most important thing ever. You will find that its mostly taught to Information Science students of which the majority are not really technically up to scratch.

As for the argument of its all OOP nowadays you will find that your wrong. There is heavy use of modularisation and procedural programming that is still going on today.

18. abhay_saxena

yeah there is heavy use of procedural programming today but the upcoming technology is that of OOM . Java has brought that turning point .. . and UML is'nt only usecases. . they are only the first step before class diagrams object diagrams , data flow diagrams , activity diagrams and many more. ..

19. vivekthakur

vivekthakur New Member

langs i knw

hi

im quite comfortable in:

ASM (80x86 and extended MMX processeors)
    C/C++
    VB, vc++ 6.0
    VB.NET, C#, ASP.NET
    JAVA (mostly mobile gaming)
    XML webServices and related stuff
    PROLOG
    CLIPS

currenlty wrking as a sowftware consultant and im recently i earned my MCAD!

-Vivek

20. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

i know quiet a few and it took time to understand them but now they easy to use