Problems with Tansen electric

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by micraft, Feb 26, 2006.

1. micraft

micraft New Member

I had bought a tansen electric with 2 single pickups and a dual coil pick up.
    I bought it for like 5k, i bought a sammick ss10 amps yesterday for like 1900Rs.

I just realized one thing the output from the amps is very distorted and if i hold all the string together, the distortion is reduced, its like the distortion is from the strings vibrating itself.

Another thing i realized is that when i hold the volume knob towards the guitar, the distortion is very much gone. Maybe the guitar had a small fall before i had purchased it. What should i do, i'm planning on opening the guitar myself, because returning it to the shop is out of the question becasue its a 4 hour ride and i got college to go to.

Another thing i think my guitar is a little overweight, seriously, its like 5 - 6 kilos, i just tried out a givson blue diamond when i bought the amps, and that guitar didn't weight anything at all. Does any other tansen owner agree with me, and what about the price of the tansen, is it a good price.

Question?
    1) What to do about the distortion from the amps, give me advice on how to fix it myself, i believe it can be loose connection of the volume knob or something like that?
    2) How much would this guitar cost, its metallic blue, no model number, it has made in india sticker behind the fret board, i'm asking because i heard that tansen prices atart from 6-7k.
    3) Is my guitar serioulsy overweight?
    4) There are 5 sound pick options, what exactly are they for?
    5) What is a dual coil humbucker?
    6) There is a 4 inch metal rod hanging from the bride, doea that have any specific purpose?

Hope to see some replies.

2. micraft

micraft New Member

cmon guys help me out

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

dude first up....y the hell did u get an electric....????
    anywho...the answer to your questions
    1> the "distortion" u talk about..is it there in all the positions of ur switch or just some.....in any case....stay away from appliances which produce magnetic fields....TVs, Monitors, your amp...speakers.....Electrical wires..tubelights etc...
    and see if that reduces the "distortion"
    2> price et al can be decided only after seeing the instrument, the workmanship the wood used, the pick ups used.....ask more tansen users about this
    3>take a weighing scale and actually weigh the guitar....My LP eighs around 4.5 Kgs..electrics are heavy..period.
    4>the 5 posiitons...
    Extreme towards neck- neck pu
    1step towards the bridge- neck and middle pu
    1more step towards bridge- middle pu
    1 more step towards bridge-middle and bridge pu
    extreme towrds bridge-bridge pu
    5>a humbucke or a hum cancelling pick up is a dual coil pick up..the others are called single coils....
    6>the 4 inch rod is called a tremolo arm...( :shock: ) it can be used for dive bombs, vibrato and to produce an array of extremely wierd sounds from ur guitar...

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

tis all true. u mgiht want to get in tocuh with some serious players and make them have a look at your guitar and rig. go read up a bit on the electric guitar on wikipedia.

5. micraft

micraft New Member

The distortion is not there if i hold all the string at any position, or if press the volume knob or treble knob towards the guitar, just tapping the volume knob u can't see the distortin gone for that second.

"the 5 posiitons...
    Extreme towards neck- neck pu
    1step towards the bridge- neck and middle pu
    1more step towards bridge- middle pu
    1 more step towards bridge-middle and bridge pu
    extreme towrds bridge-bridge pu"

Whats a pu?

"he 4 inch rod is called a tremolo arm...( ) it can be used for dive bombs, vibrato and to produce an array of extremely wierd sounds from ur guitar..."

How do i use it?

Thanks a lot.

6. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

U Bought A Guitar From A Place Thats 4 Hours Away!!!!!!!??????

7. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

thz not distortion. tatz only feedback for heavens sake.

do one thing. check if ur plugging da amp into a 3 pin plug directly. if, not do it. thz y its givin feedback. for earthin probz , u kno.

8. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

Thta could also bee cause of a bad Amp.

9. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

pu = pickup - i personally prefer to call it a pup. but each to his own.

u push down towards the bridge with the arm to lower the pitch.

10. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Whoa..... Dude, DrSaurabh just asked the exactly apt question here .. Why in the love of God did you buy an electric guitar ?????

Ok, so you bought the guitar.. you couldn't ask the seller whats that 4 inch metal thing "hanging"??? its a tremolo! It seems to me you just didn't pay any attention to the guitar before buying it!!! You should be more careful dude!!

The "distortion" you say the strings produce is not distortion (the effect) but noise which comes either:
    1.from a plug in which has no earthing
    2.from using low quality cables (from the guitar into the amp)
    3.From faulty electricals in the guitar
    There is more probability of the 1st case, there might not be a proper electrical connection. Check if you are using extension cords or extra plug ins and check if all of them have the 3rd pin (for earthing). If the first and second scenarios are ok, then your guitar has internal problems!

The weight of the guitar would depend on the construction of the guitar- semi-hollow body, hollow body or solid body construction. Solid bodies are heavy, really heavy and that might be case with yours. Also, Indian guitars are heavier as the makers don't bother on cutting weight as they do about cutting costs.

And finally a piece of advice (take it or leave it).. don't show off that you attend college regularly .. and even if you do .. don't imply that yuou have college everyday of the week everyweek of the month!!! Sooner or later when you have a day off.. go to the shop and catch the fellow who sold you the guitar and fix the guitar up. Prevention is better than cure and if your guitar electricals are faulty (there is a chance), better change them right away!! Take care.

blackmamba likes this.
  11. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Show us a picture and then maybe we can label all the different parts....would be fun!

Serious, it seems you have no idea what an electric guitar is - but I won't hold that against you - when I was 7, I didn't know either!

Show us a pic and we could help. Looks like you have either white noise or as someone said feedback - it's not distortion. If you have an air spray can you could use it to get rid of moisture at the volume/tone pots...that could solve your problems - need to spray air at it under pressure.

12. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

You definintly have an earthing problem here. The Earthing problem could be with the guitar, or with the amp, and the way the azmp is plugged in. You said you had cheked out the amp with some GIVSON guitars in the a shop right, did the amp sound ok then? If so that rules out the amp ( at least temporaly). How does the amp connect to the wall using a THREE PIN PLUG ? does it plug directly into the wall or through a extension cord, using a THREE PIN PLUG ? If you are using an extension cord, try pluging the amp directly into the wall and then see if you are still getting the feedback.Also cheak your wall soket and make sure it too is grounded.
    Regarding the weight of the guitar, an Electric guitar can weigh any thing depending on what wood and parts are used.
    I dont mean to slam you buddy, but seriously I was SHOCKED when you asked what that METAL BAR is for. what you should have done was to ask the seller LOADs of Q abouth the guitar before bying it and clariffied it out here. Dont worry too much. The problem of feedback ( distortion as you put it ) can be fixxed. And please post pic of your guitar, so we can see what you have and help you out.

13. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

i have a problem too...

there are two humbucker pickups in my guitar (Washburn n2)
    one is bill lawerance and the other is regular washburn.
    when i turn on the regular pickup when my hand touches its side screw kind of things at very high volume a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound is made although when i play the guitar it vanishes but can i reduce this some how . pm me plz.

14. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

What does that mean ???? BAd sentence formation. And i think its most probably feedback, so play around with the amp settings.

15. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Dood I did not get what you are saying . I undersatnd you have a problem when you switch to the neck pickup, butWHAT SIDE SCREW ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

16. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

haha...forget guitar. i didnt know who i was when i was 7!! :) man...i would have shown some skills to dharmatma if i had started guitaring at 7! sigh!

google for anatomy of electric guitars one will get lot of answers~!

17. Harsh Kumar

see the pic ups are like .
    I . I
    I . I
    I . I
    I . I
    the '...' portion is what i mean

just a touch by the palm makes a small hiss (Almost negligible but not totally negligible)

18. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ok I get you BUT WHY IN THE WORLD DOES YOUR HAND REACH THERE ? it should not. You say you get this problem at hieg volumes right? Just try moving the pick up lower below the strings ( if you turn the screws of the pick up

<o> (O) <o>
    o o
    o o
    o o
    o o
    o o
    o o
    (O)
    <0> <0>

(O) This screw(O) and not this<o> you can adjust the overall pick up height, bring the pick up lower under the strings and then cheak for the same problem, if it contiues your pick up may not be grounded

19. Harsh Kumar

The real problem area

the area marked in the pic is the problem area
    with a slight touch it makes a hiss

Attached Files:

20. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Don't touch it!! Problem solved. Keeping your palm or fingers resting on any part of the guitar (except maybe for the pinky resting on the guitar below the high e string) is a bad habit. Get rid of it.