Problems with figuring guitar strumming patterns, help required!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by #iR@, Aug 7, 2005.

1. #iR@

#iR@ GANDI BACHI RELOADED

hello everyone..... now i am in trouble so plzzzzz can anyone help me out??? :mad: it has been almost 5 months and i am having A LOT of problems with figuring the strumming patterns! NOW PLZZZZ don;t say search as there are A LOT of threads on the same topic..... cause i have seen many and they r helpful but still..................... I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can someone plzzzz..... tell me from the start wat i need to know or wat i am doing wrong??? i will be greatful!!!!!!! :nw:

2. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

Strumming is the most abstract concept in all of guitar playing. There is no notation for it(that works), no theory, no principle.

The only real way to learn it is patient practice. Start with songs that are very easy to strum. If you have a video of someone playing the song or something, all the better. Just watch and try to capture the rythm rather than just imitate it as is. It's a total feel thing so it takes a lot of time to seep into the system.

My suggestion is don't strum it the way you hear it but the way you feel it.

P.S. I am just making a guess but I think Wonderwall is a major factor in your frustration. Trust me, there is no cure to your problem but just to listen to the songs till you get it.

3. #iR@

#iR@ GANDI BACHI RELOADED

^^^ thanks man....... trying................ trying...... still trying....... and will keep trying until i GET THE F***ing strumming! thanks again! :cool:

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ok step 1. put down ur guitar and listen to the song.. ignore the guitars, vocals etc... now concentrate n the beat.. just try and understand it - play it in ur head - then lsitne and aply alnog ull gradually get the strumming right... make sure ur hand action is smooth.

start with simple songs like knocking on heavens door, wonderwall, boulevard of broken dreams, etc...

5. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey dude ...

donot try to just match the strums made in the song ...
    listen to the song ... and come up with your own "strumming pattern" ... initially it may sound naive and unprofessional ... but it is a lot better than reading "UDDUUDD" kinda thing and trying to copy it ...

make your own patterns ... slowly u will realise that u will be able to play what u hear ... so onli things required are patience and perseverance ...