Problem With O.S. or Something Esle?

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by rust_in_pain, Dec 4, 2005.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

Hello everyone,

I am facing an idiotic problem with my O.S. (XP home edition).I just installed it today and it is not able to run any application as a P4 should.It is hanging for sometime even when i use media player.This kind of problem was with the earlier one too ,but even after formatting the partition and installing again???

I have tried changing the source but in vain.Is it something with the data in my other partitions?I cant afford to lose them.

Please help me if you know how to get rid of this.

Regards

2. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&amp;*$@*^$

Was it a fresh intsall or an upgrade from some other version of windows? I m asking cuz when i did an upgrade from win98 to WinXp I faced the similar prob ... but then I did a fresh install and everything was alright...but in this case u have to reinstall all ur existing softwares ..... :cool:

3. rust_in_pain

it was a fresh install and i also reinstalled all of my softwares..

Despite the slow running...there is a message like "YOUR COMP HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY A VIRUS>>>GO TO SUCH AND SUCH SITES AND DOWNLOAD SOME ANTI crap etc"

4. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

How much RAM u r using ?? (its shud be minimum 128 MB) and Win XP partition shud be 1.0 GB atleast

Ur comp is attcked by virus.. it seems by that message.. run Norton or mecafee or watever u hv and try to get the name of virus & its location..

Note: Formatting a partition doesn't mean that virus can be removed..

5. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

isnt thats how ms win xp usually works? :)

6. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

If doesn't work.. well..

there is a last option which will solve ur problems.. provided ur system has created last restore point.

run System restore. put the checkpoint as last retore point wen ur system was working.. u will reach back in time.. where ur system was working fine.. no need to install antivirus.. no need of partioning

7. rust_in_pain

i have 128mb RAM.....and partition for XP is 4gb...
    since i have installed it fresh...i havnt got any restore point...
    i think it is a problem with the data in other drives..or is it so tht virus does not gets removed even after formatting slowly(if its in the same drive)?

8. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

do 1 thing....if u cant afford to lose n e data.... then....copy the data on n e storage device tht is convenient 4 u....then delete ur partitions...n jus make it into one fresh hard disk without n e partition (completely format ur drive....) get a new disc of WInxP...n install it from tht....if still problem persists....change ur OS...use win 2000...or n e other 1 tht u want :)

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

ahh..u shuidne expect uch with 128 mb u know!
    but id say try installing the lastest Service spacks.

10. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

man i used to hav a 96 MB ram n i had XP on it....i think RAM is not da prob...itz his HDD i think ^^^^

11. rust_in_pain

will the service packs remove virus or something?

12. toughguy

toughguy New Member

Buddy Service pack removes the Vulenarabulities from the OS so that Virus can't effect the machine..

Thanks..

13. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

But the question is how u got infected.. r u connected to LAN.. or accessing internet ?? then u mite have visited some illegal sites ?? i faced a virus problem wen i visited some illegal crack sites..

14. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Dude get a good anti virus s/w....run it....if it wrks good...otherwise format ur entire hdd....completely....and reinstall XP complete with all service packs...

15. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

he says he cant run softwares ^^ n ur telling him to install anti virus ..!!

16. rust_in_pain

i think i will have to format the entire drive but the problem is to get a backup HDD for the data ...but again if i copy the same data it will be infected with the same virus..??

i do access internet but cant think of any illegal sites

17. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&amp;*$@*^$

Yeah! chances are they will be. One thing u can do is to connect ur harddisk to another computer which has a good antivirus installed and preferably with the latest updates and then run a scan on ur harddisk (though its better to scan both the disks). After u have cleaned ur harddisk of virus , u can take backups .....

18. rust_in_pain

Does anybody knows of a virus which does not allows any application (even not any windows application) to run and gives the following message:"THIS IS NOT A VALID WIN32 APPLICATION" ( 4 win98..)

19. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&amp;*$@*^$

:think: :think: never heard of a virus like that. but if any or all of ur exe files have been corrupted u will get that message when trying to execute that file. And yeah this may be done by a virus also ....