@ prash rocks

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by esgallindeion, Dec 6, 2003.

1. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

You want to progress gradually?
    Well, assuming that u have heard bands like Dire Straits, Led Zep, GnR, Pink Floyd etc... acoustic stuff are always good to begin with... and imo Blind Guardians are the kings of acoustic. And some of their best stuff are Lord of The Rings (personally, I owe a lot to this song... it introduced me to Blind Guardian and BG introduced me to metal), Bard's Song, A Past And Future Secret, The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight, Harvest Of Sorrow, Bright Eyes (there's an electric and an acoustic... be sure to hear the acoustic one first), The Wizard (its an Uriah Heep cover, both versions rock), Fiddler on The Green, blood tears, nightfall...

Metallica have a few decent songs too with which u can begin... Unforgiven, Unforgiven 2, One, Nothing Else Matters, Fade to Black...

Dream Theater are a great band, no matter what type of music u like... Another Day, Hollow Years, Overture 1928 (a great instrumental), a change of seasons, Take Away My Pain...

And of course, Black Sabbath and Ozzy stuff... Paranoid, Crazy Train, Heaven And Hell, No More Tears, Mama I'm Coming Home,

Then if ur ready for the next step...

The early Metallica is probably as good as it gets, alongwith Iron Maiden... so Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls, Battery, Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Ride The Lightening, Harvester of Sorrow, Enter Sandman are great choices... In fact the following Metallica albums are really great - master of puppets, ride the lightening, and justice for all... Aprt from these, there is the Black Album (aka Metallica)..

Iron Maiden... this is my fav band... They seem to have more no of Great Albums than most bands have songs...The Clairvoyant, The Number of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Trooper, Rime of The Ancient Mariner, Aces High, Run to The Hills, The Wicker Man, Brave New World, Blood Brothers, Dance of Death, Wrathchild, Phantom of The Opera, Paschendale, Wasted Years, Fear of The Dark, Revelations are some of their great songs...

Blind Guardian are another one of my fav bands... Apart from their acoustic stuff, they have some decent heavy/speed/power metal songs... Bright Eyes (the original electric one), Mirror Mirror, And The Story Ends, The Curse of Feanor, Imaginations From The Other Side, And Then There Was Silence, Under The Ice, Thorn, Nightfall, Valhalla, Time What Is Time are some of my fav BG stuff...

Among all these bands, most of my friends (who don't listen to heavy stuff) liked Nightwish the most... Come Cover Me is a soft song... She is My Sin, Phantom of The Opera, Beauty And The Beast, Crownless, Kinslayer etc... are some of their songs which everyone likes...

Then there are other bands like Manowar, Megadeth, Stratovarius (early albums), Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Pantera, Anathema, Amorphis etc...

In short if ur looking for albums, here's my advice...

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
    Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
    Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
    Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
    Iron Maiden - Brave New World
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
    Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Metallica - And Justice For All
    Metallica - Ride The Lightening
    Metallica - The Black Album

2. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

that's one looooong list!
    thanx a ton for chalking out my musical odyssey!

:beer:

3. Redalert

Redalert New Member

wow...thats a lot of stuff to remember....:p

4. prash_rocks

pre-script: anyone exc esgalli read it to your own peril and boredom!
    i'll keep posting my progress report here!!

to begin with, i heard bruce dickinson's tears of the dragon, and i liked it much. a few comments: bruce reminds me very much of jon bon jovi , especially in the chorus part where he sings high. unlike your friends i really liked both the guitars - the acoustic intro at the beginning and all the more the extended distorted lead in the middle - i think it's a really marvellous solo. who's the guitarist? i also liked the bassline especially towards the close of the solo...

then blind guardian's lotr - cool acoustic. i'm sure i'd heard it before without knowing the band. i like the mystical arrangement and the choruses. but apart from the music i can't connect with the words - i'm blissfully ignorant of any jrr tolkien...

next, nightfall again by bg - i like the music, the chorus and the softer and the more 'down-to-earth' voice, by jove not the screeching one just now! LOL. although it's the latter that does the best portions of the lyrics. i see bg use choruses to a great effect, that's one feature i found in both the songs. it sounds good...

which leads me to the clairvoyant... it's a misty mountain hop i did to metal and... ummm... i guess not bad! the song is great absolutely, meaningful but the way it's put in the song using the characteristic screeching voice is hard to get down... the guitar of course is great. i guess i must accustom myself for a lot more of screeching and i'll like metal!

merci beaucoup!

5. FinalPhase

FinalPhase New Member

this makes me realize...how lazy i am with the guitar...damn...this post actaully motivated me....gotta make my finger hurt again...:beer:

6. prash_rocks

Well FP, great that you're 'now' motivated to play. But I must let you know all this was not at all about playing, just exploring newer genres of music.:p You mean a 6 month old like me will play crazy rock and metal solos? And then you're still sure you're not nuts!:)

:beer:

7. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Well... u wanted some heavier stuff by Blind Guardian...

Mirror Mirror is one of the best songs of the band... has a lot of shouting and fast drums... in fact the drums, guitars and vocals are just too good... I love it..

The Curse of Feanor is another great song... one of their dreadfully underrated ones... Its currently my fav BG song...

Bright Eyes (original electric version) is undoubtedly one of the best heavy metal songs of all time...

Imaginations From The Other Side... Great song. There's simply no words to describe it. Nice spooky intro and great heavy riffs and superb vocals/drums/guitar throughout. The lyrics are also quite good...

Ashes to Ashes is a nice sobre song... it was written by Hansi (lead vocalist) when his father died.

Noldor (dead winter reigns) is another nice yet underrated songs of the band).

Script For My Requiem is another sobre song. Used to be my fav some time before... but not one of their best.

Valhalla... An early song of the band... guest apearance by Kai Hansen (former Helloween band member and currently in Gamma Ray). One of the best yet smallest chorus you'll ever find.

Into The Storm... Another one of my fav BG songs... Fast and genuine head banging material.

As usual, the choruses of all songs are really great.

Born in A Mourning Hall, Time Stands Still, Precious Jerusalem, Thorn, The Hobbit, Majesty, Lost in The Twilight Hall, Time What is Time are some other BG favs of mine.