PPlease help! Burnt my processors adapter.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by v0id, Mar 4, 2006.

1. v0id

v0id New Member

Ok, I know this is very lame but I just couldn't control my excitement. My sis brought me my new pedal processor from abroad and I was so excited that I didn't read the specifications on the adapter(stupid stupid me! :mad:) The adapter was built for american standards and I plugged it in. After a low hiss.. some fumes came out of it and it went kaput! Thankfully, I hadn't plugged the adapter into the processor. Okay, so I'm without an adapter now and I'm dying to try out my new pedal processor. I went to New Bharat Musical in Lajpat Nagar and asked whether I could get an adapter for the processor(which is a zoom one.) He said no and told me that he could get a custom made for which he'll charge me Rs. 650. That appeared quite exorbitant to me and so I refused. I checked with OnStage just a few steps away and the guy told me that zoom adapters weren't available.

I have two options:
    1) Wait. And hopefully someone from the US can bring me a replacement. This I wouldn't prefer as I don't want my processor to gather dust.
    2) Go ahead and get a custom one made. I would like to know whether this can be harmful in any way to the processor. Has anyone gotten this done before? And, lastly, any idea as to how much it would cost?

Thank you.

2. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

dude ..
    Bharat does sell adapters....but not one's by ZOOM...
    just tell him that....you want a 9 volt adapter....
    i'm sure On Stage sells them too...
    Or
    Just go to your local electrical store and ask for a 9 volt adapter. You wont get a quality one ..but it will work for now.

3. v0id

v0id New Member

I've checked in the manual now and the processor needs a 15V, 1.5A supply. Is such an adapter available? If yes, then wouldn't one from the local electrical shop work just fine? Would the difference in the quality damage the pedal processor?? Waiting for replies guys..

4. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

If your country has other than 110 Volts (220 Volts here, US is 110 volts), severe damage may result IF you use this item without a voltage converter. A simple plug adapter is not enough; you also need to convert the power to 110 Volts. Ask an electrical shop if they have something to convert the voltage from 110 to 220 volts. Something like a stabilizer or transformer.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Gah!
    If all you require is 15v rectifier, get it done by local electrician.
    And ofcourse he will make it for 220 v (indian voltage).

So everything will be perfect.

You just need tpo ensure that he keeps one fuse ... otherwise a voltage spike might be transmitted to your equipment and your equipment will also suffer dmaage.

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ok..i have been through this(except the blowing up the adapter part:p:)
    Go to the local electrician and get a decently made indian 220V-15v converter(should be around 200/-)
    DO NOT forget the proper current rating, and get a decent wattage headroom, ie something like 50W to keep ya safe.
    I have been using a local 9V adapter on my Digitech rp-80 processor without any probs.
    Alternately you could buy a 220V-110v converter, but for DC requirements, I would say go with the local adapter(dont worry too much about poor quality of local stuff,its not ALL that sensitive).
    Do run it through a spike buster with fuse to be on the safe side.

7. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

disadvantage of a LOCAL adapter :
    due to fluctuations , the adapter may transmit extra power which will cause the processor to blow up :p + Local adapters arent handy at all...one fall and it goes KAPUT !!
    but these are real extreme cases ..i had been using a local one for years and no harm done so far...

Even chances are that you may not blow up your processor while a fluctuation .
    I once unknowingly connected my Amt Metalizer to a 12Volt one , while it needed a 9V . Your pedal sounds noisy when you over power it . Chances are that the quality goes down too .

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Arre, you can get decent ones for 200/- yaar, thay are good enuff..better than the shopkeeper ripping you off for a 'custom' adaptor with the same old sh!te inside...as I said use a spike buster...and if thunder strikes when you are playing, thats just your bad luck:p:

9. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

ji sir...
    Dilli mein you get retail one's at 50 bucks ..haaha

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Beta 50/- ka maal loge aur sochoge ki phoren quality milegi???
    thoda dekh kar lo to theek-thaak maal mil jaayega..
    Blore aa, daam ulte -pulte hain:cry1:.actually mine was about 150/-..Dilli mein 100/- ka mil jaayega..

11. v0id

v0id New Member

Thanks for the guidance and the help guys. I'll be posting pics of my new processor soon in a couple of days :grin:

12. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

get one made

Contrary to what most people think, adaptors are just simple basic step down transformers, very simple. However, in your case, the 15 V is a problem. I am pretty sure you will not get a 15V adaptor in India. 1.5A is OK. So my suggestion is, go to an elctrical shop and give him your burnt adaptor, and ask him to repair it. Be sure to tell him you need it to be changed to 220 - 15V, he will need to wind that accordingly. And don't worry, nothing will happen to your processors, they have very good built in cut off protections (not that it would be needed).

By the way, I have a 505 and a 707, and both use 9V. What model is yours, I have never heard of one that uses 15V?

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Dude something is fishy..most pedals use 9V and 500mA..even that current is high..I have a tube based pedal and even that runs at 13V AC and 1A rating..which is pretty high..1.5 A seems too much..plz make sure you check before going for the adaptor..
    And yeah the adaptor is nothing but a step-down transformer and a diode bridge rectifier..but the quality of cheap Indian ones is pathetic..I've opened up both and seen the difference..But the decent Indian ones look to be acceptable...

14. v0id

v0id New Member

15. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

16. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Arre, you should have said so in the first post..khaali mein volatge current rating ka lecture dilvaya:p:
    Congrats:)...it seems to be a great processor..get a good adaptor made for it..