ppl i've a question here..

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by horsesmouth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

can ne1 answer these queries?

1. What is Palm muting, and how is it achieved?

2. What effect does it have on played music?

3. Does it have any affect on accoustic guitar? cuz i wish to play rock on title song n it requires the same

4. Dudes my guitar strings are getting damaged. I dunno why, but my 3rd string had produced something like knots where the string hits the frets. Now even the 4th string has produced similar symptoms!
    So I wanna ask if there's any remedy 2 tht, cuz my guitar is just 2 months old still. I guess I held my strings a bit too hard, but that doesnt seem 2 b the reason. If that's common for new users like me, then please tell.
    I've even taken gr8 care of my guitar n alwyz kept it in covers(except while playin' ....LOLL)
    So why this??

2. cool.abhi79

cool.abhi79 New Member

Hmmmm

There are lots of videos about palm muting on you tube. Its a technique used to mute the strings just after they are played using the side of u palm.

If u urself do that on your acoustic you will see that it does have effect on acoustic also.

3. acoustic12

acoustic12 New Member

yes.. palm muting is very effective... Its a technique where you mute the sound of strings a little bit to produce a sort of damp note. you can still make difference between the notes, but they are damped. A nice way to achieve palm muting is to rest the side of your palm lightly, right at the bridge.. sounds really killer if you are playing power chords, with distortion, you could blow sm brains away. But the real trick is to throw some muted and some non muted notes in combination, and u'd pull out sm really cool rhythms. Try it. things to remember while palm muting:

1. Make sure the side of your palm is right at the bridge. any where closer to the sound hole(or pick ups in case of an electric) would result in a waayyyy too damp note.

2. Make sure you are not pressing the strings with the side of your palm.. just touch it.. that allows enough vibrations to feel the note but not enuf to feel it clearly.

Tell me how it goes.

Cheers!

4. acoustic12

acoustic12 New Member

About the strings developing knots, thats a new one for me.. I've never experienced it, but if u could detail the problem, maybe we cn find an ansrwe in logic. Is the string twisting? or are there changes in the diameter of the strings. Or as you mentioned there are actually KNOTS in the strings!! which sounds really bizzare!

5. distorted

distorted satan

Muting the strings: it means the same as it means literally... mute the string just aftr playing a note on it... 2 methods fr muting the string:
    1.using ryt hand: dats palm muting, using the palm of the bridge to stop vibrating string. Palm is applied usally near to the bridge.
    2. The left hand: also called 'vamping'(i guess) just after playing the note or chord u take the left hand off the frets... just a little so that the note pressed upon is nt played but nt too much so as nt to let the string vibrate free.
    I find muting wid the left hand easy, until u hv nt got to mute an open string.

6. distorted

distorted satan

N those knots must be actually the string withering away, i suppose... (u wont see them on the 1st n 2nd strings)
    no prblm in yr technique... It must b the cheap stock strings... Dats all... Change the strings... I'll suggest get D'addarios...

7. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

about his third question..........yes it has a lot of effect even on an acoustic.............

about your fourth question..............you problem is very common and it yhas nthng to do with the make of the guitar......da third strings in acoustic usually gets damaged, so u can either buy a good set of strings like D'addario or Alice Gold...or continue playing with da old strings until and unless dey break da continuation of da notes...........in order to prevent the withering u should loosen the strings half step down every tym u stop playing......dat would even save da fretboard frm bending.........

8. horsesmouth

^th' fretboard bends??I din't kno tht.alrite i'll do it

@acoustic12
    knots in the sense of th' strings gettin' damaged, since 3,4th strings are coiled type and are most often played specially in the first 5 frets. thats th' place of most damage.

9. horsesmouth

@distorted
    yes u're right I guess. I got fooled by cheap strings. still it doesnt hav much effect on th' notes played (or i'm new 2 figure out). mebbe i'll change it after some time

10. horsesmouth

@everyone!

for palm muting i'd known tht v mute th' strings, but mebbe cuz my guitar is new, it has a lot of resonance (my friend said it. he had the same problem). it'll b fine as it ages.

but the problem is, I even put my palm right near the sound hole(not over the strings), but I could'nt find any noticeable change in th' sound (hence my question)

So the question is, is it cuz my guitar is new n it has lots of resonance? I've got a hobmer model

11. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

dude if u put da palm on da strings near da sound hole u will block any kinda sound..........in palm muting u have to put it on da bridge in such a way dat da notes are only half muted .........we do not want dead notes in our songs and if u do want dead notes i suggest use your left hand for it..............

12. horsesmouth

^but there's still lotta sound when I put my hand near the sound hole, with mild muting
    If I'm near th' bridge there seems 2 almost b no muting.

in no case I get dead notes unless I put my hand o'er th' strings

I know it sounds kinda weird, but thats y its a PROBLEM, isnt it?

13. acoustic12

acoustic12 New Member

^ dude... are you really touching the strings at the time the note is being played..? or do u tend to lift the palm while plucking the string..? its a bit tricky. Make sure your palm is in contact with the strings when u pluck them, and put it right at the bridge or u'll hear no notes at all. you try playing the base strings mostly 5th and 6th in order to really feel the difference if you cant seem to notice it on higher strings.

Another way you could feel the difference is, play the strings with no muting first. Then apply lot of pressure with your right hand(not so much as to break the guitar), and pluck the string. You will hear a dead note. Now keep plucking the string, and gradually reduce the pressure from your right hand. you will feel the difference as u go from full pressure to zero pressure thru your right hand. then maybe you can decide the optimum pressure required to get a proper muted note.

Make sure the side of your palm is resting right on the bridge.. else you will go straight from a dead note to a clear note. there will be no transition there.

14. horsesmouth

^ahhhhh.....dunno y is tht happening 2 me...
    i tried(even before n now too), but no success
    :(

15. acoustic12

acoustic12 New Member

can you get totally muted notes, by keeping the palm at the bridge..?
    If yes, just keep it there and reduce the pressure slowly. U'll get there. Again.. make sure the pressure remains at the moment when the string is being plucked. If you are on the base E string it should produce a sound similar to 'dub'. then ur juz inches away frm playing killing muted notes. Just get the pressure right.

16. horsesmouth

wel I put up as much prressure so as not to break my guitar
    still not happening.....
    :'(

17. acoustic12

acoustic12 New Member

you mean u hear clear notes all the timeee..???

18. horsesmouth

yea dats wht m tryin 2 say frm th' beginning......
    loll

19. acoustic12

acoustic12 New Member

Try moving the palm a little towards the sound hole, like half a cm, or 1 cm. keep trying.. there's no other way of palm muting. At least not that i have come across.

20. horsesmouth

are babba, how many times I tell ya......
    I keep ma hands just before th' sound hole so tht it doesnt make a dead note,
    but there are only 2 kinda notes I get:
    FULL volume, n DEAD note

So any solution??