Power Chord

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by cyclonetrap, Dec 14, 2005.

1. cyclonetrap

cyclonetrap New Member

Well coming to think of it .. power chords are one of the most easy to play chords on the guitar

. They are generally used along with distortion . They give a punch to your sound .. thats why

they are called power chords !

1] UNDERSTANDING THE POWER CHORDS

First fo all you need to know how the chord is constructed .

Unlike normal chords , power chords are defined by just 2 notes in the chord . It consists of thr

root note and the 5th note ( in the root note's scale ) .

For Eg : E Power Chord (one of the most important chords)

E major scale : E F# G# A B C# D# E

The root note : E
    The 5th Note : B

So the E power chord is The note E and the note B

E|-------|
    B|-------|
    G|-------|
    D|-------|
    A|-2-----|
    E|-0-----|

This means that you only play those strings that are shown . In the above example DO NOT PLAY THE

STRINGS "D G B E"

Adjusting to this type of strumming takes time and only practice will help you .

Eg 2 : G Power Chord

G maj scale : G A B C D E F# G

So the G Power chord is G + D notes

Now sometimes to make the chord feel punchier or more powerfull .... you can add the octave (8th)

note into your Chord ....

So the E Power Chord will be E + B + E

E|----|
    B|----|
    G|----|
    D|-2--|
    A|-2--|
    E|-0--|

Please note that knowing the notes on your fretboards as well as The scales will help u in better

knowing the chord .

Here is a List of The Basic Power Chords on the fretboard :

E PwrChrd

E|----|
    B|----|
    G|----|
    D|-2--|
    A|-2--|
    E|-0--|

F PwrChrd

E|----|
    B|----|
    G|----|
    D|-3--|
    A|-3--|
    E|-1--|

G PwrChrd

E|----|
    B|----|
    G|----|
    D|-5--|
    A|-5--|
    E|-3--|

A PwrChrd

E|----|
    B|----|
    G|----|
    D|-7--|
    A|-7--|
    E|-5--|

B PwrChrd

E|----|
    B|----|
    G|-4--|
    D|-4--|
    A|-2--|
    E|----|

C PwrChrd

E|----|
    B|----|
    G|-5--|
    D|-5--|
    A|-3--|
    E|----|

D PwrChrd

E|----|
    B|----|
    G|-7--|
    D|-7--|
    A|-5--|
    E|----|

Any PwrChrd can be played on any two strings .. just make sure the notes are correct [ root and 5th] .

2] Exercise : play each 4 times on a 4/4 metronom bar .
    1) : |E|F|G|A|
    2) : |E|G|F|A|
    3) : |E|G|C|D|
    4) : |E|B|G|D|

Start playing from 60bpm of metronom and gradually increase it . Make sure u Play the Chords properly .

3] Addons :
    Generally in a Power Chord the 5th is at a higer pitch than the root (all the examples above) . But you can also do vice versa . Take the root above the 5th .

Lets take the E powr Chord again :

E|---x|
    B|---x|
    G|---x|
    D|-2--|
    A|-2--|
    E|---x|

Do not play any other string other than "A and D" . Above we took the B note on the A string and the main root note "E" on D string .
    Similarly you can find out different combinations on the Fretboard . There can be many thousands of places on the fretboard .

probuddha likes this.
  2. scorpio_bharat

scorpio_bharat Ending The Start

nice lesson bro .. :rock:

3. vishwa_81us

vishwa_81us Banned

nice work dude.. reps..

can we play power chords barre... !!! so that we can get muting effects..

4. cyclonetrap

cyclonetrap New Member

bare as in ...... ??? i didnt get ur last sentence .

5. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

i think this thing has been covered before.... but thanks for refreshing the topic.

6. rocksta

rocksta Live Fast Die Young

guess u culd play the power chord as a barre chord...but playin only the required notes.

7. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

@ashishdani

Great lesson bro :)

Reps to you !!

8. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

ashish ... can u share ur tthoughts on palm mutee...

9. cyclonetrap

cyclonetrap New Member

Palm muting depends n how much i wnt the srings to be damped . Generally i keep my palm of my right hand resting just on the edge of the bridge . I have a FL tremolo so its easy on it . The more i want to dampen i move my right hand ahead and in this area i rest my hand by keeping the pinky finger on the guitar pick guard .

10. Bleeding Guitar

Bleeding Guitar New Member

Yes Barre can be use in Power Chords for muting

Palm muting is a guitar technique used to muffle the strings slightly, while simultaneously hitting the strings with the pick. It's used primarily on electric guitar, but can also be useful when playing acoustic guitar
    The key to proper palm muting is in the picking hand (for most of you, the right hand). The concept is to slightly mute the notes you are hitting with the pick, yet not mute them so much that they can't be heard. Rest the heel of your picking hand lightly on the strings, close to the bridge of the guitar. In your fretting hand, position your fingers to play a power chord with the root on the sixth string. Now, with the heel of your hand still touching all relevant strings (make sure it's covering the sixth, fifth and fourth - the strings your going
    to play), use your pick to play the chord. In a perfect world, you'd hear all the notes in the chord, only they'd be slightly muffled. Chances are, the first time you try it, it won't sound wonderful ... but what the heck give it a try :) its awsome

11. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

yea well said... p.m sounds kewl whn there perfectt hand eye coordination means u played a chord after gettin suffient sound mute the sound wid ur palm at the right time or else u will miss da rythm.