Power Chord Advice

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Liquid, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Liquid

Liquid New Member

ive tried to play some power chords....but ive been unsuccessful...i was tryin to play this one power chord:

d--12
    a--12
    e--10

i cant seem to hold the strings tight enough....especially the e string.....i just bend all the strings instead....i cant keep em in place....i asked a teacher at school...and he told me my fingers really werent that big enough to play power chords.. :annoyed:

2. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

hold e wid ur index finger.....and a and d wid ur ring finger and pinkie respectively....ur thumb must gone down a bit...so dat ur fingers can reach the top part of the fretboard.

3. tejas

tejas ..........

Seeing ur age, i dun think ur finger length can be smaller than mine. And i can play power chords, so u shouldnt have a problem too.Hold the e with ur index, a with ur ring finger and d with the pinky.make sure ur fingers are almost perpendicular to the fret board, if u keep them slant, there is a chance of bending the strings. When i say perpendicular, i dun mean it quite literally, but they shouldn't be slanting too much.I hope u get the picture.

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^^Ditto dude, just keep trying, dont strain your fingers too much though, BTW i assume that you're trying to play this on an acoustic?

5. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

first learn proper chords...dont neglect them..
    power chords will come once you learn proper major and minor chords.

6. d_ist_urb_ed

^Good Solid Piece Of Advice dharmatma:)

7. sumit

sumit HaNdS uPPP!!

let me suggest u.....go for chords first ....qafter u are easy with chords... go for power chords....strain ur fingers as much as u can...hope it helps

8. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

I think its because of your thumb,u could try doin
    -12-
    -10-

instead of
    -12-
    -12-
    -10-
    U might find it easier

9. Liquid

Liquid New Member

thanks guys..

actually im doin this on electric...

and i know my chords....i can play the basics....and switch with em...i can play barre as well...so im pretty good with the chords.....just dont know strumming that well :(

ok ill just try to hold em a little straighter...

i didnt get what u meant about the thumb though :S

10. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

by thumb he means where on the back of the neck your thumb is located. You'll see that if you adjust the placement of your thumb along the back of the neck on ANY chord you will find that in certain places the chord is comfortable to hold, however in other places you will also find that you can get more range on the fretboard.

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

thnx rabi..explained it much better than i could ever hope of doing.

12. Liquid

Liquid New Member

ok thanks!!...will give it a shot...

i asked my guitar teacher...and hes like.....for power chords to really sounds like power chords....u need distortion.....

and i dont have that....so should i try these anyways?

13. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

you don't need distortion for power chords. thats not true.

For instance one part of Eric Clapton's Layla (electric version) has a power chord sequence but the song is still played with overdrive and no distortion.
    Bryan Adams song Summer of 69 (electric version) also uses power chords but is played clean.

And if you need only the distortion then buy a cheap pedal.

14. d_ist_urb_ed

Your guitar teacher's wrong, you dont need distortion..........power chords can even be played on an acoustic and they'll sound fine.