post dedicated to all newbies in guitaring

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by subhajit_981, Nov 11, 2005.

1. subhajit_981

subhajit_981 New Member

Part1
    This post is dedicated to all newbies in guitaring

Well to start off I hate dimwit fat pocketed brand sloggers #@*_>>## .
    Let’s picture this u are new to guitaring and from day one u wanna play like ur idol but……..here the reality strikes u have no money/ for these highly hyped “proper gear”. Then u go in a forum (like this one) where u ask 4 advice and all u get is crappy sarcastic remarks or advice u this list of “proper gear” which u can’t afford.

So does this mean u can’t play good without these?
    Well mark my words u can read on.

Myth: there is a beginner’s gear & there is advanced gear
    Reality: there is a gear with more functional control there is a gear with less functional control.

Myth: if you own your idol’s gear you can play like him
    Reality: fact1) he wasn’t born with this gear, nor he achieved the “tone” waking up one day ,it came after many trial & errors also brand endorsements.
    Fact2) these are thousands or even millions of ppl own this rig setup & u will end up like another mediocre copycat.

Myth: Marshalls, Gibson, Vox etc. are like mercs a must have
    Reality: they are where u see them because of tremendous brand propagation & marketing management; in fact 40-50% times their new launch is a total crap & a market failure.

Minimum gear u require is entirely on where & what (style) u are playing

Guitar requirements (beginners [from pocket at least])
    Electric guitar
    · 22-24 frets fret board.
    · A minimum of two single coils (for clean guitaring) & one humbucker(for dirty guitaring)
    · Adjustable tremolo
    · Adjustable Truss rod
    · Volume & tone adjustment knobs & pickup selectors

Now come favorite myths
    Myth: the guitars of this blah blah company is good & others suck
    Reality: the things which sets apart one guitar from another is on two factors
    · Quality of pickups & fret board
    · Convenience features
    In other words buy a Givson & either tweak the pickups or change the pickups and u r a proud owner of custom guitar. What about fret board u ask? Well dear the difference is so minor that only trained ears can identify it.

For guitar tweaking
    Follow the url
    https://www.singlecoil.com/frmset.html

Myth: this particular guitar is good for this style
    Reality: the only job of guitar is to send signals and the quality of signal sent is dependent on pickups & what u hear (which actually counts) is dependent on amplifiers & speakers.

In other words those who say a strat can’t be used for thrash metal are stupid. All it requires is tweaking

Bye 4 now will be back with Part 2

nik_bokacheley likes this.
  2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Mostly nice but you a) propogated a myth and b) contradicted yourself
    Single coil for clean and huhmbucker for dirty and then you go ahead and say that you cant play thrash on a Strat
    And about a Givson playing properly after some time, you might have gotten lucky but most of the time, the neck will be warped and the intonation will be off and youll build up bad practice habits which are a nightmare to correct later and not "audible only to experts". However given that most of us can't afford the most expensive guitars, we do start with Givson (I had better sense and went for a Tansen)

3. jekyll

jekyll Banned

:boxed:

:annoyed:

well ok ... lets c ... i had the misfortune of settling for low and cost effective gear earlier ...

damn - it nearly killed my enthu ...

when i started i used an ultra-crappy acoustic ... i could only play opne chords on it ...
    it nearly made me stagnant - no improvement coz that instrument was godman nearly imposs to play ...

:aggre:

but even i dont endorse speding huge amounts ... like my current setup is
    Givson <--- wanna dispose it off
    KORG AX100G <--- will not dipose it off ... i like it
    Marshall MG10CD <--- probably wont dispose it off ... only hitch is that it has very less bass due to small speaker ...

and i started as a n00b (hech even now i am) ...

4. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Lol the guy who posted this is a total n00b. Giveson fretboard wood is so bad, people cannot even make a penstand out of it. It will break.

First learn about how string tensions work and then talk about fretboards.

And about the sarcastic remarks on Forums. Nothing can be as bad as yours.

5. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

well there r some cheap acoustics...in which u cant play barre chords...u gotta b a body builder 2 do tht :RollLol: n guitars with wide freboards r hard 2 play... but some info in ur post is correct @subhajit

6. abhijitnath

I guess what he was ranting about was the fact that most people say 'Gibson', 'Fender' and even 'PRS' (heavens! can ANYONE on this board afford a Custom 24? If so, I'd like to marry your daughter:)) to any and all queries, which even I think is quite random. But he obviously has very little clue about how guitars work and has done a google search.
    I personally like small luthiers who I think pay attention to every small detail you want ..which is why the day I can afford it I will go to Ron Thorn.

7. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

i got a PRS tremontiSE.... hmm yea custom24 is really expensive...paki band mekaaal hassan band has got PRS custom 24.......abt the google searchin thing... i agree wid ya

8. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Good post subhojet REPS t you..:)

I own a second hand acoustic guitar.. and am happy with that until it breaks down..:)

nIK!:nw:

9. subhajit_981

subhajit_981 New Member

NOTE TO har1s ,abhijitnath ,hindirox
    I am only talking about solid electric guitars, wait for my other two posts which will give u more technical insights and then decide who is novice here

10. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

i didnt say ur a newbie... just tellin u abt some objection on some info in ur post...

11. abhijitnath

Err..which of my points referred to acoustics?
    And I didnt say you were a noob...I was merely commenting on your insufferably arrogant post and lack of knowledge on the subject (which doesnt necessarily mean youre a novice..it merely means youre talking through your hat)

12. subhajit_981

subhajit_981 New Member

ok ok the 'electric guitar 'was for not 4 u buddy, but the subject here is to create a cost effective rig .
    about 'insufferable arrogance' well there are few posts here of ppl asking for a good rig in 10000-12000 & look at the caustic comments they got . I felt for them & this post is written in such a way that i am in their shoe.
    however buying a tansen over givson no sense either
    and about fretboard quality of givson gs lead-2 of givson is as good as any other guitar
    not that i am giving a propaganda of givson it was just an example
    about all high end rigs 'been there done that'

13. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Ahem....... Someone is just trying to act smart thats it. Let your own instinct and comfort help you choose your guitar.

14. abhijitnath

about all high end rigs 'been there done that'
    Really?
    If after all your extensive experience if you couldn't tell the difference over a BRW PRS (I assume since youve been there done that youwould have owned multiple copies of it) and a Givson then I think some questions need to be asked.
    Also you still havent clarified why your post is full of contradictions and why your grammar is so bad.

15. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Sorry dude. I thought that message was for me. I've edited my post.

LOL leave out the n00bs.

16. subhajit_981

subhajit_981 New Member

DUHH!!..your arguments are floccinauccinihilipilification of pointless
    anyways u a english teacher or wht ?

17. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

LOL. Pointless thread. And you a big n00b.

18. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^^^ so are u on this website :p:

19. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Thats a test i'm sure you'll fail.

Here's a challenge. You pick a song. One week time. Lets see who can manage to perfect it.

Pick From
    1. YYZ - Rush
    2. Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart(Tempo = 145 Minimum)
    3. Always With Me, Always With You - Joe Satriani(Same Speed as Joe)

20. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^^ dude if u are referring to me ...
    then i will fail any test ...

i am really a fucking n00b even after so many years of playing :cry1: and am not joking ...