Porblem with Fingerpicking

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by kaiser, Oct 8, 2004.

1. kaiser

kaiser Bored

hi all...!

i ve been fingerpickin for quite some time now but i feel ive reached a ceiling. whenever i try to play a little fast, i end up playing some muffled crap. i dont even go real fast.

could it be cuz i got small fingers? even my nails r small....

how do i go about improving my fingerpikin without screwin my accuracy?

wonder how the spanish play their stuff.....awesome man!!

2. learn lots and lots of classical pieces.....
    and yeah check out mark knopfler.....hes one hell of a finger picker..he doesnt shred tho..

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

hey kaiser , u need a bit of practise...

i like fingerpicking then using a pick , u have to keep in ur mind the timing of playing each string and ur chords,...

juss keep on pactising with simpler chords and gradually keep on increasing the pace with known chords ...

u wud get thr :)

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Read the stuff Raj has posted in the BEginners q&A..

5. uxma

uxma New Member

I have a problem in chords switching , I even cant shift ezily from F to G or back :(

6. nitinsw

nitinsw the unforgiven

while finger picking, are we supposed to rest our pinky finger on the guitar, or should it be in air ???

7. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

well, classical music doesn't make use of the little finger... so basically as long as the rest of your hand is in the correct position you can shift your pinky finger to suit your comfort level... however, modern stuff may or may not require the use of your little finger and for playing such songs which do, its advisable to leave it hovering in the air.