POP Vs ROCK

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by supersujit, Aug 24, 2003.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Why is that a valid criticism?
    I can listen to Tori Amos all day despite her being musically 'pop' because her lyrics and attitude are soooooo what rock is all about.
    And 'Patience' is a sickeningly soppy pop ballad in my opinion.
    So who draws the line?
    And who is to say that The Police or Sigur Ros (possibly both pop bands in your book) have less talent than the marketed garbage of the Rasmus and Limp Bizkit?

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Precisely. I seem to be sharing a lot of your opinion.

The only place where the line exists is in our heads....it is often drawn there by our peers or by people we look upto...which is why it so important to have a balanced teacher.

3. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Yup right dude ........
    The real pop died sometime back .......
    POP is Osmonds , Abba , Be Gees , Bonney M , Duran Duran , Jackson , Elton Jhon , Chicago , Richard Marx etc ....

4. dmcdjjack

dmcdjjack New Member

wat is this all about

5. dmcdjjack

dmcdjjack New Member

y don't ask about hiphop 2

6. dmcdjjack

dmcdjjack New Member

y don't u ask about hiphop 2

7. metal_fan69

metal_fan69 To Live Is To Die

Hip hop is special kinda non-sense
    it is like talking anything rapid and give some techno effects

Rock is diff
    this is the music which can get you out of this world
    ROCK RULES

8. metal_fan69

metal_fan69 To Live Is To Die

No Reply !

9. deepakborania

deepakborania New Member

Rock Rulz!!

10. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

pffft..n00bs

11. knight_guitar

knight_guitar Lead Guitarist

oh my god :O it's a disgrace to rock music.. u can't even compare rock genre to hip-hop , R&B and pop , should compare two different genre in rock , what kinda thread is this ??

12. Theguitarist

Theguitarist New Member

True very true.That's what i would like to say too.
    Rock cannot be compared.

13. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

hmm...I dont entirely agree. There are crapheads like Fred Durst and co. who are a disgrace. And there is Abba, Eva Cassidy and many pop artists who are anyday better than than so many crappy rock bands.

To be honest this is a lame discussion, comparing two genres. I listen to extreme metal and also gazal and old hindi stuff does that make me uncool. Seriously, its all about being true to oneself rather than listning to some genre just to be popular.

14. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

^ Well said. :beer: You cant really say whats better because better means different things to different people. The best thing to do is to check both genres out and see what you like. Might be none, one or both.

I listen to 17-18 century spansh music too amongst other wierder things :grin:

15. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

To that I don't agree. There is enough good pop material out there. I mean, popular music can be anything - jazz, rock, hip hop, soul, new age... that appeals to the masses. James Blunt, Maroon 5, Michael Buble, Sarah Brightman, norah jones, il divo (i recently bought their albun n its good! good operatic pop!)

16. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Agreed that genres matter little, but there's no harm in discussing about it. In fact its a very handy tool in classifying bands and useful for many purposes. Some people give it exaggerated importance. Thats what is bad, not the system and any discussions on the genre.

17. mad_man

mad_man oo my god kill Em all

@deepakborania could agree more with you
    really ..........

POP S U C K S
    &
    ROCK R U L E S

simple and there is no much difference between the two.

18. slashboyin

slashboyin New Member

pop is gay. especially backstreet boys

19. slashboyin

slashboyin New Member

well put :rock: my friend

20. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

You got metal equivalents of backstreet boys. Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit anyone?