Poll: How did u learn to play guitar?

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by micraft, Jul 29, 2004.

1. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

Hey those of u who r not taking any classes..
    there r many web sites available like
    WWW.guitartips.com.au
    who offer free tutorials..
    they also provide free guitar chord charts and the way to play them.

2. HARIOMTATSAT

HARIOMTATSAT New Member

hei guies.
    when i was enjoying orientation week of rai university in dehradun campus, there a bhutani (who later became my frnd and now is in canada) "CHIMI NORJE" played guitar for a song i sang. it was "do dil mil rahe hain- pardesh".

from that day i decided to start learning guitar but unfortunatly i came to noida. from thean, i got a book on rock guitar which gives chords diagrams, and the net, i.e., u all.

and with my own self i am learning how to play it .

hopin' it works. but i feel that a teacher is must for u.

3. annand

annand the pessimist

micraft: my response may be a little late, but here it is anyway.

i pretty much self taught myself to play. a few times i wanted to take lessons from a teacher, but i decided not to. i wanted to teach myself..

some advice: you don't need an instructor to teach you to play the guitar, although it will help a lot. an instructor will teach you proper technique while you may not quite grab the why of it early on while learning by yourself. what i suggest is to start of learning the five basic chords CAGED, their major and minor versions, and barre chords also. as for scales, the only thing you should worry about is the pentatonic scale - major or minor - scales is something you should leave until you think you're ready for them, there's no rush. how would you know when you're ready for scales? you'll know when you are - trust me on that. besides the major, minor and barre chords and the pentatonic scale, try learning songs. try learning easy songs at first. AND WHATEVER SONG YOU DO ATTEMPT (the easy ones that is) DO NOT LEAVE IT INFINISHED. FINISH THE ENTIRE SONG, DON'T LEAVE OUT ANY PARTS. i cannot stress that enough. no song is too difficult to learn when it's relatively slow, it just takes a little patience. learn each songs piece by piece. break it up as you would a word when learning it. syllable by syllable. note for note.

well, i've lost track of what i'm writing so if this is anyway helpful and you would like some pointers, e-mail me: [SNIP]

-AR

4. *+*neel_pori*+*

*+*neel_pori*+* Double Poster

my teacher is samir khasnobish and he-s great

5. paranoid13rohan

paranoid13rohan .: iNDiaN iDioT 3.0 :.

i'm self-learned 2 ...
    i'm playin 4 d past 3 n a half yr or so ...
    i hav done live shows 2 ...
    but dere's sumthin missin ...
    i sumtimes feel like goin 2 a teacher 4 lessons ...
    but IGT is a gud teacher ... i guess ...

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No.

The little that I've learnt on the guitar has been by not spending time on IGT.

7. skorpion

skorpion b@cKbEncHeR

hi ppl ......... I have been playing guitar since 3 yrs now .... learnt from websites .... i guess the best form of learning is to attend jamming sessions, there u get to learn lots .... and yes IGT does help ....

8. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

Leaning

Never make the mistake of trying to learn to play on your own. A good teacher will correct you on your posture, your right and left hand placement and the mistakes you make. YOur whole body acts in concert when you play the guitar. If you want to play melody on the guitar, be it classical, Flamenco or other, you have to develop the correct muscle memory. If it is developed incorrectly, it will be very DIFFICULT to correct later on.
    Look for a teacher who wil notice these things, and not just the clock. Subcounciously, our shoulders tend to sympathetically compensate for the right and left hand positions. What is mean is , whn you play a barre chord for example, subconsciously you shoulder will tend to bunch up, and impede your play. If you don't cath it early , you will think that is the "correct" way to play, and this will become your muscle memory.
    Only a good teacher can catch such subtelties.
    Good luck !

9. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I feel that making it too stiff will make music too robotic
    Nobdy here wants to play flamenco they wanna play hard rock
    Can you imagine Slash or Keith Richards worring about muscle memory

The success of learnig guitar by one self depends on what u want to achive
    Most people just want to play enough to impress friends and they dont have time to worry about all technical stuff

Its hard to take it step by step when you are 18 or 20 and started finding intrest in guitar

And also it hard to find a good guitar teacher in india
    I know people who have gone to teachers for 5 years and not play even half as good as me.

10. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

I am sorry you feel that way. It's your prerogative. learn on your own and be limited, or get a good teacher and fly like an eagle. THe ability to play well is not just speed. It is the intonations you put i the instrument. Bad habbits will strangle your ability to play as you advance. If all you want to do is play chords and sing, i'd tend to agree with you. But mastery of the guitar requires dedication, perseverance, good habits. Not all teachers are alike. I used to think like you. I realized I had hit a wall. Took me a long time to unlearn my mistakes, thanks to a fabulous teacher.

11. skorpion

skorpion b@cKbEncHeR

i do agree with johnny but as said by ambush , if u say without a teacher u can never learn guitar, thts not true ..... the problem with many of the teachers (atleast in india) is that they try to influence u very much with their own style of playing .. which i think is not good ..... when u learn urself and if u have a good sense of music u'll develop ur own style which i think is better

12. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

i got my first guitar wen i was 6.joined a camp thing in my school.der the guy taught me the first basics,like der are notes and stuff. then went on my own.
    after 6 years i've joined parikrama to learn something more.

13. koolstrum

koolstrum The Chosen One

When I was young my dad brought me a li'l casio stuff, so i developed a music sense from then onwards, started playin mouth organ, flute and bagpiper in school like from class 8th, and i also played an instrument that was called a Bigul.slowly i indented towards guitar seeing one of my frenz play it.but no support from teachers or parents kept my dreams unpacked.

But then one day my friend got a gift from his aunty. an epiphone crown guitar. I first understood the basic thing and my friend told me the science behind the sound but only wot he got to know from his physics book. then following that i played leads of kaho na pyar hai n karz and he was amused. Then we searched for a teacher, and I found one. a nice guy who was then in his second year engineering.now toh he has left guitaring and is in IIT bangalore.but back to the story. I use to go with my friend sumtimes. he use to learn and i use to sit (and memorize and understand) so when my friend was finished learning the basic 3 fingered chords and one or two barre, i sucked all the knowledge and practiced a lot in his guitar.and then i found out i was playin faar faaaaar better.
    but only three fingured.
    when i went for my councelling for engineering, i chose an inferior college just becoz of two reasons.
    1) I was getting a gud trade that is electronix and Comm.
    2) the college had its own band.
    this is part one of the story . next part will be posted soon