plzz can any 1 tell me wht iz the right position of left hand thumb when doing tabbin

Discussion in 'Pakistani Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by maaani, Jan 7, 2007.

1. maaani

maaani New Member

can any1 tell me wht is the right position of left hand thumb when tabbing... i know the thumb is on the back of the neck but i want to know where i should place thumb, in middle or over the neck orr where..????? plz plzz yar koye bata day ... aur plz yar try karna kee easy way may bata doo.. plz plz ..

2. drunkpunk

drunkpunk New Member

yaar maani waisay actually my method is that i keep it whereever i feel easily,,and some times i use that to mute the top string....waisay i'll be happy to hear the answer from the experts too.,,cya

3. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Place your thumb perpendicular to the neck and make sure the palm's not touching the neck.

After saying that it all comes down to your comfort in the end.

4. maaani

maaani New Member

i saw goha from jal when he played...

i saw many guitarist his thumb is over the neck... and gohar when he played the lead of aadat... his thumb is over the neck... and his palm also touches the neckk... :nw: u told me the thumb should be perpendicular to the neck and the palm shouldn't touches the neck...

5. maaani

maaani New Member

can u tell me when tabbin at sharp frets....

can u tell me when i tabb on sharp frets.. i mean after after 12 frets .. my palm is touching with neckk.... or when i add hammers or pulls my pal touching with neck.... can u tell me kay chaye kaisi bhi fret per play karin to palm touch nehi hona chaye.... ? i saw gohar ..when he played addat lead... his palm toched with the neck....... :nw:

plzz tell me plzz.... kay palm touch hona chaye ya nehi ..??/ l plzzzzz:nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

6. vedder

vedder New Member

Notty_lad is correct about the palm not touching the neck!

You should avoid clasping the neck of the guitar. Firstly, if you hold the guitar neck that way, then you would notice that stretching the fingers becomes difficult. Secondly when you have to move quickly between chords (especially barre chords) you have to slide the entire palm over the back of the neck which involves more friction! (Yeah, I happen to be a science student!..:p) Also, holding barre chords becomes more cumbersome!

With regards to the thumb, you can slide over the neck occasionally. You might wanna slide it over the neck to fret (or at times mute) the 5th or the 6th string or maybe while bending notes to add force. But otherwise, the thumb generally rests in the middle of the back of the neck in a comfortable position.

Just a couple of things though:
    1) At the end of the day, you should be comfortable with the way you hold the instrument!..:)
    2) Gohar is not the guy to look up to if you wanna learn guitar!..:p

Cheers!

7. sam_guitar

sam_guitar New Member

i agree with vedder that Gohar is not the guy to look up to if you wanna learn guitar!..:p
    but still he is greatttttttttttttttttttt guitarist and composer and writer .. i just love him and

8. vedder

vedder New Member

yeah...he is a good composer!..no doubt about that!..:)

9. maaani

maaani New Member

thanks vedder

thankyou soo much VEDDER .. u relly helped me .. thanks ....