plz guys help me buy my 1st electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ankit55, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ankit55

ankit55 New Member

hey...hi...i m plannin 2 buy my 1st electric guitar...which 1 shall i buy?? seen ibanez GRG170 & GRG270..kinda lyk dem...bt dn't know mch abt dem....budgets arnd 15k....
    how abt fender??? which 1's better??suggest abt oder companies also..plzz...evry1..m dyin 4 ur advice...kinda urgent...

2. blahblahblah

blahblahblah New Member

hey...lemme know if u want a distortion pedal too...

3. romancerig

romancerig Banned

Grg170 is a gud option( grg270 is around 18k i think)...u can also check out fender squier affinity fatstrat,greg bennett av3..try them at the shop n decide.

4. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Hi Ankit,

GRG 270 Ibanez is a good choice - but a HEAVY ONE.
    Go in for fender if you have good budget around 20-25k

About pedal, if you are a begginer - go for Zoom G2

& a Marshall Amp -

This is my combination, works good for me in a good budget, I'll certainly add it up a higher step in budget, when I am more free to give time to guitar - as right now I am busy

Visit my site for more info:

https://www.shriworld.com/guitar/

Regards,

Shri

5. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Do you really need a floyd rose bridge?
    They really are a pain if you dont have some experience with it.

I say you dont get a floyd unless you are absolutely sure you need one.

6. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

don't get the ibanez grg170. it has a floating trem which in my opinion is terrible. also the pickups are not that great. go for the fixed bridge grg 121. it's about 12 grand and is pretty decent.

fender guitars are expensive but their licensed knockoffs the squire series guitars are not that bad but most come with single coil pickups which i do not like. but then that's a matter of preference. for a better guitar try the greg bennett avion ones. they are les paul clones but play better than the ibanez models.

7. vicks_virgo

vicks_virgo New Member

@ eldrichr, what are the drawbacks of a floating tremolo? I was also thinking of zeroing in on GRG170DX. Is GRG170DX the same as GRG170? BTW, GRG170DX is available for Rs. 13,700 here in Delhi. The other features of GRG170DX are as follows:

* GRG-shape maple neck
    * Basswood body
    * 24 medium frets
    * Rosewood fingerboard
    * FAT 10 bridge
    * Powersound 1 humbucker at neck
    * Powersound single-coil in middle
    * Powersound 2 humbucker at bridge
    * Sharktooth inlay
    * Chrome hardware

8. romancerig

romancerig Banned

@vicks
    the main drawback of floating tremolo is tat it use of it makes the guitar go out of tune very easily.
    Nd da only diff btwn 170 n 170dx is the sharktooth inlay.

9. vicks_virgo

vicks_virgo New Member

Which Ibanez has a fixed bridge in and around the same range as that of GRG170DX i.e. 13-14K?

10. romancerig

romancerig Banned

Grg121 at 12k.
    Rg321mh at 19k(my fav).

11. vicks_virgo

vicks_virgo New Member

I am also in love with Rg321mh. But, I have no idea as to where, in Delhi, I can buy it from?

12. romancerig

romancerig Banned

Get it if u can..gr8 axe. must be available at raj musicals i think.

13. ankit55

ankit55 New Member

thnx 4 ur replies evry1...btw..wat do u think abt greg bennett avions.??

14. vicks_virgo

vicks_virgo New Member

Whatever reviews I have come to know about Greg Bennet avions from IGT are very good and positive. So, IMO, you can rely on these guitars.

15. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

try and see. i didn't like the Greg Bennett guitars because of the thicker necks. that's it. and the missing single coil pickup. that's the reason i got an ibanez. but honestly the tremolo on low end ibanez guitars is terrible. it's more of a show piece that anything else. a locking trem is better but then at that price you can't expect much. a floating bridge also "kills" sustain but then that is upto you.

try both and see what you like better.

16. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

Actually, floating bridges are not a pain at all.There is a steep learning curve but you will eventually get the hang of it.But ,getting a guitar with a floating bridge in your price range must be avoided at all costs simply because the bridges used will be very poorly built.You are much better of with a hardtail guitar.If your going ibanez,avoid the grg series.your best bet is the rg321.If you are looking into squiers,well,their quality control is kinda poor .So take someone expirienced with you to play the guitar and check its condition first hand before buying.

17. ankit55

ankit55 New Member

hey satch...wat do u think abt greg bennett av3???

18. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

Regarding greg bennetts,i dont have a great opinion about them.I have played the av1 and the av3.The av3 is mahogany bodied,so its heavy as hell whereas the rg is basswood.The av3's got a set neck so it will offer better sustain but overall the rg321 is a better built guitar.Its got a great bound neck, the pickups are ok for a beginner.It feels better to me.Another thing, the rg has a thin wide neck which a lotta people may not like.Generally most les paul necks are narrow and thick so it offers a totally different feel.

Also ,the fret work was really poor on the av3.The rg has much better fret work.The thing is, ibanez spends more time getting the basics of the instrument right rather than loading it with stuff for a particular price.Reliability and durability are very important because you dont want your guitar to fall apart 3-4 years from now .This is where the ibanez scores big..

19. ankit55

ankit55 New Member

hw mch does da rg321 cost??

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The only "low priced" Ibanezes I liked were the ones proced above 18K.
    And they were fixed bridge.

Don't rememner the model number.
    Rest sounded total crap. Played total crap.

I wonder how can ppl afford to waste 12-15K on lower proced Ibanez!