pls help...recording problems while using digitech rp 355 multi effects

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nayansurfer, Jul 14, 2011.

1. nayansurfer

nayansurfer New Member

i successfully installed all the necessary software recommended by digitech in the instruction manual & also ensured that my computer had identified this multi effects unit i.e. digitech rp 355.Still,when i switch on cubase,are there any settings to be made inside this software? because i pressed the record button,but my guitar playing couldn't be recorded.Also i would like to know why i can't use my amp while recording,to hear what i'm playing? Will i have to use headphones to hear what i'm recording? Does the amp get disabled when the unit is connected to a computer? Also i noticed that if the amp is connected to the processor when the processor is plugged into the computer,the amp functioned as the computer's speakers i.e. whatever sounds were supposed to come from the computer's speakers could be heard from the amp! pls reply.i'm stuck.I already tried the digitech forums and also had previously tried the digitech thread on this forum for another question,but i only get answers when i post my queries here.So do reply to this thread or mail me at nayansurfer@gmail.com.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You can always use your computer speakers to listen to what is being played.
    Anything special with your amp, that you wish to listen through it?

Second what interface are you using? (Guitar/Processor to PC)

3. nayansurfer

nayansurfer New Member

i wished that i could listen to what i play through my amp,while i'm recording.I think my amp gets disabled when i connect my processor to my computer.It starts functioning as the computer's speaker,strangely,i don't know how.
    I didn't try listening through my computer's speakers while recording,i'll try that.Thanks.
    As my processor has USB out,it's directly connected to my computer.No interface needed.
    Try to help me.Thanks again.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Let me get this straight, you are in this kind of setup:
    Code:
    guitar ===> processor ===> usb interface to PC
                          ===> analog cable to amplifier

Is it?

So your problem is that why digital interface (USB) and analog interface (cable to amp) are not working together for your processor?
    This might be a design constraint by Digitech.

Or is it that why you can't listen to what is being recorded.
    In which case - I believe you just need to tweak the settings on cubase to hear what your record.
    Which you can monitor via computer speakers or headphones.

And since, in your case, you say that your guitar amp becomes PC speakers when connected - you would be actually able to listen to what is being recorded over your amp also.

5. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

First of all you have setup your input settings of your soundcard the proper way. Select the input channel and open the slider.
    Open Cubase SX (don't know what version you get, i've version SX 5), go to the Device menu/ VST connections. Select the input tab, if there are no busses, add a bus of you choice ( mono/ stereo, 5.1 etc. ). In the same window you should select the right Device port in case you have more then one input channel on your soundcard! Close the window and you will be able to record anything you want from the input source of your soundcard.
    Recording in Cubase, just add an audio track and hit the record button on the transport bar! If you have added more than one bus in your VST connections window, you then have to select the the proper bus on the left in the main window!
    Good luck man!

6. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

And also be sure you have selected the proper Asio driver. To do such, go to the Devices menu/ Device setup.
    In the new window click on VST Audio System, in the right panel click on the down arrow to choose your Asio driver of your soundcard. You will be prompt Switch or Keep, click on Switch. After this click OK and your audio settings are confirmed!

Edit: Search Google or Youtube for more valuable tips and tricks!

7. nayansurfer

nayansurfer New Member

Since i've no other input device when recording from my processor,i would like to know exactly what settings should be made in the VST connections.Currently its not listing my processor as a input device there.I would like to know what to do to add my processor as an input device there.Please help.Thanks.

8. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

First you have to activate your input channel of your soundcard. Then you should select the input channel (your soundcard input channel) in the VST connections window! And then you should be able to record from your input device!

9. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

Have read some review about this device, if i'm right this is an audio interface too, isn't it!
    You then should select this device as your input channel for recording!
    If its installed the proper way on your PC, you then will be able to see it in the VST connections window!
    Good luck!