pls help in selecting an electric guitar ???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by richa_chopra, Jul 9, 2008.

1. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

hi guys ,
    i have been playing an acoustic guitar .now i wanna strum on some electric one . i have a budget of around 15 grand for guitar . i have heard about ibanez rg 321 . i have played grg 170 but not this one . can anyone tell me if i should buy this guitar . does it have a clean tone [ not like those esp `s having distorted tone ].also the guy at bajaao. com initially suggested rg 321 but then said that rgr 421 also has much warmer tone than former .

so is 421 really worth spending 3ooo bucks more or 321 is just fine .

i am totally confused , pls help me out ..txsssss..

2. ozone

ozone New Member

I tried out the 321 when i went shopping for my guit last week. It has a 5 way selector for 2 humbuckers if i remember. The pickups are ok ok, could have been better if it had EMG pickups. Overall its not a bad guitar for its price but its action looked... mm... wierd i may say initially i thought it can be adjusted by the floating bridge. Then it came to my mind that it was not a floyd rose. Neway bridges floyd rose n all was very new to me. My friend suggested i try out grg 220 dex-bkn n i ended up buyin it. Its a matter of personal choice.

Bout the 421 they didnt have that model but i beleive it has EMG pickups.. thats all i know n its a common fact that all grg models have action problems (obvious with the lower price tag) so choose your peice carefully.

and others dont bark at me if im wrong at what i said. Go easy...!!!! (i find a lot of ppl here waiting to pounce on evry detail of info put out)....

K enough said 421 is good but 3k more for better pickups is not worth it.. atleast not for EMG's.. also depends on the make of EMG 421 is offering. Choose well.

prit_undead likes this.
  3. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

hw bout a fender squire?

4. rohit

rohit New Member

rg321 is a good guitar.
    no floating bridge,very nice tone.
    low price.

try it out it's a good guitar.

5. lazy_headbanger

lazy_headbanger New Member

If your more interested in clean(er) tones,squiers are good for their price,if you like don't compare them to successors...the real fenders,but they are fine guitars.
    humbuckers give you low noise amplifications and variety of sounds if you have more than one of course.but ibanez have really good sustain and the 321 is a good guitar for its price i'd say.
    If you really wanna splurge on ur 15k,you can import a squier,cause chinese ones don't match up to the japanese/US ones if you can get one.
    Make sure you get an amp with nice cleans

6. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

thanks guys . i dont wanna get squire coz i wanna play all type s of muzik .
    has any one used rg 321 or similar ......

7. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

also i hope that i won t have to regret after buying rg 321 ,or is it advisable to spend some more bucks and get a good guitar like av 6 ...

what do experts have to say on this ????.........

8. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

and for processor , digitech rp 80 /90 or korg ax 5g , ?????

so much confusion...........drivin me crazyyyyyyyy..

again need u r guidance ..... i want wah pedal in my proc...

9. lazy_headbanger

lazy_headbanger New Member

Then,according to me the rg is a good buy,plus bajaao.com has an indonesian one.the wizard neck is pretty fast,great for shredding Its a great buy for its price i think.
    You could do is visit some decent guitar shops and try some axes out.otherwise am pretty sure you won't regret buying the RG.
    As for the processors,personally i would say,go for the korg(i love it somehow),and toneworks is great.can't say anything about the wah effect but its a great processors.

10. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

No you wont regret buying the 321..i have one and its a sweet instrument ..
    Av 6 is a great one too but its sound is a lot different from the RG. It definitly doesnt do metal..but you can do a veriey of things with RG

11. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

and what about the processor . i am llookn forward to rp 80 ..

what say??.........

12. gautam_bapuli

gautam_bapuli New Member

go for dunlop wah wah pedal

wahwah~~~~wahwah~~~wahwah

13. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

dont go 4 digitech
    at least rp80
    i hav 1 nd i was pretty happy with it
    thn i gt myself a boss gt8 nd realized hw crappy nd digi sounding my rp80 is
    i've played on da korg low end models nd they r way btr
    only prob is dat da price tag might be a bit intimidating (i think)
    nd even da most basic proc has wah
    so dont worry bout it

u cn also try out da boss me50
    its a blast

14. highwalker

highwalker New Member

Get an Ibanez RG 321 and you wont regret it by far the less :)

For the processor you can go for the higher end RP series instead of the 80's...

Did you find what you wanted yet?

15. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

You're comparing two very different multi-effects, both in terms of the feature as well as the price range.

I've seen Korg does tend to model the actual effects better. You can hear the difference between an Ibanez TS808 and any pedal that tries to mimic it. But the Korg comes the closest in its price range.

As to the guitar, Ibanezs are what sells in India. Apart from how the guitar plays, I would also be looking at how many people are using and satisfied with it. Haven't heard a single Ibanez'er complaining about his axe in any way. Personally I dont prefer them, coz I like fat, meatier necks aka Les Paul 50's or 59's vintage. Ibanez pups are primarily high output metallish pups. I prefer a more vintage Ace Frehley, Angus Young, Led Zep tones and you need really vintage-y pickups for that.

But anyways, what I always suggest to people looking for gear is to try it out, and try as many and as long as you like, and buy it only if you are satisfied. I have my own gear for sale too, and would not let someone buy it before he tries it out. I am a musician, and know the importance of the "tone".

So best of luck in your search for the axe, and happy rocking!!

16. highwalker

highwalker New Member

^^Absolultely and agree completely with thepacifist!

Ibanez are metal sounding but then I love the Steve Vai and JS sound their JEM's ;), as pacifist rightly put it, its the sound that drives each person for their tastes.

Rock on \m/_ :)

17. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

txs all u ppl out there . i have ordered for a rg 321 n digitech rp 80. i opted for digitech caz it has drum beats also in it. i know that alll tis low end processors are junk . but for a beginner i think , rp 80 wuld serve da purpose ...

txs once againd and keepp rocknnnnnnnnnnnn..

18. Gibbylespaul

Gibbylespaul New Member

You should begin just fine with a low end ibanez(fixed bridge) and a vox DA5 or Roland Microcube. Both amps have built in effects, and it saves u money, space and the cables that you'd need for effects pedals/processors or what not. If it's a Effex pedal u need, then i'd suggest the Line 6 pocket POD for starters. Sound more realistic.