Please suggest a better pair for 20k-24k

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by dumphuck, Apr 28, 2010.

1. dumphuck

dumphuck New Member

Hey there,
    I'm a long time reader and recently decided to move up from my acoustic
    to a electric guitar. After reading through the forums and trying out certain guitars
    at certain shops i have zeroed in on the following guitars and Amps.
    Though i am confident about the Amps, maybe some one can suggest a better
    Guitar

Guitars
    Ibanez GRG 170DX 12.9K
    Ibanez GRG 270 14.9K
    Ibanez GRG 220DEX 16.9K
    ESP MH-50 18.8K

Amps
    Marshal MG10CD 3.5K
    MG15CD 5.6K

The prices reflected are from bajaoo.com as they seemed to be lowest to me
    beause i couldn't manage to haggle the shops to match them.
    I have decided to hold off on the effects and processors for now being just
    a learner and this is all i can afford right now.(Would a cheaper guitar and Amp
    with effects accessories be a smarter move ?)

Thanks in Advance

2. Side_Show_Joy

Side_Show_Joy New Member

What kind of music do you play? Rock/Pop/Metal?

3. dumphuck

dumphuck New Member

Very metal, slightly rock but absolutely no pop.
    A massive Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield fan.

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

try to get the RG series instead of the GRG series.. they're much better guitars.. there's an RG370DX..RG350DX..RG350EX..RG321MH..etc...

5. yesh11

yesh11 New Member

NOO! grg series are not good! they are not at all good! their clean sucks! distorsion is decent! RG series is nice! dude get sa260fm.its awesome! 20k max and get an marshall! marshall is decent compared to others, even they r made n mumbai but engineered n uk! decent ones! and u kno grg series have floyd rose! i ll recomend u nt to go for a floyd rose! you ll regret! It s so complicated for a beginner, but once ur a used to it, u can jus control it AWESOME! even cort guitars r nice! very good! get a decent guitar , do a slight research abt the wood and get it, change the pickups later! and ur good to go :)

6. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

You better stay clear of the marshal.

7. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

And you better stay clear of a Floyd Rose (or any tremolo bridge at all) on a guitar below the ~30k range.

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

it aint a metal axe i guess..

9. flood

flood New Member

i might be selling my slightly modded and improved RG in the next week. all depends on whether i buy my new guitar or not, and whether a friend (who has first dibs) wants it.

stay tuned (literally), you'll get a used and somewhat beaten up guitar that's far superior to the crap you've listed for a lot less.

10. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

^^ have u upgraded the pups?

11. flood

flood New Member

nope. only shielded the **** out of it with nice thick expensive copper tape, no cheapo aluminum foil and fevicol here. reworked the wiring for a star grounding scheme. it doesn't sound fantastic now, but there was a marked improvement in tone and dynamics after that, thanks to lowered hum and noise from ambient sources the signal to noise ratio seems to have improved. much better results when playing fingerstyle (jeff beck FTW).

it isn't a PRS ted mccarty or a burstbucker equipped les paul now, but it sounds a lot more acceptable. didn't upgrade the pups cause the place where i'm ordering parts from didn't have some stuff in stock till may. i'd still do the pickup change for my needs, but i think for this dude's needs, it should be ready to play as-is.

also adjusted the neck a bit, there was some forward bow when i bought the guitar. plays a lot better now. my action is a bit high cause i'm more of a slow player and like my chords and notes to ring out; i really dig in hard too, because i'm going guitar - low-watt tube amp most of the time, and i love to hear the amp react to how hard or soft i play. oddly enough, after the mod, the guitar seems to sound sweeter.

also added a treble bleed mod and an extra cap to really cut treble on the tone knob, but that's easily reversible.

12. Side_Show_Joy

Side_Show_Joy New Member

If you are getting it just for home use i.e. no practicing with a drummer - then go for one of the lower power Roland Cube amps - maybe the 15x or the 20x/30x. Nothing else is in the same league price-wise. The built in amp-sims should get you your Metallica tone easily.

Guitars in your price range are a total random lottery scenario - take a friend with you who knows how to tell a good guitar from bad - and go through 2-3 guitars of the same model. Select the one that sounds best to you. A 10k guitar is not necessarily worse than a 20k guitar - at these low price ranges the Quality Control at the Guitar Companies are not that great and you will find that although 95% of the guitars sound like shit - there are those 5% hidden "gems" that can be discovered if you look hard enough. ;)

All the best!

13. dumphuck

dumphuck New Member

@ Everyone
    Thank you everyone for your prompt replies

So from what i gather would an Ibanez SA260FM for 19.9k with a Rolland 15x 15 W
    guitar amplifier with 4 distortion effects for 5.8k be better ?
    The RG series guitars are all 25k plus and that would leave me no wiggle room for
    the amps, although i might be able to afford them after saving up.

Would the Ibanez RG 370DX be worth the wait and the 6-7k difference over an Ibanez SA260FM ?
    (The RG 370DX is the only RG series guitar that i have actually tried out from the RG series
    and i have not tried on a SA260FM yet though i intend to in the near future.)
    BTW will the 4 distortion effects bundled with the rolland be good enough atleast for a beginner or should i get a another set of effects accessories later when i can afford them ?.

Thanks again

14. flood

flood New Member

you seem to have missed my post completely... :/

15. dumphuck

dumphuck New Member

I did not miss your posts i just though you said you have already promised your
    modded and improved, shielded with copper tape, star grounding wiring scheme, neck
    adjusted RG to a friend, that too depending on the possibility that you buy another guitar
    replacing this one.
    Anyway, if that guy doesn't want it, i'd like to have a look at it.

I guess i am second in line.
    (I am gonna have to do a whole bunch of googling to find out what those modding terms actually mean :\ )
    Thanks