Please advice. Im buying a new Electric Guitar.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by andystringer83, Jul 14, 2005.

1. andystringer83

andystringer83 New Member

Hi all
    Im from Bangalore. And in pursuit of buying an electric guitar. Sad to say that all the Guitar Stores here in Bangalore are a BIG RIP OFF man :mad: and all the guitars sound like earthen pots LOL :shock: . Which forces me to look for a guitar outside Bangalore. I heard a lot about Chennai. There is this guy called Thulasi Venkoba who makes custom electric guitars..... . I spoke to him over the phone yesterday :tele: , the chap seemed to know his job really well ;) . He wasted an DD of 2,000/- as an advance to start with and the guitar would cost a total of 8,000 and Soft cover Rs 500 :think: . I told him I was looking for a Fender Stratocaster like guitar and he says " Son had made many in the past". What do you guys think guys :think: ? . once again i am looking for a Fender Stratocaster COPY guitar. and my Budget is about 7,000 to 8,000.

Thanks.
    Andy

:beer: :rock:

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

u will NEVER get a fender strat for that in india.......get a custom built from tulasi...some of the peeps have had itmade from him......and has quiet a reputaiton........

3. andystringer83

Thanks a lot dude. I appreciate it. :beer:

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

BTW lets wait for nebuchadnazzer......to speak.....he recently got a PRS copy made from him....and quite cool too.......
    i dont think u will get american pups in Under 10 k cz the if were to go for american pups.those alone wud come around $200....
    plus u really want an all single coil sound...
    i mean...the price will also depend on the kinda pups u have...usually ive seen strats with either S-S-H or S-H-S combi......and the most common one..S-S-S....
    so take all that into consideration for the price.

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Okie...Tulasi uses teak wood for guitar body, neck is maple and fingerboard has options of maple/rosewood...the pickups he will use are some generic Korean pickups...workmanship was pretty satisfactory for me.....as for how it sounds...I am not the correct person for feedback..I cant really claim to be knowledgable about sound quality...
    Wait for ronnieanand to reply..he will give you the dirt on every aspect:)..he has a Tulasi made LP

6. music addict

music addict New Member

Re:please advise for electric guitar

Get it from calcutta you will get almost Rs2000 lesser. Another advise for free: DO NOT GO TO "LEWIS AND SONS" to buy anything related to music.

7. Abhijeetbasu

Abhijeetbasu TABBER

well fender strat has maple and rose wood , a normal western wood product , you shouldnt worry about that so much , buy a guitar thats suits your budget , and i dont know much of ur taste but if you like blues, do go for a tremolo bar , if you like jazz do go for humbucker coils rather than normal (nicklealuminiumcobalt coils). they really make a difference over simple coils in high pitch. practice a lot with good electric strings ( may be u can get a cheap frender strings in banglore), i would comment to get a guitar as light as possible in weight, well thats where maple and rose woods comes into play, but also as it ages , it produces more warm notes, but i hope , if you save money and get the other essentials , join someone for a practise in BOSS GT6 , with time , that earthern indian teak will melt a much medoly as any other strat.

actually its the skin of ur fingers that matters a lot than the wood of the fret board.

8. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

exactly, the the ditortion pads out there are much cheaper than the same ones available in bombay.

9. andystringer83

hey guys
    Thanks a lot for the information. I really appreciate it. Ok this is my concern. Let say he completes makes the guitar and then I find something wrong with it, ie : it the fret board is not good, id it does not sound good or i don' t like the paint job etc. Point is. Should I go for this customer made Fender Stratocaster COPY ( which Thulasi Venkoba is making and it costs 8,000 RS/- ) or should I go to a guitar store in Chennai where they have guitars were I can "test it before buying" ?

10. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

if ur going to chennai anyways - y dont u jsut go and check out guitars - dont make a trip sepcially for buying a guitar worth 8k... or u can check out the guitar u like in bangalore, decide on which u want - enquire about price in chennai and buy it from chennai if its cheaper...

if ur going for the customn - im guessing u can get it all done on the phone and for some additional cost get it delivered to ur house...

btw - bangalore is much cheaper than bbay so u can imagine our state here....

11. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

What you talking about. Bangalore is twice as expensive as Bombay. My band buys most of its stuff from Bombay(if we do not get it from abroad)

You guys have a port,we have nothing.

12. deathdr_87

oh... ronnie pmed me the price of something - i think some delay (dd3) asking for the price in bbay and that was 1.2 k more expensive here... also i heard that u get much etter deals there from ppl who are right now in nlsiu...

13. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

Do you guys get the Tokai brand in India? They make some good guitars, unsure on the price though.

14. deathdr_87

i ahvent seen tokai here... doubt theyre available...

@rabi - where the fcuk have u been all this while?? - good to have u back!

15. rabi_sultan

been very busy. Got a new job (my first actually!) and i didn't want to get fired by looking at IGT throughout the day :D

I also won't post for another 2 weeks as I'm going to New York for company training. I've made the most of it by getting a Gibson Firebird Studio for a smashing $800 ! (second hand of course)

Will post pictures, review and details of that guitar in approximately two and a half weeks.

16. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

hmmm..

if wouldnt suggest a custom made guitar if ur budget is only arnd 8ks.
    i would probably want to choose and play the guitars..

if u are paying a lot..and the specs are high end..only then i would be comfortable with it,
    anyway..its ur choice in the end.
    and on top of that i noticed u arnt in the same place from where u are gettin ur guitar made.

17. rabi_sultan

considering the custom vs stock guitar argument for a beginner I would always recommend buying a stock guitar. Reason being is that at least you know that this is the standard thing amongst guitars for that price range/brand.

For instance if I bought a Gibson SG I would know that it can't replicate the sharp sounds of the Stratocaster, and not the full body tone of the Ibanez. By then deciding to go custom I would be able to say for instance take the LP body, neck/head of the Strat and load it up with two Ibanez pickups and I'll have a nifty looking guitar that looks like a cross of an LP and Strat but that is actually good enough to pass as a super metal guitar.

But asides from pickups there are also considerations to be made on the bridges, electrics to be used, type of wood being used for both body and neck, the neck joint, truss rods, style of tuners, climate that the guitar would live in, action, pickup heights, neck thickness, neck width, neck shape, body finish, fretboard finish, fretboard wood and more!

Going custom should really only be done (imo) when you KNOW EXACTLY what you want!

18. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ yay rabi agrees with me.

19. Jaspher

Jaspher New Member

Hi Andy,

I like to buy a custom made guitar. Can u pls give me Thulasi Venkoba contact number....My Email Id is j.jaspher@gmail.com Thanks in advance...

20. ajaycj

ajaycj New Member

dude..go to jazz musicals in cox town, bangalore.meet a guy called patrick.