Playing Guitar Without One?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by ericcartman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ericcartman

ericcartman New Member

Hey guys

So I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now and because I have to focus on studying, I'm forced to pack it up and not touch it anymore. I was wondering if anyone else went through the same thing. Is it possible for my playing to become sloppy or worse than before if I wouldn't touch it for well, a year? Could really use some advice.

Thanks!

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You mean when you are going to focus on studying, you are also gonna pack up on eating, sleeping, peeing-pooping, going out from home etc?

3. ericcartman

ericcartman New Member

No, just the things I love.
    Obviously you didn't read what I wrote properly. I said I'm forced to. Not that I'm gonna do it voluntarily. Have you got any advice or more smart-talk?

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If there is some one else forcing you to - you give the same SMART TALK that I gave you.
    If you are forcing yourself - god help you with your future life (because studies are frankly the lowest bothering concern in a human's life).

Your playing WILL become sloppy because your fingers will not move as fast and accurately as your brain desires. This is just like any other motor skill skill walking/running/throwing. If you don't exercise your neurons, they forget how to act.

Also your brain's ability itself will get blunt, because you are not exposing yourself to the music. So the brain will perhaps lose the ability to recognize the scales, tempo, etc. However, I believe this takes a very long time for this to happen. Perhaps a lifetime - so I wouldn't be worried about this aspect.

So the better thing would be to keep aside 30-60 minutes per week to not let your acquired skills decay away.
    I am sure you are not going to become a prisoner of war - where you won't have this luxury.

5. fena

fena New Member

amen to that man.. half an hour of guitar a day don't hurt nobody.. or you could do what i did back when i was into drums. i'd get up at around 12.30 in the night after my parents have gone to sleep. retrieve my drumsticks from their hiding place, along with my walkman, def leppard and deep purple cassette.. sit on the edge of my bed and air-drum till 3 am.