Play Any Scale AnyWhere

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by gogol, Feb 3, 2006.

1. gogol

gogol New Member

Hey...See...Most of the times when I see a guitarist at her early times, I find her struggling
    with playing scales!!! She usually learns a perticular scale at a time, like, A Major, C Minor
    etc. But you can easily turn her into pale and make her ears RED in fear, if you ask her
    to play that scale at a different place on the FretBoard! Even if you tell her the root note and
    where to find it, she struggles like hell!!! So I thought, " Lets put some tutorial for the
    begineers, so that they can PLAY ANY SCALE ANYWHERE ON THE FRETBOARD "! And this brings me to
    write this tutorial.

What Do you learn after completely reading this tutorial?
    Ans. As I said, you will be able to play ANY SCALE ANYWHERE ON THE FRETBOARD.

But before I start, I should make clear that EAR is all you will ever need to play music/sing
    music. If you can listen well, you can play well!

For simplicity and unpredictability, I'm only posting the procedures for MAJOR scales(ANY MAJOR
    SCALE). If you like it, I'll be posting the MINOR and PENTATONIC(The one mostly used in ROCKS)!

So here it goes:

For playing any MAJOR scale on the guitar, all you need to know is where you are starting your
    ROOT NOTE from!!! The String is what we are concerned of, Frets won't matter!!!

There are some general patterns for playing any scale from a perticular string! There are
    several ones to follow! I'm only giving the ones that I most generally use!

We are considering the guitar to be in standard tuning that is:
    1->High e
    2->B
    3->G
    4->D
    5->A
    6->Low E
    ==================
    String 6/5 Rule:(If you are starting to play from 6th or 5th string)
    ==================

4/3--------------------------------------(x-1)--(x+1)--(x+2)--
    5/4-----------------(x-1)--(x)--(x+2)-----------------
    6/5--(x)--(x+2)-----------------------------------

Here (x) represent the fret where you start playing. So if you start from 5th fret,
    (x+2) is 7th fret and (x-1) is 4th fret. If you start from 6th string follow strings
    on the left of the oblique("/") sign, and if you start from 5th string, follow the
    strings on the right of the oblique sign.

So if you start from 5th fret sixth string, the pattern would look like:

4-----------------------------(4)--(6)--(7)---
    5-------------(4)--(5)--(7)----------------
    6--(5)--(7)--------------------------------

Oked? Can we proceed to the next pattern? Yes? oked then let's go!

===================
    String 4 Rule:
    ===================

2------------------------------------(x)--(x+2)--(x+3)--
    3----------------(x-1)--(x)--(x+2)---------------
    4--(x)--(x+2)---------------------------------

So if you start from 5th fret 4th string, you would play the following:

2------------------------------(5)--(7)--(8)---
    3-------------(4)--(5)--(7)----------------
    4--(5)--(7)--------------------------------

===================
    String 3 Rule:
    ===================

1---------------------------------------(x)--(x+2)--(x+3)--
    2-----------------(x)--(x+1)--(x+3)---------------
    3--(x)--(x+2)---------------------------------

So if you start from 5th fret 3th string, you would play the following:

1-----------------------------(5)--(7)--(8)---
    2-------------(5)--(6)--(8)----------------
    3--(5)--(7)--------------------------------

So lets move on to the last one!!!

===================
    String 2 Rule:
    ===================

1----------------(x-1)--(x)--(x+2)--(x+4)--(x+6)--(x+7)---------
    2--(x)--(x+2)------------------------------------------------

So if you start from 5th fret 2th string, you would play the following:

1-------------(4)--(5)--(7)--(9)--(11)--(12)----------
    2--(5)--(7)-------------------------------------------

That's It!!! You've learnt all the MAJOR Scales!!!HOW??? Ok let's test!!!

Can u play the MAJOR scale starting from fret 7 string 3???
    Hell Ya!!! Follow pattern "String 3 rule and replace x by 7!!! And you played the
    D MAJOR scale!!!

Practice just 3 days, 1 hour a day, and you won't have to look back to this tutorial;
    You'll have all of these in you Brain!!!

And for the last treat, lets give you a pattern that starts from 6th string and follows
    down to 1st string while playing 2 consecutive octaves!!!

So here it is:

1------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(x-1)-(x)-
    2------------------------------------------------------------------------------(x)-(x+2)-----------
    3--------------------------------------------------------(x-1)-(x+1)-(x+2)---------------------
    4----------------------------------(x-1)-(x+1)-(x+2)---------------------------------------
    5---------------(x-1)-(x)-(x+2)---------------------------------------------------------
    6--(x)-(x+2)-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you start from 5th fret and 6th string i.e., a G MAJOR scale, you'll probably play
    the following:

1--------------------------------------------------------------------------(4)-(5)-
    2----------------------------------------------------------------(5)-(7)-----------
    3----------------------------------------------(4)-(6)-(7)-------------------------
    4----------------------------(4)-(6)-(7)-------------------------------------------
    5------------(4)-(5)-(7)-----------------------------------------------------------
    6--(5)-(7)-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha!!! Nice, isn't it???

You might be wondering what is a root note???(the beginners might not know)
    A root note is the note that give the name to your scale; Like in A MAJOR scale, your
    root note is A...Oked?

A tip:
    ======
    Dedicate a finger to a perticular fret, and you'll play things easily! Like, while playing
    the 2-octave pattern above, place your fore finger at 4th fret, middle finger at 5th fret,
    and so one...And play those frets only with those fingers. Oked??? This might help!!!

So that was all for now!!!
    If you find it useful, just find a second to drop some replies!
    And if a thread like this exists anywhere else in IGT, feel free to delete this one!!!
    I checked most threads and didn't find any like this...so I posted this one! Oked???

Bye and Keep Rocking,
    Ankur

2. AjaySa

AjaySa New Member

Scales

Hi, Thanks for the lesson...really cool.
    Will this work for all scales,blues included?

3. desidude01

desidude01 Drummerboy

That's not the G Ionian scale. Check again. This lesson doesn't seem much correct. But I might be wrong.

4. desidude01

desidude01 Drummerboy

And you should check the forum before posting......the exact same thing has already been posted on this forum........!!

5. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

the basics for making major or minor scales is the note intervals,
    learning through this complicated tricks and rules will eventually get one confused,

a major scale is like this-root-whole-whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half

on a guitar fretboard.if u take the root note f on the first fret of the first string,then u'll take the next note on the third fret, because a whole interval is of two frets and a half interval is of 1 fret.so the first fret and the third fret are at a whole distance from each other.

the minor is like this,
    root-whole-half-whole-whole-half-whole-whole.

start from any fret,and u have a major or minor scale.
    now how to use it anywhere,it's simple .the first string is tuned to the 5th fret of the second string.the second is tuned to the fourth fret of the third and so on.
    so playing 5th fret of second string or the first string open is the same thing similarily playing the 6th fret of second and 1st fret of the first string.is the same thing.
    so use a little brain and practice and u can use this anywhere on the fretboard.

6. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

now the notes
    the basic notes are
    A B C D E F G

now all the notes here lie at whole distances from each other except for B-C and E-F.
    that means if A is on the first fret then B will be on the third fret but C will lie on the fourth fret.
    that means B and C are at half distance from each other.or they lie adjacent to each other.
    similarily E and F are at half distances, if E will be on the fifth fret then F will be on the sixth.
    rest all the notes are at whole distances from each other.

now we talk about sharp and flats.

we saw that if the first fret is an A note then the third fret will be a B note
    but what about the second fret??
    here sharps and flat come into the scene.
    the second fret will be called an A#(A sharp) or Bb(B flat) .
    so a sharp note is the one which is adjacent to its orignal note towards the sound whole.
    or for better understanding say towards the progression of the notes i.e.(ABCDEFG)
    and an adjacent note in the reverse progression or away from the sound hole.
    is called a flat

so now why B# and E# do not exist(or are not called so)

we live in a world of boundations, we r not technically wrong in saying B# and E# but for obvious reasons they are called the C and F notes respectively.
    if u will rewind through what we read above. if we go one fret from E it will be the F note , so the F note and E # are the same thing.

calling a note E# and B#,leads to confusions so just call them F and C
    similarily for the same reason Fb and Cb do not exist,
    if u do not understand ,go through this once more, have a look at ur guitar, use ur brain,
    still if u have probs i'm always there.

7. desidude01

desidude01 Drummerboy

Hats off to you bro....excellent explanation....!!

8. Zeifer

Zeifer New Member

Hey guys, I'm new here, and from the U.S., but I found this forum to be interesting, so I hope I can bring something useful in my first post.

This attached image shows a visual look at saurabhrocks' note explanation.

Attached Files:

9. AtoZ

AtoZ New Member

Right. This is extended A.
    Tho, may be the lesson is correct, and as it works on the basic interpretation of Tone, Tone, Semitone, Tone (or the whole, whole, half thing). However I have not gone till the end.