Planning for a second guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Sayanta, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Sayanta

Sayanta New Member

hello everyone,

i am from kolkata. i am playing guitar for almost 1.5 years. i don't get much time for practicing due to heavy office schedule(so i play on weekends). i won't say i am a very good player but my purpose gets solved with my skill (still not very proficient with barre chords. but i can play alongside the songs i love to sing.). i have a basic signature acoustic guitar which i bought for around 2.5k bucks. but now i am looking for another a little better guitar. i have put my sight on yamaha f310 which the shop is saying around 7500rs. should i go for it or wait for a lil and buy something like fg700. as the reviews are great for both these guitars but some also say that fg700 will last longer. please help me(and few more points). and if anyone from kolkata can suggest me a place where i can get them cheaper i will be thankful (i checked the price at kalighat signature shop and braganza). also u may suggest some other guitars of similar price range. i could not find a similar thread so started a new. if u know a similar thread and provide me a link that will also be helpful.

P.S. i bought my first guitar with my first months salary. :)

Thanks -- Sayanta

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

U already have an acoustic guitar. Why buy another one when it does the work for u.

If i were u i wud save up and go for a 12string acoustic. Since the sound is much fuller as compared to 6 string acoustic and there wud definitely be a learning curve for you.

There is an option of electric guitar as well. But cost is involved. If strumming is what u like and not planning to join any band and all and simply play for urself then Acoustic is a best option but 12String wud be interesting. Do consider it.

Yamaha F310 is a great guitar. Dont know the current price.
    Check out Walden Hawthrone 420. Around 9.5k.

3. Sayanta

Sayanta New Member

ok ok, 12 string is an option which i never thought about. and if i join a band, i want to join as a singer,(though i am little older at 25 yrs to suit in a young men's group) not as a guitarist. so its a no to electric guitar. and i love the the sound of good acoustic guitars. even i might check a nylon string and try some finger picking. so you have opened my option with 12string. but have no idea about their price. :(

4. mymusicmyguitar

Look a 12string cheap guitar will definitely not be a good option. Coz for a 12 string to be playable u need really good setup on the guitar with a great action...Taylor brand is really famous for making good 12 string guitars. But they are way too costly. But you can check out the prices online or in shops They are worth the investment and will last for a lifetime.....There are a few others in the price range of 14 - 15k which are good too. Check out at furtados..Dont buy a 12 string granada brand guitar.

By the way finger picking can be done on a normal acoustic as well..U dont specifically need a nylon string guitar. If u r fond of collecting guitars then its worth investing in similar stuff...But not otherwise..but thats just my opinion...Choice is urs...

5. Sayanta

Sayanta New Member

you are probably right but after playing my friends f310 i feel that my signature is a little hard playing. the action is higher. and the sound is also not up to that mark. the fretboard also seems like little bent. so wanted to buy a new one. 12 string is something i always dreamed since i saw the hotel california video(isn't that a 12 string one). but i feel i need to master this instrument a lot before i go and buy a 12 string. actually i dont have enough confidence to go for a 12 string at this moment. price wont be that much of a problem if i like that instrument. :p. i can save every single coin for next 6 months 2 get that.
    Any more advices?

6. Vader

Vader New Member

i wouldnt suggest anyone not proficient withh barre chords to move to a twelve string
    both are great guitars
    yamaha fg720 is even better
    fg 730 is not value for money
    my advice is upgrade ur acoustic
    six string
    then later think of 12 string
    in ur case go for f310

7. mymusicmyguitar

my friend has a 12string acoustic and guess Wat he started learnin guitar on tat. And u shud see him strumming. Simply Awesome. So definitely there will b a learnin curve as i mentioned earlier. But yes if u r not convinced u can definitely Go for Yamaha. By the way check out fender acoustic too

8. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

The two brands I lile most are : Fender (6k and above) and Washburn (7k and above). Washburn is too high on cost, Fenders are the best value for mpney. They sound so rich compared to others. Never tried a yamaha. - ....Aria guitars have a very rich sound too.Nylon strings sound very soft, buy if you like that sound. Hammer on, pull offs and bends are also very easy on them, since they don't hurt your finger.

9. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

for strumming normal songs nylon strings aren't that preferable. if you want to get into fingerpicking just grow your nails a bit and practie on your 6 string steel string. either way i personally wouldnt recommend a 12 string either but consider getting a good quality guitar like ^ horsemouth suggested - fender or washburn are best. yamaha is good too but not quite there.

10. satanscoi

satanscoi New Member

welcome to satanic music ....

11. Sayanta

Sayanta New Member

thanks to everyone for their valuable suggestions.
    i tried finger picking with my nails. but it feels uncomfortable. isn't it possible with false nails(the kind of nails used for playing hawaian guitars)? and can anyone tell me where i can find washburn guitars in kolkata?

12. Sayanta

Sayanta New Member

And now what is this satanic music?

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Its when daft humans believe that by doing certain things - they get closer to satan, and they can defy god/society etc.

Music being one of those things ...

14. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

you'll get used to it, it took me a couple of weeks to master it too. just keep them a tiny bit longer over the tip of your finger which grips the string when you strike it. it has to be the perfect length and shape so it'll take time to just get that first..keep experimenting for a bit and you'll hit the sweet spot.