Plagiarism

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by nishantsaran, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nishantsaran

nishantsaran New Member

Hi Folks,

All of us who post the chords and lead of different songs here on IGT and elsewhere, make lots of efforts and spend considerable time to make it easy for others to play those songs.

They do this not to earn some laurels or kudos, but with a simple desire to let others lovers of music know how to play some beautiful songs.

They donot desire any thing in return, but they sincerely do hope that people donot simply copy and paste Tabs and Chords that they spent hours figuring out and post here on this forum and pass it as their own.

I understand that on a public forum such as this, monitoring of each and every post is not possible, however of we are able to detect some issue of such blatant plagiarism, it must be strongly discouraged.

Recently one of the members of this forum, copied and pasted a lot of tabs and chords form different sources (including mine..which i had already posted on IGT) and tried to pass them as his own.

I sincerly hope that the moderators if and when informed about this unprofessional act would take down these posts or modify them so as to honour the hard work done by others in tabbing them.

More over i suggest that we have a "Report Plagiarism Forum" where such issues can be raised and copying discouraged.

Hope we are able to sustain the Spirit of Music and stop any more acts of plagiarism. :nw:

Regards

Nishant

2. ^^ gr8 post

3. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

truly . good thought

4. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Excatly how do you suggest we put this in action? Just about anyone can claim the tabs to be his original work how do we know who is right? Moreover it quite possible for two people to come with the same pattern of tablature.

The only thing we can do is to request members to give credit to the original tabber.

5. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Let me point out.. THis happened with Two of my tabs here on IGT itself.. Please do Somthing about this..

6. nishantsaran

nishantsaran New Member

Hi Lord Neo,

We can setup a sticky post, where in ppl if they find that someone is "stealing" their tabs and posting it as their own and gives sufficient proof of the same then this post be either taken off or changes be made so that the original person who tabbed it gets the credits.

If someone wants to just copy and paste stuff to earn more IGT points...then that should be seriously discouraged...

i will give you the example that happened with me.

Please refer to this URL about chords of Veer Zaara posted on 1st Nov, 2004 by raj_aryan

https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=3540

and this one posted by myself on October 4th (almost a month earlier)

https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=3058

it has a link to https://feanor.rediffblogs.com/2004_03_10_feanor_archive.html#1096826766

which is my home page where i used to put up all the chords, but not any more as i find IGT much better place to put up tabs and chords.

If you compare the chords and the format of all the three you would find them to be perfectly identical... and since the posts that I made are almost a month older, goes on to prove that mine is the original post...and Mr. raj_aryan is just copying my tabs.

The same is true for Chords for Aksar (posted by me way back) at https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=2153

it has been reposted by Mr. raj_aryan at https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=3542

if you notice that the words (best part of the song) even those have been copied

I request you that being the moderator, you would take appropriate action and ask him to give the rightful person due credit.

It is very disappointing and demotivating for a person to see his hard work being plagiarized and being passed off as someone's own work at this wonderful forum.

Regards

nishantsaran :shock:

7. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Nishant, we understand that this troubles you and we will definitely will look into it. But i would also like to add that its next to impossible for anyone to judge or prove who the original poster is for eg: when you said you posted the tabs before him and that makes you the original tabber, if we go with this it would mean whoever posts an tab first on the net is automatically declared the original tabber...does that sound right to you?

Instead, we suggest everyone give a bad reputation to the culprits, if they do not give due credit to the original tabber.

8. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

well i second nishant cause i have seen ray_aryans tabs or chords, and they are excat same as i have seen tabs on the other sites. so i think he is copying and pasting. i mean if it was only one or two tabs then it could have been a coincedence but dude i have seen so many of his songs that were taken out of other sites and posted here under his name. is that also a coincedence?

9. nishantsaran

nishantsaran New Member

Neo, thanks for your concern

I understand that Tabs donot belong to any one, and many ppl can / will come up with the same chord patterns, all i am saying is that if it is blatant copy pasting then it should be curbed.

There are many older guitar sites like OLGA, in which ppl do build upon others post but give due credit... as so many ppl are reporting that raj_aryan is indeed just copy pasting stuff.

Thanks for your concern again,
    Hope in future things like these dont happen

Regards

nishant

10. shit nishant.....
    i checked the tabs of aksar .....and compared them both even the small nuances where u havent spaced properly.......man that raj aryan guy has copypasted ur stuff ditto ......man and i got a compliment from that guy on the intro to the song im workin on..hope he doesnt copy that too.....on the other hand hes so dumb...he didnt even alter it to make it look like its his.....boy hes a cheat and hes dumb...wow what a combination.hahaha

11. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

In the Lucky ali - Kitne Haseen Zindagi chrods of mine.. I have said I will work out the part in one weeks time or somethign.. This i did for one of my friend on a older Yahoo group.. I see the same chords here saying .. Chords BY :-------------

LOL..

12. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

I have instructed raj_aryan to correct the posts and he said he will do the needful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.