Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by esgallindeion, Nov 27, 2003.

1. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Great band, aren't they? The kings of slow, soft, psychedelic rock music.

Dark Side of The Moon, The Wall are fabulous albums. Songs from other albums such as Coming Back To Life from The Division Bell are also very good. The duo of Waters and Guilmore along with Wright and Mason have done many wonders, out of which Another Brick In The Wall, Comfortably Numb, Time, Money, Hey You are some of the most prominent.

Anyone else likes this band?

2. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

hi there,

we can express our likes and dislikes freely here, can't we?

i've heard all the tracks you mention and some more... must say i really don't like them, don't know why but i just don't like their sound which is also always very typical. i know tracks like comfortably numb, another brick in the wall, crazy diamond and money etc are ranked one of all-time rock-n-roll greatest hits, yet i can't get to appreciate them much.

btw, do u like led zeppelin? i'm a big led zep fan... i've read somewhere that there are many fans loyal both to floyd and zep cuz they find some connections in their music. i don't think i ever felt that way except perhaps in some of their blues tracks... so what's ur take on zeppelin?

cheers!

3. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Lol...I must say, I admire you for your honesty. :beer: I like led Zep and Pink Floyd both...I guess Im one of those....:shock:

4. esgallindeion

Led and Pink Floyd?

Both are great bands... defining bands of their respective genre with great vocalists and guitarists. I'd say Led Zep get a bonus point for having a better drummer.

Their music isn't quite alike, imo. I prefer Led Zeppelin and some of my fav tracks are Kashmir, Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog, No Quarter, Ramble On, Battle of Evermore, Misty Mountain Hop, Rock n Roll etc...

5. alli

alli The Best Ever

i love pink floyd ! ...they help u relax on a not so good day .. even if they were singing something not so optimistic..
    for me a band is as great as it can make me connect with them and feel like i know what they're singing ..

yes .if u'll think im talking blah.... nevermind .

and if u know what im talking bout .... then.....obviously u know wht im talking bout ..

merci.

led is good too.... hey ... anyone here like cobain ?????
    heh...

6. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

and i add some more to my fav led zep tracks - achilles last stand, dazed and confused, friends (oh i just love this ancient sound), heartbreaker, tangerine, and yet many many more...

perhaps people don't know that like stairway is one of the definitive guitar songs, moby dick is perhaps the equivalent drum solo... amazing, you must hear to believe what bonzo the drummer could do!

7. esgallindeion

All those tracks u mentioned are quite good, prash.

Alli, I'm not a huge Nirvana fan (I never liked them as much as Led Zep or Pink Floyd) but Cobain did make some beautiful music before he... aah... "burnt out".

8. Taj

Taj New Member

I've pasted some Pink Floyd songs in the English Tab sec, check them out !
    :)

9. alli

alli The Best Ever

merci

10. esgallindeion

They're good... If I get time I'll tab the solo of comfortably numb... Love that one.

11. Taj

Taj New Member

yeah here it is m8 my friend has already tabed it check thiz out :

solo 1

---14vvvvvv-----12-14>15>14------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------15>17vvvvvvvvvv>15--15-14--------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------14----------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------14\12vvvvvv---
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--14>12--14>(15)>14----------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------15>17---------15--14----------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------14------------------/12vvvvvv---
    -------------------------------------------------14\12--11--9--7-------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------
    ---11--------------11\9---9\7vvvvv----9>7------7---9---11>12---
    ----------14--12----------------------------9------------------

---15-14-12---------------------------------------------------
    ------------15-12---------------------------------------------
    ------------------12------------------------------------------
    ---------------------12vvvvvvvv--10\9vvvvvvv---10\9\7vvvvv----
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------

v-- strike note
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    -11>(12)vvvvvvvv--9>(11)===(11)==>9>7----------------------
    ---------------------------------------7/9\7vvvvvvvvvvv\---

:)

12. Taj

Taj New Member

ive pasted the whole song check it out in the ENG tab section
    :cool:

13. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Pink Floyd anyone?

Everybody here seems 2 love PF.Well here's a dead fan of PF.So...to all my fellow floydians...if you ever need any [I MEAN ANY!!!!]...lyrics/tabs/chords/Bio/Wallpapers/Pics/Facts of Floyd just drop a mail at: pink67@rediffmail.com

Pink Floyd was named after two minor blues musicians...Pink Anderson and "Deeper Boy" Floyd Council.The name was suggested by Roger "Syd" Barrett in 1967. Before that they tried a lot of names such as The Abdabds,The screaming Abdabds,Sigma Six etc. But when Bob Cash left the band the band finally continued with 4 members...Barrett,Waters,Mason and Wright. In 1967 when barret retired as a nervous breakdown...in came his friend David Gilmore. And since then they rocked on before in 1983...Waters left the band with a mental ego clash with wright for "Who's the best composer...!!!!"....they fell apart...rejoined again to release "A momentary lapse of reason" [1987]...and "Division Bell" [1994]...without Waters...frankly speaking...real floydians didn't [even today!!!!] like those albums...just not for waters wasn't there...but ......as floyd said.."...Together we stand...divided we fall"...the creation/compositions/lyrics/the psychic effects are not that creative as they used to be in 1967-1979. In 2002 David Gilmore officially said.."Our tank is empty.."....and a decade ends I think...!!!

14. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Personally I don't think that the "gilmore" albums were bad. I liked AMLOR and Division Bell a lot. I hated Final Cut. Waters was an egomaniac.
    And I do like their old stuff, like meddle, SFOS, More etc. probably more than their later stuff

15. gautam_njoy

gautam_njoy New Member

hey pink floyd is good.. but i dont knw why but i prefer metallica...
    some excellant songs like nothing else matters,unforgiven(1 & 2),One, etc r juz mind blowing...
    i agree pink floyd's confortably numb and another brick in the wall is too good.. but i dont like all songs of theirs.. and led zeppelin is amazing.. i have heard many of theirs..
    BUt i prefer metallica comparatively.. is it dat i m a bit immature in it that i dont like pink floyd and led more than metallica or r there others who have the same thinking as mine

16. esgallindeion

well... I must say its hard to compare pink floyd with metallica. Both bands are totally different from each other and do not have much similarities in their music style. Both are greats in their respective genres (NOTE: When I mention metallica, I'm talking about the band till the early 90s) and have contributed a lot to music lovers like me.

17. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

In my opinion, Led Zep and Metallica are great bands. But Floyd and Beatles are in a class of their own. They are epic bands. You must listen to a lot of their not-so-popular songs to really guage their musical capabilities. The range of music that Floyd and Beatles have produced is unparalleled.
    A band that can come up with tracks like "Yellow submarine" and "When I'm 64" and at the same time "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" and "revolution" is just amazing. Same goes for floyd, with tracks like Cymbaline, Scarecrow, Julia dream etc. and later tracks like shine, us and them, coming back to life etc.
    Has anyone heard "Whats the new Mary Jane" by Beatles?