Pickups for Ibanez S470DX: Any Suggestions

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by fictional_real, Jan 13, 2007.

1. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

https://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Ibanez/S470DX/10/1

You might find somwething intresting there.. but take the advice like a pinch of Salt... I am not too familar with Dimarzios.... but a Fred or PAF pro would work well.. You can also try something from the Duncan line.. but you would hae a bit of a problem installing duncan on a Ibanez, due to the way Ibanez are routed for there pickups... Are you looking for HIGH out put pickups are medium?
    Cheers

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Seymour Duncan JB and a Seymour Duncan Jazz

total cost - 9k

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Good choice Laney.. ... I use a JB its a fantastic pick up.. but many say it is thin, & trebely which actualy it is not.... So depending on Fictional's tone prefrence...

5. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

i personally love JBs....altho i prefer a '59 to a Jazz....but most ppl dont...so thats why i said Jazz...very few ppl i know like the tone of a 59

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Laney it is actualy the opposite.. Most people get scared to dop a Jazz in thier guitars.. I guess it is the name... Infact the 59 is DUNCAN's Second most popular pickup in terms of sales.. It is a Great pickup... but in the neck I prefer the JAZZ. A good forum memeber in the Seymourduncan foruum says the 59 and Jazz are similar in tone... BUT the Jazz has a little more treble and little less Bass then the 59...
    If you want a more Classic tone Go for the 59... But with the JB the Jazz matches better.

7. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

oh cool...thanks for the heads up....cus my next guitar has to have a JB and a 59 or jazz

8. fictional_real

Hi guys, Thanks for your valuable comments. I am not expecting a fantastic TONE since i got a low end marshall and GNX1 so it actually wont sound even if i spend a lot for pickups.

I would definitely love a pickup which is sensitive (like when you do hammer or pull off, the note should be heard.) I have noticed that with this Powersound pickup suppose i pull off over 4 notes they sound really weak and sometimes only 1 or 2 notes sound.

DMF has JB pickups, they are good, extremely cool if you want to play metal stuff. I would definitely love higher output pickups.

@jocelyn - Thanks for the harmony link btw the last review was written by me. :)

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

In the Dimarzio camp, you can try the Norton/Breed neck/Virtual Hot PAF for the bridge slot.All are pretty good & versatile pickups, you wont go wrong with them.Their outputs decrease in that order.
    For the neck, you might want to go lower output.Try the PAF Pro(medium o/p)/Virtual PAF(low o/p) and for higher output, the Air Norton.

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

u wanna route the guitar for actives? if u dont mind check out some EMGS

11. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Why dont you check out the Bill Lawrence L500XL, i have heard only good things about the pickup.

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Barenuckle FTW!!!!

13. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^^ I've heard about Bareknuckle pickups - the Warpigs I think and they're supposed to be quite good.

14. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^And UBERCOSTLY inclding Exice duty and stuff.

@chintan Which L500Xl u tokin bout the BLusa or the Wilde ones......ask RonnieAnand hes used one of em me thinks.

15. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

ok i am actually talking about the one that Bill and Becky sell. The general consensus all over is that the ones that this old couple sells are way better than the BilLawrenceUsa one. Apparently the latter has severe feedback problems etc. If i am not wrong ronnie has played only the BLusa pickup and going by the reviews those pickups are really bad(in comparison to the Bill and Becky pup)

16. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

why hasnt anyone suggested an EMG with the 18v mod yet ???

17. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

cus routing a hole in a SZ isnt something id do.....they are super guitars and can do awesome with passives (SDs...)...and EMG Hzs are just not worth te money

18. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Hmm yea I guess you are correct as the body of the S is quite thin anywayz!!

A Dimebucker or JB/59 would sound awesome and as for the Dmarzio camp Nothing can beat the ToneZone/Paf Pro combo !

19. fictional_real

Yes, S guitar body is quite thin. However, the tone i get is quite decently heavy. Grilling a hole in it would be definitely no-no. Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll definitely try for dmarzios. I'll research more on others too.

Any other suggestions are welcome too. :)

20. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

@Devil : Dude some crazy guy on the ESP forums just did a 27V mod.....he saids its killer...u heard about any such thing?