Pickup upgrades.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by d_ist_urb_ed, Feb 21, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

No chances or risks. It's something common that a lot of guitarists do. There's nothing wrong in it. And a manufacturer need not show a pride in saying that he connect all the pickup positions. That's even a simple radio mechanic would do. When manufacturers make claims about dead spots, they refer to the dead spots in the necks. Blackmore uses a large CBS headstock, to lessen / remove the deadspots in his strats.

Yep, you were right when you refered to the dead spot with the 5 way pickup switching but you confused yourself when you said that manufacturers take pride in saying that their guitars dont have dead spots. Two different things all together. I guess you got this.

2. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

wat..mark knoplfer uses EMGs ???...
    correct me if im wrong ..but wasnt he a fender user all the time ..when did he ever use EMGS !!!...he uses a fender 3 single coil strat I think..

even david gilmour ..i neva knew he used EMGs ..woah im real suprised !!!/..wat EMGs does he use ???....isnt he also a fender boy ??..

but u gotta agree...EMGs are best when playin metal...more of ..they were made for metal and nothin else in mind ..

and chitan..the dead spots you are talkin about is actually a problem on the guitar.. wat ronnie and abhijith are talkin about is a techique which was used by great players like eddie van halen

the dead spots or blank spots are simply positions of the pickup switch which are not connected ...tht is ...no pickup is connected to that position of the toggle switch..now wen you toggle the pickup switch and pass thorugh this unconnected postion ..there will be a pause ..a small gap before you switch on to the next pickup switch where the notes you played ring again ..

like ..you can keep switchin from a blank position and pickup position and it will give u a nice effect ...pause-note-pause-note kinda thing ...try to get some live evh videos ..he does that a lot !... hope you got it ..!..

ronnie ..y dont u use a volume pedal or expression pedal...u can create the same effect wit dem.. but u need to have strong feet...but its much easier than desolderin and resolderin nal !

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Dude. EMGs are not meant for only Metal. Since their pickups have very high output it can give a lot of crunch and drive while drive the amps or distortion boxes or racks and that's the reason it's used for Metal. You can happily plays Blues Rock and Everything with it. And EMGs are not only 81s and 85s. Check out the EMG Dave Gilmour set which is about $330 and it's a set of 3 single coil pickups. EMGs make humbuckers, single coils and also passive pickups and Acoustic Pickups. They are just a pickup manufacturer for guitar and they are not a For Heavy Metal Only pickup company.

With a Volume Pedal, it's 1000% impossible to get those kind of volume ripples which you can get with that dead pickup possition. First of all the volume pedal has a Potentiometer which when turned has a taper of lograthmic or linear. And with this taper happening, it's impossible to do it by humans maybe a robot can be made to do that and that's not practical. With a dead spot, you can get the volume to an instant zero without any kind of taper happening and that's how you can get those ripples.

4. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

@Satchattack: Gilmour uses a signature Strat equipped with EMG singlecoils..you can buy his set on the EMG website as well! Knopfler uses a Suhr custom Strat equipped with EMG singles. Gary Moore uses a Heritage LP with EMG 85s.

5. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

you for forgot Steve Lukather from that list..:mad:

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

No I didn't:)

7. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Wow, this is a lot of information to process.....but i think i get the gist....
    @dennis, lottery nahi, social security number lag gayi, now i can get a music123.com card :grin: and pay off in installments!!

8. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@sharath- hehehehe, sahi hai
    Waisai, i would suggest ki buy only one pup, since your requirement is for a metal sound. So just get a single EMG 81 and put it on the bridge. Kyun ekdam se 3 EMG khareed raha hai. A single EMG should be gud enuf for your metal requirements.

9. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^:grin: Wise advice, i guess i was going all hyper, i still might buy the three but i'll try to restrict myself to one, rapidly acquiring GAS.......

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Pudin Hara khareed le!!

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Is tarah ki GAS ka koi ilaaj nahi :eek::