Pickup Selector For Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I installed a new pickup selector switch for my Tulasi made Les Paul Super Fake. It has three positions. At one end it selects the bridge humbucker and in the other it selects a neck humbucker. In the centre position it selects both the pickups but it sounds almost like the neck is being played. In the switch the centre position is internally connected to both the points, so there's no other connection posible.

I am looking for Les Paul compatible three way switch where at the first position I can select the bridge humbucker and in the other position I can select the neck humbucker and in the middle position I can select the single coil tap of the neck humbucker. Does any one of know of any Les Paul switch available like this. Any part numbers or links would be appreciated. No issues about the cost. I just need the switch. I dont want to drill extra holes to accomodate a different switch for coil splits which many of the Les Pauls do.

Help please :nw: :nw: :nw:

2. shak

shak Harrr!

i have pot switches on my les paul .. what it does is, the main selector gives me neck/neck+bridge/bridge poistions ... but at bridge i have a pot swtich for the coil tap .. and same for the neck .. so actually i have 3 swriches on my les paul .. one 3 way and 2 two way
    the pot swithces are also called push/pull .. so you can use the term to find your self some from the market .
    the best thing about these swithces is that you dont need to drill any holes..they will install on your existing volume or tone drills ...

here is a link for the les paul style long shafted push/pull switch pot. (linear)
    https://www.electronicsurplus.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=78432

3. ronnieanand

I have only volume control and no tone control. This was done as per my request. I dont want to use Push Pull POT switches. I prefer the regular Les Paul styling pickup selector but having three independent switching positions. Do you have something like that.

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

hey ronnie...this is what i was telling you earlier about push-pull pots..I think you can replace your single volume switch with a push-pull pot...so you can have 6 pickup selections..

5. ronnieanand

No push pulls. Just plain three way switch for Les Paul :eek::

6. shak

shak Harrr!

i'll see what i can do

7. shak

shak Harrr!

aah got it!!!
    you know those custom lp's like black beauty? .. they have three pickups isnt it? ... but ONE standard three way toggle! ... so i think (i am not very sharp on electronics keep in mind) .. u can use the two bridge and treble pickups .. and for the third one you can use the tapped coil! the three way toggle will give you 6 lugs .. but now we will need to see if we can actually use these lugs to make a working switching configuration that you want .. hmm ..
    have a look tho
    https://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-1228.html

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey i got two for you from SD...I think these could be useful...though I dunno what the different positions are....

Attached Files:

9. shak

shak Harrr!

yup will work .. it is DPDT switch so you can ...do
    1: (tap) single coil one hot (neck)
    2: to the jack
    3: leave it
    4: (tap) single coil two hot (neck)
    5: to the jack
    6: bridge hot

OPEN THE IMAGE IN THE SECOND WINDOW AND REFFER TO THAT DURING THE FOLLOWING EXPLANATIONS

at position one ... both 1-2, and 4-5 will work so the jack will get input from lug 2 and 5 and single taps one and two (from lug 1 and 4) .. thus whole neck pickup will work

at position two ... both 2-3 and 4-5 will work .. the 3 is empty so there will be no signal goin to the jack from lug 3 but 4-5 will work and only one single tap will send signal to jack through lug 5 .. i.e from neck tap

at position 3, 2-3 and 5-6 will work .. again lug 3 wont send any signal since 3 is empty .. 5-6 will work and since bridge is on lug 6 hence that signal will be sent to jack through lug 5 .. t
    so .. the configuration is neck/coil tap neck/ bridge :) :)

took me 15 minutes to sort this out .. now you need to find yourself a 6 lug 3 way swtich

10. shak

shak Harrr!

@nebu: both of the diagrams use the push pull pots which ronnoe doesnt want for some reason :S

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

hey..I think it says dpdt OR push-pull..din try to understand it:eek::..looked useful so just posted it:)

12. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

as for me ......there is only push pull switches for pickups!........cant get what ronnie wants there!:confused:

13. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

He wants something like the John Petrucci pickup split but selecting only the neck split. I know of 5 way super wsitches at SteMac that can do this stuff (btw Ronnie do you have 4 conductor pickups?) but no 3 way toggles for it

14. ronnieanand

Both my pickups are four conductor pickups, so it's a go-go from the pickup side for splitting. Only the switch is a problem. I heard that Gibson has a switch like this introduced in their newest Les Paul range but I dont have info. Any links.

15. shak

shak Harrr!

what about my idea? .. i think that will work!

16. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

It can't be done with the 3-way regular switch. You will need to install another switch for this purpose (in addition to the 3-way) or go the regualr push-pull method.

17. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

18. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Best way is write a mail to Dimarzio tech, they will send a wonderful full-colour diagram of any config you want immediately.. their tech support is real good and prompt..

19. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ronnie with three posiont switch that you have you will only be able to get BRIDGE- BRIDGE+NECK- NECK. You can get the middle postion to BRIDGE+NECK SPLIT, but then your NECK positon will also be split. This problem you are facing with your neck overpowering your bridge is a normal problem, faced when using a neck pick up that is not calibrated for to match the bridge. This is a problem many people face when the they put a Duncan JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. What Dimarzio pups are you using? you got a NOrton in the bridge right.