pickup change on my Ibanez GRG170DX

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mad_spartan, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

hey guys
    posting after a long time. and i have a question to ask.
    should i replace the bridge pickup on my Ibanez GRG170DX with a DiMarzio X2N?
    i know its a good pickup. but is it worth putting in my ibanez?
    if i change both the pickups, it will cost as much as my guitar lol
    so worth the upgrade? i am gonna change only the bridge pickup for now.

2. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

yeah bro...........u will notice the diff as soon as u plug in..........and the neck will probly sound really weak afterwards..........

3. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

so you recommend putting the pickup on a low end guitar like mine?

4. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

dude i put EMG 81's on my 9k GB&A elec................

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Why do you want to replace it? What's your current rig?

6. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

wow. EMG 81s in both the positions? how much did it cost you? and are you satisfied with the change?

7. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

i want to replace it because the stock pickups are uber noisy and i have problems with pinch harmonics. if i play my friend's ESP Viper 10 with some seymour duncans on the same patch, i can do harmonics very easily.

my current setup is Digitech RP350 and Marshall MG15CDR

8. thehundredthone

Well if you see yourself managing to save up for a (much) better guitar then I'd say wait for that. But if you see this as being your guitar in the long run then a pickup change wouldn't hurt. Keep in mind though that it's not only the pickups that will suddenly give you the sound you desire.

9. distorted

distorted satan

Get actives, they will compensate a lot for the quality of wood... Other factors that will affect sound are the bridge, strings n to a very minor extent tuners.
    Getting actives will cover up a lot for other things.

10. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

i am saving up for a new guitar. but its gonna take atleast like 18 more months. so for that i need to change the pickups of the current one now

11. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

ah i am kinda not into actives.

any other suggestions for passive pickups? currently i am looking at DiMarzio X2N and Evo 2 for bridge. will change the neck pickup when i have more cash.

12. thehundredthone

SD Custom SH5 was something I was considering once upon a time. Not as middy as the SH4 and not too hot either. You want something as hot as the X2N? Look at the Duncan SH6 or SH15.